Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Mobile Hotspot not working on Z10

[ Edited ]

Hey everyone

My Hotspot used to work fine but all of a sudden after the new update it has stopped working completely along with the Tethering function. I have wiped the device, reset it to factory and even completely erased and loaded up a new OS onto the device but the problem still persists.

I get a screen that says,

"Mobile Hotspot Unavailable

The startup has timed out before your Mobile Hotspot session could begin. Check your network connection and try again."

I really don't know what else to do and I was hoping someone from the community has a fix or an idea as to whats happening. Worst case scenario I'll be taking it back to Rogers or something but its just such a hassle to do all that when the phone has been working absolutely flawless.

Retired
My Device: 9500, 8110, 8700, 8220, 9100, 9800, 9810, Z10

Re: Mobile Hotspot not working on Z10

Hello parvezjj

Welcome to the forums. 

Sorry to hear about your issues. I would suggest you ask your mobile network provider to escalate your case to BlackBerry so that logs can be gathered and proper investigation can take place.

-SR

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Is the Hotspot feature available to every user of the Z10 by default or do the carriers (in this case Rogers) have some sort of lock on who is eligible to use it?

The only reason I'm asking is because after lengthy calls back and forth to Rogers, their take on the matter was that since I only have 500mb of data, I can't tether - because they allow tethering/hotspot only for plans with 1gb of data. That makes no sense to me because I've been using the hotspot for a whole month on the Z10 and for months on end with my 9900 prior to that upgrade so it can't be because of the data policy or whatever that they said.

I escalated the issue to a manager at Rogers and she is currently looking at it and trying to get it fixed so I will update this thread as I find out more. Long story short - they initially wanted me to pay $20-25 extra per month to bump up my data by 500mb and lose a whole bunch of features in the process. Makes no sense.

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: z10

I'm having the same issue.

It's very disappointing.

I will be really upset if Rogers is nickel and diming me like that.
Trusted Contributor
My Device: Z10, Playbook

My hotspot works fine (I am on rogers), but I have a 500MB plan with a $5/Mo 500MB add on that was available when I first got the plan 3 years ago.

The add on was specifically to enable tethering. It is more than likely that Rogers -is- blocking hotspot if your plan is not at least 1G.

This of course is totally ridiculous because the user should be able to decide how to use whatever data plan they have. The Carrier should have nothing to do with it except for counting the bytes.

BTW, I get texts from Rogers telling me I have reached 100% of my data plan when I reach 500M. Their own systems can't keep track that I actually have a 500M add on for a total of 1G!

New Contributor

The problem is that, with me atleast, I used to be able to use it and was cut off midway because of whatever restriction they placed within the OS update. A lot of people seem to be reporting similar issues now - http://forums.crackberry.com/blackberry-z10-f254/beware-carrier-updates-778852/

Carriers never cease to amaze me at their money-grab solutions.

Hopefully they resolve this on my line ASAP so I can resume tethering/hotspot usage.

New Contributor
My Device: z10

Rogers technical support fixed it by adjusting my account thus allowing them to properly enable the 'tethering sock. '
I guess there was some sort of issue on my account that was preventing the sock from taking effect.