Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Classic and Blackberry Q10
My Carrier: Vodafone UK

Re: New Blackberry 10 Sync to Outlook

Very helpful - thanks.
PJCMoray
Regular Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: ATT

[ Edited ]

So, as  a long time PC user, there are few things I go back to when software doesn't work.

These "suggestions" presume all your contacts and calendar items are in Outlook, and you are not  relying on your BB device or SIM card as your "source of truth". DO NOT follow these suggestions if Outlook is not your source of truth, as these suggestions to follow will wipe your SIM card of contacts and any contacts/calendar items you have on your device at the moment.

1) restore the BB device to original settings, basically as picked up from the store. One has to be careful here not to cut off connectivity to the wireless provider. At one point in this process, I basically reset things, ie any apps I had loaded (it's easy enough to reload them from BB world). I would call local provider FIRST and ask what the consequences are of the "reload", as in "will it disconnect me from AT&T?" (anyone on this forum who knows, please chime in....). It's also possible to do this, I think, by removing SIM Card first, to avoid the reload doing anything to the SIM card data. If you have set a PW, remove the PW before proceeding, just makes things cleaner.

This reset is done by going to BB Link "Settings" and picking "Reload Device Software". NOTE: per John_Clark, page 88 of this thread, if taking this approach, t is best to leave the SIM card in the device.

NOTE: alternatively, instead of reloading the "factory" software, one can go to BB device and select "Settings", "Security", "Wipe Device".

2) Once BB device is restored to factory settings detach from PC. If SIM card was removed, replace it in device. Hopefully phone is still functioning, otherwise might require a call to AT&T or visit to local store. (f you are desperate enough to get 2way sync going, this is nothing, and certainly better than returning the new BB device if nothing else as a last measure)

3) Uninstall BB Link. Sometimes I will use a speciatly uninstaller, such as Revo uninstaller (free)  to clean up stuff that gets left behind in the registry. It's amazing sometimes what gets left behind and blocks a "fresh" install.

4) After BB Link is uninstalled, reboot  computer, then reinstall the BB Link software "fresh" by downloading latest version from BB website. Turn off any antivirus software briefly during the install so that necessary components are not blocked.

5) Follow installation instructions for BB Link. Login to BB account. At this point, the BB Link software should show up on the PC and in the lower left corner of the BB Link window, it should show your computer  name (whatever you call it, for the sake of discussion I'll call it xxxx)

6) At this point, you should see also a functional BB Link recognizing things on your computer. A good first step! The only Music, Pictures, Videos, and Documents that are listed are those that are in the folders that BB Link installed for your device. If you pick, eg, iTunes as your music source, it will automatically link ot your iTunes folder, I believe. With respect to pictures, videos, documents, BB Link is smart enough to look in your "Users" folder to see what is available, but it will not import those into/onto your BB device unless you go to that section of the BB Link software (by clicking on the music bar, flower, film strip (for video), or page (for document) icons). Then you can specify what you want on the BB device. Best at the start not to complicate things by messing with that as you try to get 2 way sync set up.

As an aside, my AT&T sales rep first told me that I could take my Z10 home and connect it by USB to the PC and the BB Link software would "automatically" install. I did not have the pleasure of that experience. I connected, and in general, it's BAD for USB devices to connect to Windowsbefore drivers are installed as Windows sometimes installs what it thinks are the best drivers and the device never connects properly afterwards. Fortunately, I survived this and did not have to reinstall Windows. Bottom line, I think it's best to have BB Link on the PC, reboot PC, before connecting the device.

7) Now that your BB Link is installed, go back to the device and login to your BB account. I think probably good idea to be logged into same BB account on BB Link and device before connecting

8) Next step is to connect your BB device, I recommend using a direct USB cable, no hub. Hopefully, your PC will recognize the BB device and go through the usual steps of telling that drivers are being installed, etc.

9) If somehow you forgot to "blank" the device PW, it's possible you might be asked for the device PW to continue. Once you connect, you will hopefully see your PC recognize your BB device. For example, when I connect, my PC states: BB Device Manager Blackberry  (Pin ..........) has been connected to the system. Initializing device access. Then after a few moments, a tab appears on the BB Link window with a spinning wheel showing the name of my device. Then in the lower right of the PC screen Taskbar I get a message "Initializing Storage Volume Access". Then usually something like the device has been mapped to volumes X: and Y: on the PC. Sure enough, if I then to to "My Computer", I'll see Drive C:, then down the list will see "Blackberry (device name, PIN) (Y) and a second listing for Blackberry (device name, PIN) (Z) . This tells me, as afar as I know that the PC is appropriately recognizing the device.

