Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Regular Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Bell Mobility

Re: New Unlocked Z10, No data & APN Greyed out. Calls work & Text. HELP

You guys should really start listening to this feedback. This has nothing to do with the carriers. You guys are restricting a core function of the system that every other device leaves open and available to the user to modify. It is not the carriers that are doing this, it's a problem with the OS. This is already hurting your sales and it will cause more problems if not dealt with promptly. Just push out a simple update to unlock the APN on every device, just like it is on every other competitors device out there.
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Z10
My Carrier: Elisa

Well I think it's the bb10 coding that is wrong. It seems as finland only has one official carrier that sells BlackBerry devices it uses it's apn settings. The problem comes in that the carrier is a virtual carrier using other carriers network. And now blackberry has decided that if you use either ones sim it will always use the other (carrier name is cubic) settings.

And because of that I can't change them, can't use mobile data.
Regular Contributor

Yeah, I actually read a good summary of the issue. Basically it appears that BlackBerry hard-coded the APN values into the phones to correspond to a certain number of official carriers that will carry and sell the BB10 devices. This unfortunately means that you will get completely locked out of setting a correct APN for any carrier that is not on the list. The device appears to detect which career you are using and based on that selects an APN from a predefined list of choices. This is completely messed up.
New Contributor

Yep its total idiocy and I wonder what have they been thinking.

Every other phone out there allows its user to configure its apn settings. Why is it different with blackberry.
New Contributor
My Carrier: Austrian operator

[ Edited ]

i got the same problem...blackberry said i should contact my provider, the provider said it isn't theirs fault....

summarizing: i bought a phone for 600€ and i cannot use the internet, no solution available -> i should have bought an iphone or android deviceSmiley Frustrated

Regular Contributor

Yeah, I can understand your frustration...this really is unacceptable. My advice is let's keep bumping this thread and calling BlackBerry support until they fix this. Passing the blame around is a waste of time. As I said before, there are no excuses for this.
Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

Continuing to bump this thread won't get BlackBerry to "fix" something that they don't think is broken. You need to contact your carrier. If the apn entered is incorrect for that carrier then they can get that escalated to BlackBerry for a fix.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor

John_Clark wrote:
Continuing to bump this thread won't get BlackBerry to "fix" something that they don't think is broken. You need to contact your carrier. If the apn entered is incorrect for that carrier then they can get that escalated to BlackBerry for a fix.

As it would be so easy. There are countries that don't officially sell Blackberry phones, or the seller is a little carrier.

It's stupid that BB OS only has support for the carriers it has "deals" with and no way to other carriers users change their APN settings. It's "bug" in the BB OS 10.

Why even show the APN settings If you can't edit them. As I said earlier my factory unlocked (why even sell these?) Z10 allows me to change the APN settings but when I press save, it goes back and the "factory defaults" (in this case wrong carriers apn settings) come back -> no mobile data.

Is there an email address that I could send a support request.

Regular Contributor

I don't have one but I'm sure we can find something. You can also try tweeting Alec Saunders on Twitter about this, maybe get some attention around it. As for John's comment above, I heard that story before...nothing wrong with my product it's someone else...ya right. in this case it's absolutely the BlackBerry that is at fault. They are the ones that need to enable modification of the APN. They control the OS and it's functionality. Blaming this on the carriers is just an uneducated copout.
Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

There isn't. The only free method to get support is through the carriers. If your carrier doesn't support BB10 you are on your own. You can call 1-800-BLK-BERRY and pay for support, though I don't know what they can do for you. I'm sure they have a reason for locking that down....admittedly, I don't know what that reason would be.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!