Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Regular Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Z10
My Carrier: Jazztel Spain

Re: Locked pin-code

4 different people with same problem at the same moment.... Quite funny...

New Contributor
My Device: z10
My Carrier: Cubio

Yeah, I've got the same issue. I'm from Finland and I bought my phone from an internet auction. The guy who sold it to me had certification that said that he won it from Cubio (maybe the only BB retailer in Finland) and the box was sealed. Now I don't think that my phone is stolen, but the devices pin got locked aswell. The guys at Cubio can't do anything and it seems that BlackBerry can't either do anything about fixing these f****ng phones. How can these phones have the same problem all over the world and theres nothing clearly wrong with them ? So anyways has any1 got this thing fixed yet?

Forums Advisor II
My Device: Z10 10.2.1.3247
My Carrier: T-Mo USA

[ Edited ]

OK, let me give you all my best thoughts about this issue. 

1)  If you have a phone with a blocked PIN (or IMEI) the most likely cause is the phone has been reported lost or stolen.  If you have a phone with a carrier's brand, some carriers themselves are now reporting phones as stolen if a customer walks out on a contract with that carrier and the phone has not been fully paid for.  If this is the case you must go to your seller first as it's their responsibility to sell you a phone that works. 

2)  Sometimes several phones are reported by different customers in the same region as being suddenly blocked.  This is probably because of the way the system for reporting lost/stolen phones is done and not because BBerry has done something weird in that region.  Again, your first line of recourse is your original seller. 

3)  Just because a phone arrives in a sealed box, doesn't mean it isn't stolen.  Recently a large number of BBerry Z10s was stolen from a distribution warehouse.  All those phones were new and sealed -- and all reported stolen.  Some of the OS updates contain a data base of stolen phones, so some have reported the PIN blocked after updating. 

4)  There is a very slight chance that some kind of error is causing the phone to be locked.  There was only one, however, that I've seen on this forum who claims that to be the case and that BBerry sorted it.  But when asked for details none were forthcoming.  However, I have also read of a very rare issue with a bad SIM that can cause this error.  In fact it wasn't just on BBerry phones.  So you might try replacing the SIM with another you have.  But... it's a rare issue. 

5)  Theoretically your phone may have been blocked in error.  I still suggest, if you believe this, you open the issue with your original seller.  However, it would also be a good idea to contact BBerry and make your case. You should also contact your carrier to see if they blocked it in error. 

I doubt anyone wants to hear this, but the vast majority of PIN/IMEI blocked phones are lost or stolen.  Not the result of an error with a carrier or BBerry.

New Contributor

Yeah, but I got it working by booting to factory adjustments, or whatever its called, but anyways it was working. I even downloaded an update to it and then just out of nowhere it stopped working again. The very same blocked pin. I don't know what's up with this god **bleep** phone, but clearly it just does whatever it wants. Why doesn't BlackBerry have an email address to contact about these things? I'm supposed to create a Twitter account to get it working? Pathetic.And they are also selling these phones all over the Europe and don't even have a service number that works here? I'm really disappointed shouldn't ever have bought one of these crappy phones.

Forums Advisor II

[ Edited ]

"Yeah, but I got it working by booting to factory adjustments, or whatever its called, but anyways it was working. I even downloaded an update to it and then just out of nowhere it stopped working again."

Right, read #3 in my post above.  Probably what happened is you updated to an OS that contained a current list of PIN blocked phones.  So, as soon as you update, it's blocked again.  If so, that means your phone was reported lost or stolen. You can get as angry as you like with BBerry, but you should direct your anger to the person who sold you the phone. 

New Contributor

Ok, so why did it start working again at one point maybe after a week or two after it 1st gave me the locked pin message and then stopped working again later. I didn't do anything to it in that time and neither did anyone else. And now I've managed to go online with it without the sim-card and I've logged in to BB protect or whatever that was to check if it really was stolen and whatnot. So why doesn't it block the phone when I'm using it without any sim-card? 

Forums Advisor II

If you are getting a message saying it is PIN blocked (is that the message you are getting?) and you do not believe the phone has been reported stolen or lost -- see my #4 above. Have you tried a different SIM? There are reports (on BBerry and other phones) that a defective SIM could cause this error message. Let's start there.
New Contributor

Ok, so it could be about the SIM? I'm right now using blackberry protect it's on my name and its linked to my phone. The phone is working right now without any sim-card. I've tried it with my friends sim, but he has the same operator as I do, so could it be the whole operator that this phone rejects?

New Contributor

Also I'm sorry if I was a bit rude at some point with my responses I'm really thankful for your help, but I just can't even look at this phone without getting even a bit angry.

Forums Advisor II

No sweat. It can be frustrating. Yeah, was wondering if you could try a SIM from a different operator. But what happened when you put your friend's SIM in? Theoretically if the SIM is the cause you could just try a different SIM, even on the same carrier. But what happened? BTW where are you located?