Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Solutions: 6,396
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Need help on BBMaps

the sideloaded Google Maps works great for me. But then so does the stock BBMaps, also.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Regular Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Z10
My Carrier: T-Mobile

One interesting thing I am noticing is that BBMaps does work if I'm stationary and not in a vehicle.  However in a car, especially a moving car, it just plain and simple doesn't work (Poynt doesn't seem to be affected)

Could there be some setting that disables BBMaps while driving (kinda defeats the whole point but some car navigation systems are equally exasperating with that feature)?  

Regular Contributor

OK, I posted too soon. The stupid app found the address I input and displayed a map from my current location to the target location. Then when I clicked start Route (the triangle) it now gives the standard error 1013: Your GPS location can't be found. Move to a location with a clear view of the sky and try again... I just need to uninstall this worthless app since it never works.

fschutrumpf, when you're seeing these errors on BBMaps, can you note if on the main screen top whether or not you also see the Location Services icon as mentioned earlier?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
Regular Contributor

I just downloaded GPS Maps using Google Maps and while it seems mildly functional, it's a clear confirmation to me that the suite of core applications and overall user experience on the Z10 is just substantially inferior to what Blackberry used to make available on its 88xx devices.  I want BB to succeed and just don't see it.  The GPS Maps using Google Maps had a sleugh of reviews from people with exactly my BBMaps issues.  How can a company (BB) succeed when it just does such an awesome job at alienating its core (former) fan base....?

Regular Contributor

Hi J The icon is there. I don't see a correlation between the icon and Location Services actually working though. And I used to wonder if that move to clear sky error 1013 was something based on my vehicle having a metal roof, but I keep my phone in the middle of the dash far away from me and under glass. And now in a house with no EM shield type of substance around me. BB Maps just seems to not be able to generate the step by step route after correctly locating both my current location and destination....

Well, that's your opinion. Not fact.

For one thing, the 88xx series of devices were released in 2007, and have been discontinued for some while, and had a horrible lack of apps. The BB10 series is quite the opposite with over 120,000 apps available, and to the specific point, I don't know of another user with the BBMaps you're having and I see very few other complaints about the BBMaps app.

By the way, just curious, are you on Tmobile in the US, UK, De, or ?

Knowledge Base Updates
Regular Contributor

T-Mobile US. In Denver. In a urban area with generally good GPS info. Not the total boonies where no map info would be available...

Interesting indeed.  I have a friend in the same urban Denver area.

Let me ask their experience with BBMaps.

Knowledge Base Updates
Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Q10

Mine is Q10 on AT&T (formerly Z10, experience for both the same).

I'm in Denver, never had the error that a GPS location cannot be found.

The only issue I have had with mine is that it always finds my location... to the extent that sometimes I try and open an address link from a message and Maps opens up and drops a pin in my current location... Then I have to manually key the address I am searching for.

I am not an extensive user, however, so I will test a little and see what it turns up.