Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Contributor
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: Vodacom

Re: New Blackberry 10 Sync to Outlook

Hi John. Yes, that is a possibility. However, i'm inclined to believe that the contact list is a bit cumbersome - 970 contacts. BB is aware of issues with large lists as stated in their knowledge base on 5th June.

KB34381

....and we live in hope!

Regards

Regular Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: ATT

[ Edited ]

bercawd, sorry you are having this difficulty regarding what accounts are listed. Do you have LinkedIn as an app and do you use this? If not, might not show under accounts. Same for BBM. Also, do you have email accounts that you sync with, such as Yahoo or Google? These might appear under "Settings" "Accounts", would only show up under "Contacts" accounts if there were associated contacts, same for "Calendar" accounts, only if associated calendar. I'm afraid that is the limit of my expertise. I would be perplexed if you had LinkedIn accounts, and these contacts were listed under "Contacts", but LinkedIn was not showing under "Settings""Accounts"  or "Contacts" "Accounts".

pnoelw, sorry you are having trouble as well, but glad companionlink is working for you. I had the opposite experience, in which I could not get companionlink to work by direct USB (rather than via their cloud based system, which although cloud they state is encrypted, so better than Yahoo, Google, etc). I have 2900 contacts (years of use, and no "spring cleaning") so I don't think it is a function of # of contacts, though it probably does not help. When I used companionlink or PC Outlook Sync, I had same issue, with only a portion of accounts showing up. I did note some bizarre things in Oulook that I only detected by looking at all my contacts in a list format (rather than the customary biz card/address card format): I noticed that I had contacts settled into two "no group" even though they were not associated with groups. I manually dragged/dropped until all were in the same "no group" Have no idea if that helped. Can you tell us if you were able to see  "BB Link" appear under "Settings"/"Accounts", "Contacts"/"Accounts" and/or "Calendar"/"Accounts"? By the way, if you do a BB Link sync, and leave the cursor over the device tab in lower left corner of BB Link window during sync, can you see at what point the sync "arrests", or does it just not start at all? If I understand correctly, the contacts sync before the calendar, so it may in fact be something about how clean the contact information is: this is not an excuse, as iPhone has synced fine with same data, but BB Link sync may not be as forgiving, as it may see some records as "corrupt". I have noticed that even after BB Link says sync is "complete" there is stuff going on in background, such that I don't touch device until the device tab is "quiet", no spining wheel, etc. And even then, as others have commented, it takes some time on device for changes to be reflected in the display.

John_Clark: having used many contact managers over past 20+ years, including old Mac products such as Now - Up to Date" to Palm, to Goldmine, to Outlook, I have experienced same problem, in which all it takes is one contact to muck things up. So I literally went through every contact to make sure email addresses were "clean" and listed as email, went through all phone records to ensure that they were "clean", without extensions; make sure that "name" and "listing" were as expected, such as Jane Doe listed as Doe, Jane. These sorts of "dirty" data can muck up sync on some systems (though my iPhone 5 was doing fine with them). One difficulty of sending "logs" to BB, Vodfone or others is that it may contain private PIM data that one doesn't want to share: I did not release logs to BB 10 PC Oulook sync for that reason.

I've also noticed that during the BB Link "sync", one can leave the mouse cursor over the device tab in the lower left BB Link window and as long as the cursor remains over the device tab, the sync messages informing user of sync progress will display without having to click multiple times. This info system is messed up as it states multiple timse that the "sync complete" even when barely started.

Strauchs: I copied/pasted image into Outlook and this image transferred to my Z10. I only did it for one contact. It does not appear on the contact "detail" window, only on the listing of the contacts on the left side of the Z10 screen next to the contact name.

Agree with all "consensus" opinions that our response should range from gratitude to outrage at this point.

Unless all Q10 users are syncing with cloud, I'm surprised there are not more concerns: however, I do believe we saw a spike in complatints with release of Z10, then another surge of complaints after release of Q10. BBRY needs to get this rock solid.

Contributor

MPF94025 wrote:

pnoelw, sorry you are having trouble as well, but glad companionlink is working for you. I had the opposite experience, in which I could not get companionlink to work by direct USB (rather than via their cloud based system, which although cloud they state is encrypted, so better than Yahoo, Google, etc). I have 2900 contacts (years of use, and no "spring cleaning") so I don't think it is a function of # of contacts, though it probably does not help. When I used companionlink or PC Outlook Sync, I had same issue, with only a portion of accounts showing up. I did note some bizarre things in Oulook that I only detected by looking at all my contacts in a list format (rather than the customary biz card/address card format): I noticed that I had contacts settled into two "no group" even though they were not associated with groups. I manually dragged/dropped until all were in the same "no group" Have no idea if that helped. Can you tell us if you were able to see  "BB Link" appear under "Settings"/"Accounts", "Contacts"/"Accounts" and/or "Calendar"/"Accounts"? By the way, if you do a BB Link sync, and leave the cursor over the device tab in lower left corner of BB Link window during sync, can you see at what point the sync "arrests", or does it just not start at all? If I understand correctly, the contacts sync before the calendar, so it may in fact be something about how clean the contact information is: this is not an excuse, as iPhone has synced fine with same data, but BB Link sync may not be as forgiving, as it may see some records as "corrupt". I have noticed that even after BB Link says sync is "complete" there is stuff going on in background, such that I don't touch device until the device tab is "quiet", no spining wheel, etc. And even then, as others have commented, it takes some time on device for changes to be reflected in the display.

