Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Contributor
My Device: BB Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: New Blackberry 10 Sync to Outlook

Couldn't agree more. I think I'll need to return this colossal mistake back to the carrier.
Contributor
My Device: BB Z10

I think I'll need to sell my BB stock before the rest of the world realizes how stupid this is!!
Solutions: 6,397
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Damian, I am affected by this as much as anyone.

But you know what, this forum is a "community support" forum. It is not CrackBerry where 95% of theads end up in the gutter.

It's one thing to voice displasure, but another thing to double post  and make threats and all.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
My Device: bold 9000
My Carrier: vodafone

I hope for another miilion complaints on this thread, so bb will realise they made a big mistake here.
Contributor
My Device: 8310, Playbook, Z30, 9900
My Carrier: Fido

Re: BB10 will not sync with Outlook with no BB solution in sight

[ Edited ]

I too was FLOORED by the fact that BB dropped (stand-alone) Outlook sync from the new phones and tools. That was not only a key differentiator from all the other smartphones but a vitally useful and convenient feature.

How on earth BB rationalized that business decision is beyond logic. Sure, the businesses that use MS Outlook Exchange have not lost the private OTA sync capability but all the smaller businesses and loyal personal users using Outlook have. Given BB's recent struggles, alienating any part of your loyal customer base, especially by scrapping something as trivial to implement in their new Link software, seems suicidal to me. I can understand that they want to target the masses with the new Link software and make it more "cool" and simpler to use for the hipsters. That said, why not just add Z10 support in the previous BB Desktop Software which already supports direct Outlook sync?

The bottom line is that I will be returning my Z10 and swapping it for a 9900. This is very dissapointing since I have been with BB from the very beginning and was looking forward to the new phones. Don't know if BB will address this in the future but until then, the new phones are not appealing to me. All the cool things in BB10 can't compensate for losing one of the most useful features of the previous generation (for me at least). If the cool stuff could, I would have switched to iphone or android a long time ago.

Now for my rant about the lack of direct Outlook sync capability on the BB10 and the cloud sync trend...

Sure there are workarounds but they have some shortcomings, require more steps, and worst of all, require using cloud services which I am definitely NOT keen on. I do not wish to have all my business and opersonal info on the cloud. Especially with US law allowing warantless access to cloud data. Some say that only having your contacts and calendar in the cloud is not a huge security risk but I completely dissagree. Not just because many businesses' privacy policies prevent it (including medical, legal, etc) but something as simple as putting your personal contacts in the cloud essentially makes all your friends and family's personal info INCLUDING BIRTH DATES subject to hacking. With identity theft being the plague it is, the last thing I want is to expose my personal contacts to it more than they already are. You may also divulge personal info or strategic business info in calendar entries. Sure, cloud services have safeguards against hackers and no doubt outlook.com has implemented measures to protect your data but hackers are a smart and dedicated bunch and as we all have seen in the news, they can and do breach corporate and government systems and access sensitive data.

The bottom line for me is that cloud is fine for sharing trivial stuff like pictures and public info but anything sensitive that you can keep on your personal computer is best kept there. You are a much less likely hacker target than the big boys (outlook.com, google, etc).

Just my 2 cents.

New Contributor
My Device: BB10
My Carrier: Bell

[ Edited ]

I surely agreed that it is a deal breaker NOT to have outlook sync....

There is a software that I will try to see if it can sync outlook with the BB10. The name is companion and it must have the software installed on the BB10 which is named DejaOffice.

If this does not work as I needed to, I will return the BB10, go back to my old BB9700 and wait......to see if Blacberry will survive.

There is all lot to say about what Blackberry did NOT say during the marketing showdown....

Forums Advisor III
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700
My Carrier: BELL

I was on the phone with BB support about some other issues. Apparently they are aware of how angry their customers are about this issue. The tech support person was agrreng they are aware. They now realize they are loosing sales. They know phones are being returned over this issue. There are users who will tolerate this. They will manually make their Outlook entries. The phone is easy to back up. 

I am hoping they quickly resolve this issue. I personally know about fifty people who are very dissaponted. Some returned the phone because of this.  My sister returned hers and got an alternative one that will sync to Outlook. Where she works about a dozen returned their phones. 

It's a terrible thing BB came out with a terrific phone and then they throw a crowbar at it!  

For some reason this company always seems to find a way to screw up a good product. Their tablet failed in the beginning because it lacked spell correction and a client email provram, and also some other buggy problems. I put up with the bugs because I used it bridged it for emails and tethered it for browsing. 

With the Playbook the wireless tether does not work with the Z10. I have to make it work with the WiFi hot spot only. I have been in touch with BB tech support about this. 

Jerry G.
Contributor
My Device: z10
My Carrier: Telus

Jerry the frustrating part is going they have not made any comments and if the did many would wait to return it if they say we will fix fast. They could even make it a paid app and most would pay

Contributor
My Device: BB10
My Carrier: Koodo

Hi Jerry, if you don't mind me asking, which phone os did your sister switch to that allows her to sync with Outloo.  I ask becauuse I have  already invested too much time and am willing to change to whatever phone will do the best job of sync email/contacts/calendar with my desktop version of Outlook. 

Thanks 

Contributor
My Device: z10

Phone has been out for a week

upset that EVERYTHING isn't working out of the box.

returning phone because it hasn't been fixed yet.

Sure it's one thing to be upset they haven't fixed it yet, it's another thing entirely to ditch the phone because one thing hasn't been fixed yet.  Especially when support have stated they are aware of the issue.

Are people really switching phones because they don't want to manually add contacts?

Also, is any of this stemming from the fact that it's MICROSOFT outlook, a rival phone company?