Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Etisalat UAE

Re: Personal exerience with the new Z10 - not good

Paul - I agree that I don't like the Gmail sync solution for CompanionLink, but it is supposed to be only temporary while Blackberry World approves the app for the Z10 - then we can link using USB directly.  The Gmail link also does not sync Notes from outlook.  The USB link is supposed to do so however.  We will have to see.

My main problem now is that I cannot bcc myself automatically from the Z10 so I can have a copy on outlook.  If I use IMAP, it leaves a copy of the sent message on the mail server, but still cannot download it to Outlook.  I hope Blackberry comes up with an update to the software so that there is an auto bcc option.

New Contributor
My Carrier: O2 UK

Again, thanks guys... I really do understand that "change" takes time to get used to but ripping out functionality that has benefit is a negative step... I sell software and I know our users hate it when we take stuff away that they like... our whole goal in software development is to keep the good bits and add more - not take stuff away... 

New Contributor
My Carrier: Three UK (3)

Hello

This weekend, I went and picked up a Z10.

Why? Because for some reason I have managed to live without a device that understands email, large quantities of it and doesn't make it one hell of a misery. Since I last used my BB, I've stopped using mobile e-mail. Android is hopeless, no matter what app I use, iPhone was miserable (and I hate them for a million other reasons but still tried it since my main requirement is e-mail), and so on... and basically I miss my Nokia Communicator.

After getting a friendly sales dude in a shop who instead of selling me whatever he made commission on based on some nonsense list of features, let me actually setup my e-mail on a few handsets temporarily, the Z10 was the clear winner. By miles.  My first account was a POP3, with over 3000 messages waiting for me - Z10 straight in, loaded in no time. Every other device couldn't handle that much, or has really lame low limits on the amount of e-mail (either in number or days) it can (will) go back.

I'm not too bothered if nothing else works on the BB but...

(a) Please bring back automated BCC - for people using POP3 it's a good option and very useful. I used it all the time on my Blackberry 9300, and I used it on every other device. Like someone else in this thread, having sent items BCC'd makes sense for some of us and in my case I have a clever set of rules to detect those BCC's from my BB to know they're actually sent and file them appropriately.

(b) Something I don't quite understand with anyone is the adversion to being a good PIM. On the lock screen, I can have a calendar entry on my Z10. That's really annoying. For some reason everyone (the same is true on other devices, such as Windows Phone 7 and 8, even though Windows Mobile 6.5 had the "PIM" type functionality sorted), everyone thinks you only one the very next appointment. Hey some of us have a lot on, and rely on our devices, so more please - let me have the next few - configurable for how many preferably, not just one. And while you're at it, I don't care if at 11am the next appointment isn't until tomorrow, still show the next few, irrespective of how long in the future they aere.

(c) Let me choose the polling interval on POP3 to be as often as I want - there's no good reason to limit it to these pre-set things like again every mobile phone vendor now thinks we want. Why can't I just choose 3 minutes if I want, or every 78 minutes, why these annoying pre-sets on everything of 1, 10, 15 or whatever each device picks, and no option to say "or my own choice thanks... x minutes" - it's my battery, I'll decide. It's my data plan, I'll decide etc.

(d) Please stop deciding that some features just can't work when you're roaming - I have no issue with off by default, but some of us roam regularly and/or are quite happy paying hundreds if that's what it costs for a month roaming, so why can't I choose to allow roaming - older phones again let me do this. I want to choose any, or every app. Either let EVERY app have a "allow when roaming" or a global, but not a decision that some features just can't (making them entirely useless when I am abroad).

I have many other simple enough requests - the main beef is that the world has become obsessed with apps and pointless gimmicks. For some of us a phone is a modern day PIM - personal information manager. For me that means it has to have absolutely stonkingly good e-mail, which always works, which can handle thousands of messages, doesn't have to be activesync (I have some of those too), but is as happy with POP3 or IMAP as it is activesync or BES controlled mail etc. A robust calendar, that sync's, that can use all my accounts, that has reminders on the home/lock screen, for the next 'x' appointments, not just one, and does this across all my calendars (eg the next 5 irrespective of which calendar). Contacts should just work, and to-do lists should be possible.

Everything else to me (and I suspect many others) just comes secondary - Blackberry is known for messaging, so make it good at messaging. I know that BB need to fight to be relevant in a world obsessed with touch and apps and gimmicks - it can add them too, but get the fundamentals right, you've had long enough to get BB 10 done folks to have the basics (like auto BCC!) nailed.

Trusted Contributor
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: vodafone

I agree
Forums Advisor III
My Carrier: Rogers

"My main problem now is that I cannot bcc myself automatically from the Z10 so I can have a copy on outlook.  If I use IMAP, it leaves a copy of the sent message on the mail server, but still cannot download it to Outlook.  I hope Blackberry comes up with an update to the software so that there is an auto bcc option."