thanks for all your time and input. I will definitely not use a cloud sync - only usb. i did watch the progress of BB Link and on its first write (no outlook data on the device) it went through the whole process and then started writing but stopped after a short while, having written about 100 contacts. i tried to determine which contact might have caused it to stop but some A's, some B's etc were written. obviously the order is not strictly alphabetical. every subsequent sync attempt worked through the whole process but stopped immediately it got to writing. doing a calendar only sync worked fine. yes - all "BB Link"s accounts appeared in the correct places in contacts and calendar on the device. you may well be right about a "corrupt" or not acceptable contact causing everything to stall. i'll keep looking to see if there is anything obvious. it would help to know how it determines the order in which to write contacts so that i can determine the last one succesfully written. I am also surprised at the time taken for the device to display changes after writing. RIM are proud of the processor speed, etc. so there must be some awful firmware that's slowing things down. i wonder if there's a whole lot of de-bugging going on in the background and those results are then forwarded to RIM?

Noel.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Noel, I had the same experience early on, with seeming fly through of all contacts, only to have a few A's and B's actually transfer. I'd be lying if I said I had a clue, and have no interest in wasting other's time. I will say that I found a fair number of things in my Outlook file that in retrospect were bizarre, having no idea how they got there. For example, some of the Outlook file entries had dates listed under "anniversary" with the year of 4051 (or something bizarre like that). It became easier to find these inconsistencies when I looked through my list of Outlook contact in list view, then had to teach myself how to add data fields such as "company", "anniversary", etc, so they were all visible in list view.

Some of the errors in my own Outlook database that I found were that the contact entry was listed under "Company" rather than in the "name" field. I also noticed that I had email addresses listed sometimes in other fields, like phone number. As I cleaned up some of these entries, the names started transferring properly. So, then as you can imagine I went a bit "postal" on my Outlook file cleaning up anything and everything that might muck things up. Other examples would be phone numbers in which I had added the extension in the main "phone number" field. (By the way, the anniversary field is found within the Contacts "details" window. So, it was little things like that which just didn't sit right with BB Link/ BB OS 10.

While I"m glad it's syncing, and take a little satisfaction that data is cleaned up, I"m not happy about the time spent. It is possible, for example, that in the transfer process, unless the email address  is actually in the format that the system accepts, it may just kick it back and abort the whole transfer. I suppose I can understand why BB would want this information entered properly (iOS USB sync could care less.....) for who-knows-what reason, maybe because of how integrated communications are, it would be nice to have had some guidance on this.

It also seems pretty uptight about company name, etc.  I can't recall all the things I had to clean up.

In short, I can absolutely attest to the fact that cleaning up some of these spurious entries led to their transfer.

In some instances, for contacts that didn't transfer, all I did was retype the same information, and next sync it appeared.

If you happen to try this and can note what changes you made, please share as I did not write down all that the discrepancies I found/corrected in Outlook.

Thanks

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Classic and Blackberry Q10
My Carrier: Vodafone UK

I don't think that the number of contacts is the problem. I have 1,140 contacts (and growing) and have not had a problem, except the occasional duplicating of contacts. The duplication ceased from the moment that I installed version 10.1.1.1.26 of the BB Link, cleared all of my contacts from my Q10 using the "Settings", "Accounts" and then "Clear Contacts" option. I then re-synched using USB and Outlook and have been two-way synching twice a week at least without a problem.

I would suspect like a previous contributor that one of "pnoelw" 's contacts could be corrupted.
PJCMoray
Contributor

...........the circles i move in, a lot of my contacts might be corrupt  :-)

Contributor

It's exactly the same Outlook files I've been syncing with my previous BB's for the last 5 years with Desktop. go figure!

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, same here, no problem with Desktop Manager in prior versions. Would sync fine with iOS and BB DM.

Once BB Link arrived, iOS kept right on sync'ing, but BB Link became a nightmare.

Only recently sorted out after sifting through all steps listed previously and cleaning up list of contacts in Outlook

Contributor

Settings/accounts/clear contacts doesn't do anything; even after a re-boot the whole list remains intact. the menu item actually says "clear local contacts". Is there an easy way to delete all contacts from the device without doing a factory reset?

Noel.

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Classic and Blackberry Q10
My Carrier: Vodafone UK

You are correct. It says "clear local contacts". Are you saying that using this function has not cleared your contacts from your device?

That would really be bizarre. It has worked twice for me without a problem.
PJCMoray