Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Regular Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Bell Mobility

Re: New Unlocked Z10, No data & APN Greyed out. Calls work & Text. HELP

John, if you read about this issue on CrackBerry's site, you will see that there are three scenarios at play. Very large majority of the phones have the setting grayed out and can't change it whether the device is unlocked or not. Smaller percentage is not grayed out but any input into the APN fields cannot be saved. Only a very very small percentage can input the APN and actually save it.
Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

I understand completely.

First, don't take everything you read on crackberry as fact.

Second, the ONLY reason apn's are greyed out is because there is a sim inserted and that carrier has a pre-programmed apn (whether the device is unlocked or not.) Even an unlocked device "brands" itself to the sim card that is in it. Only another sim card will unbrand it to another carrier.

A few devices are experiencing this bug where it is editable but won't save. That is likely a bug and I have no idea what the cause is. I obviously didn't write the code for the device. If it were me I'd reload the OS from scratch. I haven't read all the threads on CB about this to see if anyone with this problem has tried that or not.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Regular Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Bell Mobility

Beside the iPhone whose APN can be changed through a software method, give me one example of a modern smartphone that implements a locked APN? I can't think of any...can you? Even my bold 9900 allows me to set the apn to what I want even if the device acquires a default network apn via the sim. The bottom line is this field should not be locked under any circumstance. Not even when the device is locked, and especially not when the device is unlocked. Trying to argue otherwise is just trying to be thick.
Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm just saying that bumping this thread and ranting isn't going to fix it. They have some reason for it....I have no idea what it is. You really do need to contact your carrier and get it escalated that way. They keep track of those incident support calls for stats and that's how things get changed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Z10
My Carrier: Elisa

For me it seems it's a bug of some kind.

So I CAN edit the APN settings, but clicking save doesn't save them. After clicking save and going back to the APN settings, the old settings are back.

I haven't done a battery pull yet. I have tried:

1)save -> shutdown

2) save -> restart

None helps.

Guru II

Try the battery pull. If that doesn't work then you might be able to fix it with a fresh OS reload. That will wipe the device and reinstall the OS so you'll want to make a full backup before doing that.

Here are instructions (takes about an hour):

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB33480

New Contributor

John_Clark wrote:
Try the battery pull. If that doesn't work then you might be able to fix it with a fresh OS reload. That will wipe the device and reinstall the OS so you'll want to make a full backup before doing that.

Here are instructions (takes about an hour):

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB33480

So I edit the APN, and Save and after that immediately pull out the battery and let the device without battery for a while?

Guru II

Nothing that complicated. Just pull the battery and then see if the settings will allow you to save. You might also try booting it up without the sim card in it and then put the sim card back in and boot again. I'm just making suggestions here....no idea whether it will work. It's just what I would try. If none of that worked I'd try reloading the OS. After that I'd give up until the device is supported on that network or until an OS update fixes it (maybe.)

New Contributor

I don't know if I should post this here, but I got my problem fixed.

I tested the leaked new OS update and after the update I can now save my APN settings and my mobile data connection is working as it should.

Guru II

So, either the reload itself fixed it or it was a bug in that version that was fixed in the later version.