10) During step 9, next to the tab in the lower left BB Link window, next to your PC, you should see your Blackberry device. Another good step is then achieved. There is nothing major about this, except that if you DON"T see this, then the problem may not be with the Outlook sync, but rather with the PC not recognizing the device properly.

11) At this point you can go to your "Contacts" icon and open the app. It should be blank. In the lower left corner of the app are 3 bars. Touch this. It will list the core groups that the BB device comes with, ie BBM, Linkedin, Favorites, SIM card, etc. I would click on each one to make sure they are blank. I would especially check the SIM card as this is mischievous and can cause duplicates that have hung around from prior efforts at sync'ing. If you still have any contacts, either delete via BB, or use the "PIM Backup and Restore" app I've described via BB world to "clean house".

While this handling of "contacts" is somewhat potentially messy, and possibly the source of problems with duplicates, etc, it is also very powerful in that you have the ability to list contacts in the same "Contacts" app. It is like a "Hub" for contacts. You can select or deselect what you want showing at any given time.

I think another possible source of conflict is a situation where the end user has contacts associate with an email account, such as Yahoo, Hotmail, Google, etc: if one syncs email with these accounts, you will be asked if you want to import email, contacts, calendar etc. I would recommend (if you want Outlook as your single source of "truth") do NOT bring in contacts and calendar items from these accounts, at least at first, as it will make things really confusing if you see duplicates, etc.

12) Go to calendar app on the device  and see if any items show up here. Should be blank.

13) Within the BB device "Calendar" app, again, in the lower left corner see what "accounts" are listed. if you've just reinstalled from factory state, the only calendar that should be present is "Home" calendar

14) At this point, there should be no contacts and no calendar items on the device

15) Next, use your mouse to select the tab in the lower left corner of the BB Link window. Then, pick "settings' for the device.

16) There should be three choices for settings: "Backup", "Synchronization", and "Wireless Sync"

17) Under "Synchronization" options, you'll see "account" This should say "Microsoft Outlook - Outlook".  Unless you've given your Outlook account a funky name. Bottom line, So make sure it is syncing to the proper Outlook file you use. Personally, I DO NOT have "Sync automatically" checked, as the device takes so long to be recognized, I'm concerned that the sync mechanism may start before the device is fully recognized. I DO have checked "Notify me if syncing content will delete....."  I have the box for "Contacts" checked. I click on "configure" to ensure it is set to synch with the "Contacts" folder in Outlook (make sure you don't have multiple contacts folders in Outlook). If it is not set to sync to the right set of contacts in Outlook, you can change this by clicking on the folder icon next to the text box. FOR MY FIRST SYNC I recommend sync 1 way to device. This prevents the Outlook file from being corrupted. . For conflict resolution, I select "Always use my Computer Data"

18) Unders "Synchronization" you'll also see a similar situation for  "Calendar". I'd recommend confirming it is syncing to the proper folder in Outlook, that Outlook "wins" any conflict, and that it is a 1 way sync TO device.

19 At this point it is safe to go to the tab in the lower left corner of the screen, click on the tab for your BB device and give go -ahead to sync device. Needless to say, you should have a BACKUP of your Outlook.PST file.

20) During the sync, you have to click on the tab for your device multiple times, The first sync, depending on the number of contacts you have, can take a long time up to 30 or 45 minutes. At some point, you may be asked to give the go ahead for the calendar sync (but this is usually only later if you have items that are to be deleted on the BB device, eg  calendar entries that are > 30 days old, as device settings for calendar are fixed to sync 30 days into past and all into future.

21) At this point, the moment of truth. Hopefully, the sync has completed and your Outlook data is now on your BB device.

22) If it is not, there are a few things to check. First, go to the BB Contacts app, and as before, tap the 3 bars in the lower left corner of BB device window: Now, you should see a new account listing BB Link and your computer name: all your contacts from Outlook on your PC should show up here. If this is missing, this could be a reason your contacts are not syncing, ie the PC and Outlook are not talking to each other. (NOTE: if you select the PIM icon, it should be blank, as the contacts are in the BB Link account, not on your SIM card: this could be a problem sometime later if you actually want your contacts on your SIM card, but let's leave that for another day....)  Next, go to BB Calendar app, and as before, tap the 3 bars in the lower left corner of the BB device window: Now you should see a new account listing BB Link and your computer name: the box next to that calendar should be checked. If you uncheck it, your calendar entries will disappear. Note: your "Home" calendar will not have any entries. This may be a problem for some people, but again, let's figure that out another day.....). If the BB Link calendar account for your PC is not visible, again, the PC and device may not be "talking" to each other.

