Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Vivo (Brazil)

Re: Outgoing email did not work, so I returned Z10

Same problem here since last update 2 weeks ago! It is impossible to sent e-mails in POP3 accounts!

I hope RIM update a fix soon...

Highlighted
Contributor
My Carrier: Vodacom, SA

Hi Hucky

Can you pl guide me on the K9, where is it? how to install and can i access rediffmail?

Thanks for your help in advance...

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Z-10
My Carrier: T-Mobile

K9mail is on BlackBerryWorld and is free.

This problem is also fixed in the 10.1 OS.

Market Information? Come read The Market Ticker!
New Contributor

I would appreciate if you could let me know which version of the OS you mean. I have 10.0.10.90 and the provider is T-Mobile Germany. This is the latest version I can get. Have you solved the problem with 10.1 and how to get it if it is not officially released yet?

Trusted Contributor

This forum does not permit openly discussing how to run unofficial firmware loads.  Look on Crackberry instead.

I never had this specific problem as an operational issue but I did run it down after reports surfaced as I'm a software developer and network engineer.  My email service is run from my own infrastructure and my server was capable of handling what the Z-10 was emitting without throwing up, although it was factually deficient against the RFC standards in two areas as has been discussed here.  I have confirmed both the scope of the problem as reported here and elsewhere along with the fact that it is fixed in the 10.1 release.

Frankly, while the blame for this is BlackBerry's it should not have blown up any competent email transport.  The Z-10 is not the only device out there that misbehaves in this fashion, in fact it is a relatively common screw-up that is a consequence of the differences between line terminators in various operating systems.  Unix-like OSs have traditionally considered a line-feed to be the terminator, while many mainframe systems along with MSDOS and its derivatives want CR-LF.  The SMTP protocol used to move mail around defines the latter as the required terminator yet the internal representation of a "line" in POSIX-compliant operating systems ends lines with a line-feed alone.

What is happening to cause trashed messages or failed transmissions is bad coding practices on the email gateway side.  Trashed messages come about because buffers get overrun due to a foolish (and dangerously-so) coding practice that continues looking down a buffer until it sees a CRLF irrespective of the length of the data that was received from the other end.  The problem with this is that if a CRLF never comes you can run right off the end of that buffer, resulting in a failed connection or worse, data corruption.  This is a severe security risk if the mail server runs with privileges, and most do, as exactly that sort of exploit is how hackers gain access to systems these days -- they intentionally force buffer overruns and if those storage areas are on the stack they can cause malicious code to be executed.  BlackBerry can do nothing about this risk as it's not on their phones, it's on the server -- if you are using a mail system that has this risk and is trashing emails with the Z-10's 10.0.x release you need to seriously consider whether you want to continue to using that email service as it must be presumed any time you can force a buffer overrun that the server's software in question is insecure.

10.1 will be released at some point in the fairly near future for the Z-10; it is the "base" load for the Q-10 and my understanding is that the carriers either have or will shortly have that firmware for distribution to Z-10 owners.  The control over the release process is theirs, however, so you need to talk to your carrier about an "official" release date or you need to load an "unofficial" copy of the OS.  The latter does come with some risk in that it is unsupported and thus if "bad things" happen you're on your own. 

Contributor

Same Problem here - 6 Weeks and no updates, no solution - nothing !!! Last OS 10.0.10.90

I love my Z10, but this is issue is a major part of communication -  unacceptable !!!

New Contributor

Thanks a lot and I have to admit that I only understand a part of the tech issues, but the general statement is clear to me. I just understand today, that the rol out of 10.1 has started and so it should only be a nuber of days or weeks until it will also arrive to Germany. I will wait and handle it through K9.

However, thinking how easy and efficient the 7.1 OS was for email in combination with the BIS one has still to wonder why BB has gone a step back. As a business tool a BB was hard to beat. Understanding all your comments, but I thin only the better is the enemy of the good. I own a Z10 and have to say, that the use is far less productive than the Bold 9900. There are now many deviations in functions which had been direct in OS 7.x

I hope for the Q10 to see if in combination with the keyboard we get back to the same performance we had before - of course used for buisness and not for fun.

Thanks for the help anyway. Great work.

Trusted Contributor

I disagree entirely.

I had played with older BB models but never bought one as there were too many things I could simply not get around in terms of limitations.

The Z-10 is arguably the best smartphone I've ever owned.  It is not perfect, but it by far is the easiest to use, most-productive and most-capable of any I've used up until now.

New Contributor

Well, the good thing is, that there are still different opinions in this world. How boring it would be instead. Using BBs for many, many years I have the direct comparions and can just speak for myself for the daily routine of calls, text, emails etc.

Enjoy your Z10, anyway and I'll try and check the Q10 in the meantime.

Regular Contributor
My Device: Z10, 9900, 9000 and PB
My Carrier: T-mobile

>>> Well, the good thing is, that there are still different opinions in this world. How boring it would be instead

IMO BB really made a mess on E-mail

I spent in excess of ten hours on Z10 matters with TMobile and BB technical support

1) BB techs did not even have a work around on the outgoing mail problems until I gave them a clue to use the gmail outgoing defaults on my working gmail account applied to the nonworking POP accts.

2) there is no way to select to delete mail from the server or delete mail from the device

HAY. The old OS5,6, 7 email worked but the BB programers broke it on the OS10