Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telstra

Just compare Z10 battery life to iPhone5

Recently, I'm in of a two week evaluation of the BlackBerry Z10 and as a last effort to get a handle on real-world battery life, I decided this weekend to pit my iPhone 5 against the Z10 in order to put to rest, or to exacerbate my fears about using a Z10 as my daily driver. For me, battery life is something that adds some degree of stress to my digital life - unnecessary stress. No matter what the great features of a phone are, they are useless to me with a dead battery. 

The setting is simple. I just take two handsets with seasoned batteries off the charger at 6:30AM - configured to sync and check all of the same accounts - and when performing one action with one, doing the identical with the other be it reading email and attachments, reading news, making calls, etc. - and at the end of the day, check the battery levels. No charging allowed during the test period to make sure the differential in charging rates had no effect on the test. I didn't do anything with the iPhone 5 that I couldn't do with the BlackBerry with the same app. 

The only difference between the two that could affect the battery run-down test - the coverage at my job for T-Mobile is awful for 8 hours out of the day. The BlackBerry fades in and out of signal for a good portion of those 8 hours, draining the battery while the LTE-enabled iPhone 5 hums along with a strong signal. 

Even given the above signal issues, I'm here to say that the battery of the BlackBerry is the equal of the standard-bearing iPhone 5. At the end of my day before I put both on the charger for the night, the iPhone's battery ended up at 33% while the BlackBerry, despite suffering signal loss for a good portion of my workday, ended up my test at 24%.

Of course, as always, your mileage my vary in your usage pattern(s), but real-world battery life is so close on these two phones as a baseline that I don't have any more qualms about putting the Z10 in the driver's seat. It also helps that I can keep an extra battery handy on those weird days when the battery use goes nuts with the 'Berry. My iPhone's svelte and sexy body is usually obscured by a Mophie device of one sort or the other negating it's size, weight and composition benefits - something I won't have to deal with carrying a BlackBerry Z10. 

Developer
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: 3 Italia

Re: Just compare Z10 battery life to iPhone5

I agree
About the bad reception zone, I used to go in holiday in an area with very poor coverage: my old HTC died in just 8 hours. The Z10 lasted much more
Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Just compare Z10 battery life to iPhone5

You DON'T want to pit the iPhone against the Q10 if you have any love for the iPhone. With the Q's smaller AMOLED screen, it would embarrass the pants off the iPhone.

Thank you for your interesting post. Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.