Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Regular Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800, Z10, PlayBook, PRIV
My Carrier: 3

Number of password attempts

I've noticed that when I enter the wrong password on the first attempt, it's been set to allow you 10 attempts before you get locked out of your phone. I've never gone past 3 attempts on my Torch 9800 and had set it to max 5 attempts. Is there any way to change the number of attempts you can make on the Z10 that I've missed or is it something that Blackberry has to fix?

Forums Advisor I
My Device: Blackberry Z10, Blackberry Playbook 64gb
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Number of password attempts

Looks like the default password attemps on the z10 is 10.. Maybe in future upgrades, allows you to change the number of attemps. 

Highlighted
Forums Advisor III
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700
My Carrier: BELL

[ Edited ]

By default if you enter the password wrong 10X, the data in the phone is toast!  The phone data will get wiped. You will be able to resore the phone from the backup, but this will require the phone's password that was used at the time of the backup.

If you totally forgot the password, then you have a problem. You will need an independent sync source for your data other than the backup, or you will have to enter everything manually. If you have many hundreds of entries to make I wish the person "Good Luck".  This will take a lot of time!

Jerry G.
New Contributor
My Device: blackberry z10

Hi,

have you figured out how to fix it, i am also facing the same issue, my 10 attempts are done to unlock my z10

Forums Advisor III
My Device: Samsung Galaxy S2, Samsung Galaxy S3, Samsung Galaxy Note 4, BlackBerry Torch 9800, BlackBerry Z10, Blackberry Z30, BlackBerry Priv
My Carrier: Fido

rajamansoor wrote:

Hi,

have you figured out how to fix it, i am also facing the same issue, my 10 attempts are done to unlock my z10

What exactly are you trying to do because there is a difference between "Unlock" and "Password" .... 

Unlock its when you unlock from your wireless carrier and then you can use the phone with any carrier.

Password - which is the topic of this post - is used to protect the phone and its content from unauthorized use. The password is set by the device owner.   

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Z10(STL100-1) Z30(STA100-2)
My Carrier: Telkomsel

Rajamansoor was referring to password lock I guess
sent from my IMBA BlackBerry Smartphone
Forums Veteran I
My Device: Z30, Z10
My Carrier: Vodacom

michi30885 wrote:

I've noticed that when I enter the wrong password on the first attempt, it's been set to allow you 10 attempts before you get locked out of your phone. I've never gone past 3 attempts on my Torch 9800 and had set it to max 5 attempts. Is there any way to change the number of attempts you can make on the Z10 that I've missed or is it something that Blackberry has to fix?

Picture password stops after 5 attempts with a warning, you asked to enter "Blackberry" then your numerical password.

New Contributor

What exactly are you trying to do because there is a difference between "Unlock" and "Password" .... 

Unlock its when you unlock from your wireless carrier and then you can use the phone with any carrier.

Password - which is the topic of this post - is used to protect the phone and its content from unauthorized use. The password is set by the device owner. 

----------------------------------------------------

I was trying to unlock the device from existing carrier so i can use it with another carrier.

Forums Advisor III
My Device: Samsung Galaxy S2, Samsung Galaxy S3, Samsung Galaxy Note 4, BlackBerry Torch 9800, BlackBerry Z10, Blackberry Z30, BlackBerry Priv
My Carrier: Fido

rajamansoor wrote:

----------------------------------------------------

I was trying to unlock the device from existing carrier so i can use it with another carrier.

Ok....in that case you have 10 atempts. If you used up ALL 10 attempts, your phone is permanently locked to your carrier. In that case, you must go throught your carrier to unlock the device 
New Contributor

Ok....in that case you have 10 atempts. If you used up ALL 10 attempts, your phone is permanently locked to your carrier. In that case, you must go throught your carrier to unlock the device

------------------------------------

thank for replying me back Leslie, I have bought it from this guy online through kijiji.ca, I have called him so many times and have sent him an email to get more info but he is not replying me back now. He said it is locked to Koodo I tried calling koodo but you can not get to speak to anybody on 800 number for koodo if you are not an existing customer. I took the phone to Koodo shop they said they can not do anything I need to talk to Blackberry.