05-01-2013 12:00 PM - edited 05-01-2013 12:12 PM
05-01-2013 12:20 PM
JSanders, I followed the suggestions of you and others who said deal with the carrier. It did no good.
ok. Again, you're not finishing the story. You were put in touch with BlackBerry tech support.
Were you issued an incident number?
Did BlackBerry tech support laugh and hang up on you?
Is it still an open issue BlackBerry?
What "did no good".
Contacting a "BB Exec" via LinkedIn is no official incident and is not logged as such.
What IS your carrier's responsibility is to support your device hardware and software. When BlackBerry hears from carriers, they log issues. If you refuse to take that route, you're avoiding the best and optimal way to communicate these issues to BlackBerry.
I don't know if it's my memory or not, but has that comment disappeared from the last update to BB Link or is it still there?
The post is there there, Feb 17th, I believe.
PIN: C0001B7B4 Display/Scan Bar Code
PIN: C0005A9AA Display/Scan Bar Code
05-01-2013 01:34 PM
05-01-2013 01:43 PM
05-01-2013 02:16 PM
Can you please give us an update, if BB Q10 has the ability to sync outlook data (contacts, calender, tasks, notes, etc) like the way the BB Bold was able to do (using desktop manager)? We understand that Z10 didn't have that ability in their native app, and was only able to transfer data from old BB to BB10, but not desktop Outlook to BB10. This feature is essential for business users who update their desktop and BB constantly. Sync of Outlook data between the two is a must. Please let us know if Q10 has that function. Thank you.
05-01-2013 02:23 PM
05-01-2013 09:18 PM - edited 05-01-2013 09:31 PM
JSanders, by way of winning your support and understanding, I did the following:
1) Regarding AT&T involvement, I would point out that in the past, BB desktop manager for AT&T (and I suspect other carriers) was provided directly from the AT&T website (after whatever proprietary modifications they felt were needed). As you and likely others recall, this often meant that we would not see the latest BB Desktop Manager sometimes until weeks to months after the BB DM release.
2) This is not the case with BB Link, which now, to the best of my knowledge, released directly from BB. not AT&T or other carriers.
3) I communicated with AT&T tech support by online chat about 2 weeks ago. They simply said they could do nothing else and would not create an incident report
4) In order to satisfy the steps which you, independently, feel are needed and recommended you again today, and to inform your future comments on this forum, I directly called AT&T tech support today.
The tech support team looked through logs and acknowledged that there were "comments" about users not being able to use BB Link to connect to their new Z10 devices. I informed her that was not the issue, that I specifically was asking about the direct USB Outlook sync. She reported that she saw some notes, and looked through them to see if there might be any "updated" information she could provide . There was none. She said she was unable to create an incident report because this was a BB issue. But, she said there was still more she could do.
5) The AT&T tech support rep then asked if I could hold while she called AT&T data support. I had to leave the line, but gave her my number. She called back in about 20 minutes. She said she had spoken to AT&T data support, who were unable to provide further information, and that AT&T data support then contacted Blackberry tech support directly regarding the issue. To quote her, more or less, the AT&T data support team reported back to her that BB tech support said the following: "Blackberry is aware of the situation. Blackberry is committed to making the Z10 user experience as good as possible. There will be ongoing improvements made over time." THAT"S IT. The AT&T tech support person said neither she, nor AT&T data support, would create an "incident", let alone give an incident number. She was very pleasant, took it as far as she could, to Blackberry, and that AT&T was considering this a BB issue.
5) I lastly tried to call BB directly. The BB website clearly states that any tech support issues regarding a smartphone should be addressed with the carrier (as I did above). Furthermore, BB provides NO phone support for BB software, such as BB Link, and refers users to online forums, which are finding is futile. The link to the BB support page is below if you or others would like to verify my observations.
6) From an earlier post of mine, the BB exec I contacted was Luke Reimer, who is listed as director of social media, who comments periodically on the BBRY user community page in LinkedIn.
7) Unless you have futher suggestions regarding how to handle this, I think it is unproductive to be advising individuals on this forum to continue to call their carrier and ask for resolution of the Outlook sync to their smartphones (both Z10 and Q10) by USB
8) For the effort I expended in following your suggestions, I would ask that you, and others, at a minimum check out the seekingalpha.com website, register, and join the ongoing dialogue to elevate this issue in the eyes of Blackberry shareholders, techies, interested parties, and those simply tracking in the fate of the company. The squeaky wheel gets the grease aphorism applies here. in simply raising this issue in that forum, BBRY and the overall business community may see that there are many individuals who feel this is a major problem that warrants their attention, or at least a response. That is,if there are truly more than just a few of us....
9) If we don't make noise over this issue, and if this issue truly affects a significant number of users, BB may never get around to addressing it, as best as any of us can tell. We may see a) Z10's and Q10's returned far more than we would like b) we may all have to all buy BES for ourselves when it finally is compatible with BBOS 10 to sync on a secure platform we control c) we will otherwise be forced to sync using outlook.com, gmail, or yahoo accounts, etc in some less secure way via the cloud or d) none of this will matter because BBRY goes kaput in the next few years
I certainly hope this sync issue is on their minds, and I certainly wish that fix is imminent as they promised in February and continue to promise in the BB Link software. I hope my entire post is meaningless in the next 24 hours if a fix is released!!! However, a single post I read in the last few days suggested it might be "out" in late May or June, but that is thin evidence. If you have another mechanism to reach BB about this, or AT&T, please let me know.
Otherwise, please join me and others on posts on www.seekingalpha.com which is read internationally by thousands of people on a daily basis and comment as appropriate regarding this issue.
Recommending that we call our carriers and get this fixed through the carriers is going nowhere and is an unproductive use of people's time.
05-01-2013 09:39 PM - edited 05-01-2013 09:51 PM
I'm glad Companionlink works and may be the best option.
The app looks great. Providing I were comfortable with uploading to the cloud, which appears required for Companionlink (while it is a smartphone to desktop USB direct sync, I believe it requires an upload to the cloud first, just like outlook.com, etc) I'd like to know what they mean by "secure".
I've done a quick look over their website and can't tell if the data is encrypted, or what they mean by "secure". Please send along any information you might have, and I will keep looking as well!
I tried the BB10OS PC Outlook sync, which I believe was an outgrowth of Companionlink, and was created to avoid the cloud upload, and could not get it to work. I spoke with their tech support last week and have not heard back.
It is possible that both Blackberry and the company making BB10OS PC Outlook sync are both having similar probems getting Outlook and the new BB 10 OS to talk to each other direclty as many of us would like. Right now, the cloud looks like the only way to do things.
I hope to learn good things about the cloud security, eg at least encrypted, etc...
If the "cloud" upload is only an option, I'm on board, just not clear from their website...