Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH995), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: New Blackberry 10 Sync to Outlook

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

AndersonA wrote:

I just want to be clear.  At present, the new BB Z10 does not sync with Microsoft Office?

Well, strictly speaking...no...not ever. But the true question isn't about "Office", it's about "Outlook". And, as has been covered so much in this thread, BlackBerry is bringing the direct sync (e.g., PC/USB) back...but you have to read what they say officially on the matter, which is posted in this thread (and many other places).

AndersonA wrote:

I recently purchased a BB Playbook so I could have a tablet that syncs with my phone.  So far I'm loving the Playbook.  The price was right and it does what i need it to do.

Depending on how you are doing that, you may or may not be happy with BB10 as it stands today. For example, if you are using Bridge to control your BB-based items (email, calendar, contacts), that does not exist (today) with BB10 devices.

AndersonA wrote:

I use Outlook for everything, email, contacts, calendar.  I love the fact that every device i have, from computer, phone and tablet stays synced.  I resisted switching to an iphone or Galaxy Note because of it.  Now will I have to rethink my position?  I would be interested in being kept updated on the company's plans for the future.  Your nich has always been buisness.  Many people I know carry two phones, a BB for work and anouther for play.  Why can't we have both?

From what you describe, I see no requirement for you to need tethered sync. OTA sync can do exactly the same thing -- it can keep your desktop Outlook, your BB10 device, your PlayBook, and many other devices (I've been testing with a Droid in the mix) all synchronized for the items you mention. So, if you have no security or other concern about using "the cloud" as your transport medium between all of these, then the OTA sync method would seem to be the right solution, and you'd no longer have to ever do a wired sync, and would receive updates made anywhere to everywhere else much quicker (nearly instant, and likely quicker than waiting for time to conduct a tethered sync).

But, again, that's only for the specific items you mentioned -- email, calendar, and contacts. So taking you at your words, you seem to be an excellent candidate to actually abandon the wired sync methods and shift totally over to OTA.

Perhaps I misunderstand?

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Trusted Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Classic and Blackberry Q10
My Carrier: Vodafone UK

Sorry to be a complete need, but could you please remind me what is meant by OTA?

Thanks
PJCMoray
Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

OTA Over the air

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Trusted Contributor

Oh dear! Pretty obvious if you think about it - which clearly I didn't .

Sorry and thanks.

PJCMoray
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Z10 + 9900
My Carrier: T-Mobile Ger

Hi there,

do we have any news according the non OTA sync Outlook to Z10??

was there an update to BB Link in the mean time?

The Post of Ty was already to weeks ago, and it says that in the next view weeks there is an update for BBLink.

My Problem is that i cant even get the contacts and calendar from the 9900 via the device switch option to my new z10. neither via the cable to link connection nor via the sd card data transfer.

Does anyone have any recommendations??

I dont want to set up an outlook.com account to sync the PIM data OTA.

Kind Regards

Chile3000

Solutions: 6,376
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

No ETA has been stated, but judging from the information given, I'd say it is about due.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Ok Thx.

But what was ETA again??

Thanx in advance.

New Contributor

sorry got it.

Thanx.

Trusted Contributor

There was an update realease for the OS10 to the Z10 device yesterday, so I guess we are not too far away.

I have found that if I plug my 9900 into Blackberry Link through a USB cable and follow the instructions about downloading my contacts, calendar etc info on to the Link, and then plugging in my Z10 into the BB Link (again using the USB cable) I can update/synchronise my contacts between the 9900 and the Z10 but, despite what is stated on the BB Link after this operation, there is no movement in the calendar entries on the Z10. It is calendar synching which is the big hassle.

Even if you use the "DejaOfice" side-loaded solution (BB has yet to officially approve this app) the calendar entries can only be found on your Z10 on the "DejaOffice" app - but they are there!

I am running my 9900 and my Z10 in parallel until BB bring out the USB synch with Outlook with the USB cable. At least this way I have the advantage of the very much improved visual presentation of e-mails and, above all, attachments, especially Excel and PdF attachments, on the Z10. They are stunning.

And no, I do not work for Blackberry. I am a boring 70+ retired merchant banker, sitting in front of my fire in the Cotswolds in the UK, admiring the grey sky and the 0 degree temperature!

Roll on the release of the USB synch to Outlook any moment now?????

Onwards and upwards

PJCMoray
PJCMoray
Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Bell Canada

If you do not wish to set up outlook.com and other over the air (OTA) means, the best option is to side load dejaoffice and install companionlink on your PC. At least that is my opinion if you are using a Windows PC.

I did not want to use OTA synch so that is what I did.

Running dejaoffice and companion link.

There is a caveat to this arrangement as synch happens in dejaoffice and it does not update the native Z10 calendar.

I forward my outlook calendar events and contacts to to Z10 so changes are automatically updated on both Z10 and outlook.