Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Z30
My Carrier: Vodafone

Re: Lack of standard VPN support on BlackBerry

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the spam-vertizement.

However my question was a technical one requiring a technical answer. I am obviously aware it must be possible to pay some external entity some money to provide a VPN solution on blackberry.

What I wish to evaluate with the BB10 model in particular is can it be utilized with my existing VPN infrastructure that supports the open IPSEC standards as well as the VPN equipments propriety vendor extensions to those standards. I am happy with a fully open IPSEC standards compliant solution.

Another way to understand my question, is the VPN technology in the BB10 device crippled to require "special" software at the remote endpoint or it is able to conform to IETF standards.

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Curve 9380
My Carrier: Telenor

[ Edited ]

My intention was not to spam , but to help people who had same problem which I had in past - finding VPN provider who support blackberry devices. And I found that - now I can use VPN with both my Blackberry Playbook and BB Curve 9380 . I dont still have BB Z10 because it is not yet available in my country, and I will take it for sure as soon as it become. I assume that BB Z10 use same VPN standards as BB Playbook which are Cisco ipsec based.

Its not Blackberry fault that most of VPN providers doesnt know to implement ipsec based vpn standard in their servers , so they use non-secured pptp and l2tp protocols.

You blame Blackberry for not implementing pptp and l2tp , which are outdated vpn protocol with just basic 64 or maximum 128 bit encryption. Today standard is IPSEC and VPN over SSL which is offered by OpenVPN. These two protocols use much stronger encryption and give to consumers very strong security of their data and traffic over the web.

Blackberry Z10 can 100% use IPSEC , same can do BB OS 7.0 based deviced , and BlackBerry Playbook - but problem here is that most of vpn providers and admins dont have enough knowledge to implement this kind of solutions in their servers  and that creates problems to some consumers like you and/or me.

Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Q10, Z10 and 64GB PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell Mobility

cveks wrote:

My intention was not to spam , but to help people who had same problem which I had in past - finding VPN provider who support blackberry devices. And I found that - now I can use VPN with both my Blackberry Playbook and BB Curve 9380 . I dont still have BB Z10 because it is not yet available in my country, and I will take it for sure as soon as it become. I assume that BB Z10 use same VPN standards as BB Playbook which are Cisco ipsec based.

Its not Blackberry fault that most of VPN providers doesnt know to implement ipsec based vpn standard in their servers , so they use non-secured pptp and l2tp protocols.

You blame Blackberry for not implementing pptp and l2tp , which are outdated vpn protocol with just basic 64 or maximum 128 bit encryption. Today standard is IPSEC and VPN over SSL which is offered by OpenVPN. These two protocols use much stronger encryption and give to consumers very strong security of their data and traffic over the web.

Blackberry Z10 can 100% use IPSEC , same can do BB OS 7.0 based deviced , and BlackBerry Playbook - but problem here is that most of vpn providers and admins dont have enough knowledge to implement this kind of solutions in their servers  and that creates problems to some consumers like you and/or me.

Nicely worded and 100% agree.  I've heard people complaining over at CrackBerry.com forums about the same issue.  PPTP *is* IETF compliant but so are a number of ancient protocols.  IPSec and SSL VPNs are much more flexible, secure and scalable and also represent more fully the use cases that BlackBerry, as a vendor of business-class devices, must design for.

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

I would like to upgrade my iPhone 4S to a BlackBerry Z10 but can't because BB10 doesn't support OpenVPN, and our company uses OpenVPN.  There is a 3rd party open source OpenVPN client for iPhone that works well.   Until BB10 supports it too, this is a show stopper for me.

New Contributor
My Device: Developer
My Carrier: AT&T

This may be regarded as another "spamvertisement"  Smiley Happy but may be helpful as we've built VPNs since the 90's at UUNET and we, WiTopia, were first to launch a consumer VPN service utilizing openVPN way back in March 2005. 

It is correct that PPTP and L2TP are sub-optimal security-wise so if Blackberry was going to start with one, "Cisco" IPsec is the way to go.  It is a very complex protocol so most VPN providers don't attempt to offer it, but it's the standard if you know VPNs. Very speedy and supports up to 256-bit AES encryption.

We have hundreds of playbook and BB10 compatible IPsec servers deployed globally and we closely adhere to all standards so it is definitely possible to do and requires no BES server or special software as we have BB playbook and Z10 users just using built-in BB client.

All our servers are freeBSD and we run IPsec over UDP.  I'm not one of our engineers but perhaps our instructions will give you additional clues as to how to set up your own. https://www.witopia.net/support/setting-up-and-using-your-vpn/

openVPN will, of course, be very nice too when supported, and PPTP and L2TP do come in handy now and then so they woud be welcome as BB opens up. We support them all and can't wait.  For now though, we're quite pleased with the new IPsec openness and, if you're technical, it should be possible to roll your own.

New Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Verizon

Hey Guys, Is your VPN solution useable in IRAN ? As i live in IRAN i want to know if i could set VPN and use BB services and ...
New Contributor

Sadly, Iran is on the list of embargoed countries so we're not allowed to sell VPN services directly to Iran. 

New Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Verizon

I know Smiley Sad , if i buy it from a source out of IRAN can i use it in IRAN ?
i have no problem to provide VPN but i dont know if it works here !
New Contributor

not sure. sorry.
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Curve 9380
My Carrier: Telenor

Mahyarz9 wrote:
I know Smiley Sad , if i buy it from a source out of IRAN can i use it in IRAN ?
i have no problem to provide VPN but i dont know if it works here !

Check SuperVPN site I think their VPN will work in Iran

http://www.supervpn.net/blackberry-z10-vpn.html