Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800
My Carrier: Bell

I hear Q10 can customize sms for each contact, true?

A friend got the Q10 and says custom SMS for contacts works just fine. My Z10 does not. 

Retired
My Device: Q10/Q5/Z10/9930/9860/9310

Re: I hear Q10 can customize sms for each contact, true?

Hey Booteefool,

Thanks for the question.

Custom contact notifications is available for both the BlackBerry Q10 and Z10.  Can you explain what happens when you try to set it on your BlackBerry Z10?  Also what version of BlackBerry 10 software are you running?  Go to Settings>About to find this information.

I look forward to your reply.

Cheers.

-ViciousFerret

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Click  Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800
My Carrier: Bell

It always rings the general sms tone for everything. Never works to customize for each contact sms. I've been telling my carrier Bell Mobility this since I got the phone and they keep saying "I don't know." I have had two reps from the store where I bought it to confirm that I cannot customize any sms. Software release: 10.0.10.85. I check almost daily to see if there are upgrades. I keep getting the run around from bell for the last maybe 4 months-ish? I'm having other problems too, missing phone calls that aren't even logging into my history as missed calls. My fonts change to some kind of long and skinny font recently. I do battery pulls nightly, starting last week, just like I was advised by the manager at Bell Mobility said. Even with daily battery pulls, my fonts changed. Any advice would be great as I can't get anywhere with Bell. Thank you. ty

Contributor
My Device: BB Q10
My Carrier: Rogers

You can customize the contact notifications for phone, messages, BBM on the Q10. 

This has to be done through the contacts.  Choose the contact, select edit, scroll down to the bottom of the edit screen and you can select "Ring Tone and Notifications" to edit type of contact notification (phone, message, BBM).

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9700
My Carrier: Vodafone Australia

My current experience for the last whole month is Contact ringtone customisation only works for email but no SMS which is exceedingly frustrating. I gave up my Bold 9900 to upgrade to Q10 and there are features that I like with 9900 that were taken out - Social Feeds and SMS ringtone customisations - that frustrate me a lot. Even the Contact ringtone customisation is temperamental and the constant replacing of pictures because of Facebook or other social media profile changes for my contacts profiles are extremely annoying too. I eventually have to unlink all the regular contacts profile from their Facebook profile to stop this extremely annoying "feature"

My Device: q10
My Carrier: at&t

i have a similiar problem with my q10 i just got on wednesday and it's up to date on the software.  I can set custom ring tones and message notifications for my contacts.  the custom ring tones work when they call the phone but when they text me it's the ringtone that i set for the phone.

New Contributor
My Device: z10
My Carrier: rogers

Yep! Even with 10.2 OS it's impossible! What a shame!! Smiley Sad why are we losing features that were great!??
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 + Z30 + Playbook 64
My Carrier: Rogers

jojochoco wrote:
Yep! Even with 10.2 OS it's impossible! What a shame!! Smiley Sad why are we losing features that were great!??

We are not loosing any feature, those feature never existed on the BB10 platform, and BB10 is not an upgrade from BBOS7.1, it is an entirely new OS

as for 10.2, what you have installed is a leaked OS, which mean it is not an oficial release, and it may not have all the feature that the official release will have when it will be made available to the user through the carrier (ps. the carriers have not even received the BB10.2 yet)

---------------------------------------------
Using the Playbook and the Z10 and the Z30 and loving them

Martin
New Contributor
My Device: z10
My Carrier: rogers

I know it is a leaked OS and when i'm saying we have lost features of course we are as BlackBerry users. I know they never existed on BB10 but it should have since it was on OS7, the OS10 is supposed to be a better OS.
Don't worry I still love my z10 and still i'm a CrackBerry and also still defending BlackBerry against all iPhones or Android users when they're bashing against it... Smiley Wink
New Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: T-Mobile

I just posted a message about this in General. I have also tried @blackberrydev and @blackberryhelp but nobody will respond. It appears that they are so embarrassed about the lack of this feature that they don't even want to publicly acknowledge it.

It's such a basic feature that I suspect there must be some overall design flaw in the OS that prevents them from being able to implement it. I don't understand how they can have this ability with emails, ringtones, and BBM but not be technologically capaple of implementing it with SMS. But that's the only logical explanation for its absence and their failure to address it in multiple venues (here, twitter, crackberry, pinstack, et al) with their loyal user base.