Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Rogers

No PIN to PIN Messaging on Z10 - What were you thinking, BlackBerry???

Highlighted
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: No PIN to PIN Messaging on Z10 - What were you thinking, BlackBerry???

Hello,

While "official" answers to such questions are rather rare, my guess has been that, since BBM basically provides the same thing, that they decided to eliminate PIN messaging, considering it to be redundant. Many will of course disagree...but that argument is a bit moot...it's gone, and we can't change that.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Just got my Z10 this week and am downgrading back to the Bold due to the lack of PIN to PIN messaging.  I've also spoken to friends waiting for their Z10 to arrive or holding out for the Q10 and 3/4 have decided to either cancel their Z10s or not bother with upgrades.

I don't get why BB would be this short sighted.

BBM is like MSN or Yahoo Messenger.  It is NOT PIN to PIN.

New Contributor
My Device: BB Tour
My Carrier: Verizon

I totally agree! My friend just got the z10 and now wants to downgrade because of lack of pin. Bad move RIM
Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Telus

Thanks BlackBerry. It took a while but we now have PIN to PIN on the Z10 Now on to fixing Outlook sync and we'll be set. Otherwise, love the phone.

Trusted Contributor
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: vodafone

There is pin to pin on my Q10. But to me is useless. I don't even understand what it is for.
Forums Advisor III
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 + Z30 + Playbook 64
My Carrier: Rogers

eurokuzzik wrote:
There is pin to pin on my Q10. But to me is useless. I don't even understand what it is for.

I have it on my Z10 as well, and I am in the same boat as you

---------------------------------------------
Using the Playbook and the Z10 and the Z30 and loving them

Martin
Trusted Contributor
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: vodafone

I did try it. It sends an anonymous message. Which is cool. But I read that it is unsecured. So what's the point? Can someone enlighten us please?
Trusted Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Z10
My Carrier: Bell Aliant

The new 10.1 software that was released today, now does allow for PIN to PIN messaging.

My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Conecto

Hello,

I’m writing to you to give you feedback regarding the new Blackberry 10 Smartphones and while they are MUCH better than the OS 7 devices in general, there are a few issues with the PIN messaging (peer-to-peer) which seems to be lacking functionality that the OS 7 devices have.

For example, there is no option to attach a contact and to send this via PIN message while this feature is available on the OS 7 devices. I don’t know why this feature was removed, but it’s definitely an important feature which my corporation uses as well as my colleagues around the world using Blackberry. I’m a but disappointed that this feature is no longer available. While I know it works on BBM, not everyone uses BBM and BBM is not for sending the same message to multiple contacts simultaneously which you can do with PIN messaging.

I suggest a software update gets done to make this feature available again as it’s was available on your earlier devices and it would only make sense to me that this also works on the newest devices. I currently have a Z10 and even a Q5 and as far as I was told through customer support, this is not integrated in the Blackberry 10 OS.

Also the BCC function does not work on the PIN messaging, when I send a PIN message to someone and BCC a contact, the recipient sees both the person I’m BCCing and the message to him of course. On my sent PIN messages, it shows that I sent the message to the recipient and the BCC recipient, both appearing on the BCC field. This seems to be an error as I tried with the 2 new Z10 phones and a new Q5 phone I got from my local retailer in Denmark (Conecto) and no matter how I BCC or even CC someone, they always show up in the “to” field in my sent PIN messages.

It would be great if you could do something to resolve these 2 flaws as the PIN messaging service is a very much used and valued service my associates and colleagues use Worldwide, for those who do have Blackberry.

Thanks for your attention.

Sincerely,
Kevin