Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Pending Z10 purchase
My Carrier: Pending ACS (Alaska Communications)

New company phone ... BB noob ...

To keep this short, my company wants me to carry a cell phone. I do NOT want an iPhone and I currently have an android which I am just not excited about anymore. I have read favorable stuff about BB, particularly the new OS and security, so I am trying to find a way to get a BB for a company phone.

I talked to my director and we are going to look at BB from the security angle as we have longer term plans to expose company resources via moble devices (i.e. I am the lab rat).

My problem is that I am in Alaska and our provider is ACS (Alaska Communications). They don't offer any BB phones at all. I contacted our account rep about either a Z10 or a Z30 and they said it should work, but no guarantees, so I am at the buy a returnable phone phase.

So, my first question is pretty obvious; anyone out there use a BB with ACS (I am in Juneau)?

The Z10 (Verizon 4G) model looked like the best fit given ACS's older infrastructure is CDMA (according to their coverage map), but it doesn't appear that the online store has these for sale. Does anyone have an informed opinion about which model has the best chance to work?

Lastly, if this doesn't work out, I will have to return the phone. If the Z10 (Verizon 4G) model is the best shot, who is the best vendor since BB doesn't retail these online?

I have approval to buy either a Z10 or a Z30, so this is really about getting a phone that will work the first go around.

Any help is appreciated. I will eventually follow up this thread with the results.

Regards,

Stuart

Developer
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Z10 LE, Z30
My Carrier: Orange

Re: New company phone ... BB noob ...

Hi, I can't help you with your location issue but I don't see any reason why a BB phone wouldn't work.

The Z10 is being phased out apparently so I would go for the Z30 or if you can maybe look at the passport.

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. Smiley Happy

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
Forums Veteran I
My Device: Z30, Z10
My Carrier: Vodacom

[ Edited ]
New Contributor

I was looking at the blackberry store (unlocked) phones. I don't see much in the way of options. Here is the summary:

Z10 - http://store.shopblackberry.com/store/bbrryus/en_US/pd/productID.287837000
    Quad band LTE 2, 5, 4, 17 (700/850/1700/1900 MHz)
    Quad band HSPA+ 1, 2, 4, 5/6, (850/1700/1900/2100 MHz) *Note: HSPA+ Band 4 (AWS) is carrier dependent
    Quad band EDGE (850/900/1800/1900 MHz)

Z30    - http://store.shopblackberry.com/store/bbrryus/en_US/pd/productID.298806900
    Quad band LTE 3, 7, 20, 8 (1800/2600/900/800 MHz)
    Quad band HPSA/UMTS 1, 2, 5/6, 8 (800/850/900/1900/2100 MHz)
    Quad band GSM/GPRS/EDGE (850/900/1800/1900 MHz)

I notice the LTE bands differ, but both phones advertize being 4GLTE. Does the difference in LTE bands matter?

Neither is CDMA. Do retailers sell these versions or are they for carriers only?

One of my wrinkles is that I am getting my employer to buy the phone, so I have to deal with an established storefront with return policy/etc. I figure I get one shot and then I get an android ... so trying to chose wisely!

Thanks for everyones assistance so far.

Regards,

Stuart

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Z30, Z10
My Carrier: Vodacom

You will have to find out what frequency ACS uses for 4G LTE, read this in an article "ACS will be using 1720-30/2110-2130mhz for LTE". 

New Contributor

I emailed our account rep with ACS with the question, which is based on their coverage map:

Could you advise or forward to technical staff to get a definitive answer on what the network bands are for 4G LTE and 4G?

I got a response back that said I should order the "STL100-3 Reg AM EN Charcoal Black ... Otherwise, you are looking for LTE, HSPA+, EDGE, GSM 800-1900MHz.".

Regards,

Stuart

New Contributor

I just got this addendum:

He may also find it useful to know that he needs a model that supports GSM 1900 & UMTS/HSPA or LTE 2100.

Regards,

Stuart