Are you using IMAP in outlook as well, and have the sent items folder set to sync in outlook?

I'm 99% sure all my sent items synchronise up in outlook using IMAP. I'll check when I get home tomorrow.
-: DrewRead :-
Can't find an app on Blackberry World yet? Tweet the developer and ask when they will #GetWithBB10 !!
"Like it" if you like it. Smiley Happy
Contributor

IMAP is not an option unless you are using Google or Hotmail or have unlimited third party server space for your email domain, once the message is deleted from the server, it will delete it from outlook as well.

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Z1o

I talked to Tech support today Regarding Outlook sync... there is a work around... defining a hotmail account (with hotmail conenctor)  in outlook , making it the contact database.... it will sync to the online hotmail account . when you then create it on your Z10 .. it does have sync options for your contacts, and calendar.. not a big deal for me because I already had a htomail account in Outlook (as well as 3 other business accounts...

ALSO:

the tech guy says by end of month ( I suspect before US release):

Blackberry will have:

* IMPROVED MIGRATION FROM OLD BLACKBERRYs

* "OPPOURTUNITIES to IMPORT CALENDAR, etc. (whatever that means)

* TWO WAY SYNC to OUTLOOK

I am still deciding whether to keep the **bleep** phone... I like it in many ways ... I just don't know if I can live with the issues.... while it matures... QNX is a great company and I have a lot of faith in their abilities. I used their PC operating system in the 80s ... way ahead of Microsoft... rock solid and made to be networked.... it shoudl ahve been the "Windows" of the the world

Forums Advisor III

"IMAP is not an option unless you are using Google or Hotmail or have unlimited third party server space for your email domain, once the message is deleted from the server, it will delete it from outlook as well."

Anything older than 30 days isn't available on your BlackBerry anyway, simply archive them to a local pst file after 30 days and they are off the server.

Problem solved.. Smiley Wink
Can't find an app on Blackberry World yet? Tweet the developer and ask when they will #GetWithBB10 !!
Contributor

@DrewRead:  Smiley Happy The whole point is to automate the process - that is why we are complaining that there is no Auto BCC.  The task as you propose is that on daily basis, I am supposed to move mail to another Sent Mail box in my outlook or create archive files.  That defeats the purpose, no?  I can also manually BCC myself (though a bit cumbersome to pull the keyboard down and hit the menu button) - but I most of the time forget until I have already sent the message.

I am not a programer but all of this is just because Blackberry decided to remove the AutoBCC tick box?Smiley Tongue

drewread wrote:
"IMAP is not an option unless you are using Google or Hotmail or have unlimited third party server space for your email domain, once the message is deleted from the server, it will delete it from outlook as well."

Anything older than 30 days isn't available on your BlackBerry anyway, simply archive them to a local pst file after 30 days and they are off the server.

Problem solved.. Smiley Wink

Forums Advisor III

[ Edited ]

mshanshal wrote:

@DrewRead:  Smiley Happy The whole point is to automate the process - that is why we are complaining that there is no Auto BCC.  The task as you propose is that on daily basis, I am supposed to move mail to another Sent Mail box in my outlook or create archive files.  That defeats the purpose, no?  I can also manually BCC myself (though a bit cumbersome to pull the keyboard down and hit the menu button) - but I most of the time forget until I have already sent the message.

I am not a programer but all of this is just because Blackberry decided to remove the AutoBCC tick box?Smiley Tongue

It is automated. Smiley Happy

Using IMAP on all of your email clients (Z10, Outlook, etc.) automates total reconciliation between the devices. Sent items are put on the server (no need to 'auto BCC'), read items are marked read on the server, flagged items are flagged on the server, delteted items are deleted from the server (would be nice if they went to a 'trash' folder or another folder of your choice, but they don't... yet.) and filed items are filed on the server. All of these interactions enact immediately on the server as by using IMAP that is where the changes occur. This ensures reconciliation between all clients.

Your concern is that your IMAP server is going to become overloaded with all of the emails that are being kept on it. My offered solution is to turn on Auto-archiving (again - automated) in Outlook and archive emails older than 30 days to a local PST folder. This will remove them from your server, thus freeing up the space, and put them on your local machine only. They won't currently show up on the device anyway as they are older than 30 days (again... this is another issue) so no big deal there (except for the fact that many want more than 30 days worth of email available... <wink> ) Set it to Auto-archive at your perferred duration, I suggest every 60 days, but if your server needs to be cleaned sooner set it to a value that works, every day if you want it to. It is automated so you shouldn't have to interact with it at all.

BTW - Blackberry hasn't "removed" anything from this OS, the OS is brand new.. it simply hasn't been implement yet, or they felt that there was another / better way to do it. Smiley Happy