Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Classic and Blackberry Q10
My Carrier: Vodafone UK

Re: New Blackberry 10 Sync to Outlook

I agree. The new update to the BB Link USB syncing process with Outlook at last offers the traditional secure USB synchronisation between Z10 and Q10 and Outlook that we have all been waiting for since January when the Z10 was launched.

BB have taken their time, but now it has arrived, I think that we should all recognise what has been done and move on. The Z10 and the Q10 are a quantum leap ahead of the OS7 devices, with some brilliant features which add to their attraction as business devices rather than toys on steroids from "you know who"!

Well done BB. Pity you took so long to get the synchonisation issue solved. But now that you have, I thank you for a pair of brilliant devices.

On balance, I prefer the Q10 and its superb keyboard.

And yes, in answer to an earlier query, the new USB synch does work perfectly. When I re-synched yesterday evening, having added a couple of addresses to my Outlook address book, I found the added addresses on my Q10 on completion of the synch!

So all is well in the world!

PJCMoray
Trusted Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Classic and Blackberry Q10
My Carrier: Vodafone UK

Agreed - completely.
PJCMoray
Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Z10/Bold 9700
My Carrier: Rogers/Sprint

Wondering why Outlook Notes has been such a delayed or non-issue? Outlook.com doesn't sync these with desktop,either, and BB Link has excluded. That complicated, or simply not that important with the likes of Evernote out there?

Personally, I tend to use Notes a lot and sync between Outlook (desktop), iPad and iPhone via iTunes, so to have these sync across to Bberry Z10 would be great and would only further my eventual (hopeful) migration back to BBerry for my business phone. Thoughts?
Trusted Contributor
My Device: playbook 16gb, blackberry z10
My Carrier: at&t

Now just to be able to get 10.1 os!!

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

I agree, in fact, that is why I purchased my Z10 in the first place because I was tired of using Companion Link iwht my old android.  Technical support told me that it is being worked and I remember seeing somewhere that it will be in the next update for BlackBerry Link coming soon.

Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Z10/Bold 9700
My Carrier: Rogers/Sprint

"Coming soon" - I remember when those words used to mean something than "leave us alone - you'll get it when you get it!" Haha
Regular Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: ATT

[ Edited ]

I agree with the disappointment, frustration, even outrage, at how this has all been handled. Hate to repeat myself, but totally unjustifiable what BBRY has done to loyal users who stuck it out over the years, not to let them know this piece of the ecosystem would be missing. Unbelievable.

I've been extremely fortunate in that I've been able to get Outlook to Sync.

I'm using a Z10 via AT&T. I currently am using BB 10 OS v 10.0.10.116. My Z10 says there are no "updates" to this. (I suspect this is why I can't see "Skype" in BB World). I recently downloaded BB Link that was just released. I did not receive any notification it was available, other than "buzz" that it was out. I went to the BBRY web site and downloaded it. (for what it's worth, I did not uninstall my old BB Desktop Manager as I wasn't sure I wouldn't be downgrading back to my Torch). The BB Link version I have is 1.1.1.26.

A couple of points I noted along the way in syncing.

1) I started with a clean "wipe" of contacts and calendar

2) I have many many contacts. I went through Outlook and "cleaned" them up manually for the usual random data entry errors

3) I'm not advocating it, but as I've mentioned before I've used "PIM Backup and Restore" to wipe my Z10 of old data. This is not the only way to do it, but it's what I did (from mucked up data transfers with PC Outlook Sync 3rd party product that never worked for me).

4) Initially I did a 1 way sync TO the Z10. Granted I have many many contacts from years of entering names and no "spring cleaning", upwards of 2000 contacts. The process of the 1 way sync took over 1/2 hour.

5) After backing up Outlook, (and also doing a sync to my iPhone 5 via iTunes in case of disaster, as I used both in tandem), I then did a two-way sync.

6) The first time I did a two way sync it took a LONG time, 20 to 25 minutes. It seemed like it took FOREVER. It has since gone faster. I have absolutely no idea why. My laptop is running Vista (yes, believe it or not), and is 3 to 4 years old, so if this is processor dependent on the computer, that could be part of the reason.

7) What was NOT obvious during the two way sync was that I learned I had to left click on the lower left hand corner of the BB Link window on the tab that listed my Z10 (the other tab being my laptop). I can't tell you at what point this is, as I left clicked on the "up" arrow to the right of the Z10 tab a few times to see what the heck was going on.

