Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Japanese Input for Z10

Does anyone know if there will be a japanese input in the future for BB10?

I would prefer a native keyboard, but an app would be fine.  I'm stuck using the copy and paste method from a JapaneseIME app, but it's terrible.  I really need this feature, and I hope it will be included in a future software update. Its hard to believe that Japanese input does not come standard.

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Z10 (STL 100-2) -
My Carrier: Optus

Re: Japanese Input for Z10

Hello and welcome!

I searched the word 'Japanese' on this forum and discovered a discussion on the subject but I'm unable to link it.

It does seem to be quite a considerable ommission.

Hopefully someone creates a better app for the language.

I know a little about lots of things,
yet not a great lot about those little-things.
Ultimately, I'm here to learn.
New Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Thanks SImmo,

I guess it's just a matter of waiting to see what happens.

Regular Contributor
My Device: Z10, 9900, 9000 and PB
My Carrier: T-mobile

[ Edited ]

Apparently Blackberry (the company) decided some months ago to abandon Japan (the country). The Japanese consumers demand that they have changes to their products several times a year .. colors ...  shapes ... etc.

This is something that BB and also Sony (the local company) found impossible to maintain.

That being said, the numbers of Japanese phone users outside Japan is very small.

Native keyboard is different from an app. App devs have no access to the OS functions that can make the keyboard set transparent to users. Only BB can do that in the OS.  

It is not likely the Blackberry company will add the Japanese language pack to the far eastern language set.

BUT, they did suprise: Korean was added to the OS1.1 upgrade!.

Have hope.

There have been NO promises from BB on this matter, likely because they feel it only affects a few users.

My Device: Passport, Classic, Leap, Z30, Z10, Z3, Q10, Q5 (import)

Please note that BlackBerry Link can be installed in Japanese (, I mean, with all menus, sentences, and words  displayed in perfect Japanese) . . . its purpose is UNKNOWN.