23) As a final check if there are problems, on the BB device, swipe from the top of the screen down and pick "settings", the "accounts". You should now see an "account" for BB Link associated with your computer name. If this is missing, or if the specific accounts under Contacts or Calendar are missing, this may give some insight into why the sync is not working: BB Link has failed to properly set up an account on the device to serve as a repository for your Outlook data. If this hasn't happened, I'm afraid this is beyond my expertise, but it will be a clue as to the problem.

24) If your sync worked, next time you can try to make a change in Outlook, then do 2 way sync. Again, you must click the tab for your device in the lower left corner of the BB Link software to clue you in as to where the sync process is in its cycle: be forewarned that the messages you see don't always tell you the truth. I've seen messages stating the "Sync is complete" only for this to be followed by more spinning circles, previews being generated, data being transferred, etc. You may by asked to "OK" any data deletions: if that is needed, a popup window will appear listing the items to be deleted and from where. You must OK for calendar sync to complete.

25) If you have gotten this far, you may now want to start adding back in email accounts. If /when you do this, don't add in any contacts/calendar items from your email accounts (Yahoo, Google) etc as these will then show up on your contacts/calendar list and look like duplicates (it is actually easy enough to block them from view, by going to the respective Contacts and Calendar "accounts" listing and deselecting these items to be viewed, or just deleting them. In my opinion, if you want Outlook as your source of "truth" don't even bring them on board from your email account in the first place.

26) Finally, if all is going well, start adding apps back in.

27) I've found that the sync process gets much faster after the initial upload, actually pretty quick. But you must still clickon the device tab to give the OK to any deletions, if you've requested that in the Synchronization setup page.

I hope everyone can get their devices sync'ed to Outlook, because it makes the BB device do what it is supposed to do, without having to deal with cloud based sync (which has its own problems, based on support threads).

This is about the limits of my knowledge on this. I realize it is part rehash of what I've already written, but it is "from scratch" what I needed to do to get my Z10 doing 2way sync: and my Z10 does not even have the 10.1 OS yet.

Hope this answers the few questions people had, and will get a few people who were stuck back on track. Best wishes.

Regular Contributor
My Carrier: Vodafone

QUOTE: 23) As a final check if there are problems, on the BB device, swipe from the top of the screen down and pick "settings", the "accounts". You should now see an "account" for BB Link associated with your computer name.

Anothe very detailed, very helpful post thank you.

My problem appears to be this - I don't have the BBLink 'account' showing. Something to start looking into now...

Trusted Contributor

Brilliant!

MPF - you should set up in business as a professional adviser on sorting out BB Link issues with Outlook. I would have thought your "good friends" at ATT would be delighted to retain you for a handsome fee! If only to get rid of the hundreds/thousands of their customers who cannot make head or tail of BB Link and whom ATT's "customer service people" (voted as the best oxymoron of the month) do not know how to help!

Thank you yet again.
PJCMoray
Trusted Contributor
My Device: playbook 16gb, blackberry z10
My Carrier: at&t

Greatly appreciate the detailed information but this would just be a recipe for me to not only screw up my z10 but also my PC. 

Must wait for 10.1 for me from AT&T and continue with the non-cloud companion link for now as everything for the most part is working now. 

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

Reloading the OS will NOT affect anything with your carrier, nor wil it affect the sim card. In fact, it is beat to leave the sim card inserted when reloading the OS.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Trusted Contributor

Whilst I appreciate the subject is "off script" for this forum, does anyone know of a way of putting in place a default setting on an OS10 device (Z10 or Q10) so that on all e-mails sent from the device there is always a bcc to whoever, for instance my self as the sender.

On the BB Bold9900 and previous devices working on the internet we were able to set the device through the phone network's web-site to set up this default setting.

However, certainly in thé UK, with the OS10 devices there is no longer such a network website to set up phones for e-mail use.

Thanks for any thoughts.

PS I have also noticed, as will the eagle-eyed amongst you (see above), that on the Q10 it often happens that when using a word ending in an "e" the "e" appears with an acute accent. Any thoughts?

PJCMoray
Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

There is no auto BCC option. As for the "e" it could have to do with your language setting.

We do need to keep this on topic. Post another thread and we can have a discussion about those topics. This thread is long enough.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Trusted Contributor

Thanks, apologies and agreed.
PJCMoray
Contributor
My Carrier: Verizon

As before, the 05 June USB sync has been poorlty cobbled together.  Very disappointing.  My calendar on the Z10 turned some events into recurring events--to infinity.

Does anyone know if and when they will allow contact images to transfer?  I simply can't understand why this all has been so difficult for BB to accomplish.