8) Finally, one of the left clicks informed me that BB Link was preparing a "preview" of the data sync. When it finally gave me this option, I clicked on it and a window opened informing me that certain events on my Z10 older than 30 days would be deleted. Had I not given the "OK" for this, I'm not sure the calendar sync would have worked. In fact, I think the first time I tried the 2way sync it did not work, and I only saw contact transfers. For me this was a key step in making the 2way sync work

9) I've since been doing a few 2way syncs and all seems to be going OK for calendar and contacts

10) I have not been able to sync tasks/notes. I read a note last week that BBRY made a conscious decision not to include this functionality via USB. I hope it's inaccurate and will post a link if I can find it.

Overall, I'm glad this is working now, and will share any other details I can find that may help others.

If all else fails, iPhone 5 will sync no problem USB. What happens with the new version that will be announced for the iOS platform??? Well, as we all know, it's impossible to tell what will be thrown at us next.

If the NSA issue, Google, Microsoft, etc hacking issue did nothing else, it reinforced the concept that what goes in the cloud stays in the cloud, so it stands to reason to offer USB direct sync. May not protect from NSA, but at least it is a more cautious approach, for all the folks who think the "cloud" is a nice fluffy place to hang out.

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Passport
My Carrier: AT&T

Dear MPF94025 ,

This was a very valuable piece of information you just shared with us. Kudos for giving it a try befre you upgraded to OS 10.1!

I am in exactly the same boots (ATT, 10.0.10.116 OS, BB Link 1.1.1.26).

Were you able to sync your native Calendar? Apparently, the software is unable to sync that.

I also did an experiment. Downloaded the Third Party  App today from bb10outlooksync.com. I was unable to find any usable review about it  ut I couldn't believe they would keep offering the software for sale if it did not work at all.

They also released some updates and FAQs. So after I carefully backed up my Outlook 10 file and by Z10, I followed the instructions word by word... and it worked perfectly. Even the notes were synced into a new folder of the Remember App called Deja Office. But my Contacts and native Calendar synced absolutely perfectly.

I intentionally did not wipe out my Z10 contacts or calendar to see if its can truly keep the newer entries and it DID! It took about 1/2 hour but they mention that it takes 1-2 seconds per entry and I had about 800 contacts (plus a lot more new on the Z10). I have not used Outlook since March 22, since I was unable to sync anyways, just backed up my Z10 fequently.

I will keep syncing my phone and if it keeps working I just buy the software (just using free evaluation period). Just the ability to sync my memos worth the money.

Regular Contributor
My Carrier: ATT

andalex, thanks for your comments.

I have to say I purchased BB 10 PC Outlook Sync and spent a month trying to get it to work via direct USB sync. I tried many, many times, and found multiple missing contacts and partial calendar sync. Maybe my mistake was purchasing it and not using the trial version!

I understand they are part of the same company that offers Deja Office, which is a cloud based sync system. So I guess I would just ask if the sync you're doing is totally USB or is it via their servers, which they state are encrypted?

If you have any step by step tips for how to make PC Outlook Sync work, I'd very much appreciate it and it may work for others as well. I did have the opportunity for speaking with tech support for that product, and they were able to replicate some of the errors I was seeing (duplicate entries, contact information that got shared by different contacts, etc. Were never quite able to get it worked out. They suggested I try the parter Companion Link product, but it would have meant doing sync via the web. So, would definitely value step by step. It would be great to have another sync mechanism, esp since I've already purchased the darn thing (I was trusting it would work....)

I've also been able to get the Z10 to sync new data back to Outlook, and yes I just use 1 main, native calendar in Outlook and on Z10. The key was following that darn tag on the BB Link screen, watch the spinning wheel, and mousing over it from time to time to see what was going on. It was the only way I found out it was waiting for me at some point to "accept" the changes it was making. If I did not do that I think it is programmed to abort, or freeze. BBRY needs to put a popup window in the next iteration so that an unsuspecting user doesn't waste time wondering why it's not working, etc

Highlighted
Contributor
My Carrier: Virgin

I can not get two way sync due to the lack of OS 10.1 it is not available to me yet so more of the waiting game! BlackBerry software on desktop keeps generating errors so I uninstalled that. All very disappointing. I am not surprised most people on this forum run two phones. I want one phone to do all the things I need so I think my patience is on a thread and I will be chopping the Z10 in for something that just works like the old BBs. So if anybody wants a Z10 barely used with poor performance let me know?