Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry-A150 - Blackberry Z10
My Carrier: Bell
Accepted Solution

Phone Contacts vs Contact Contacts

My new Z10 has all of my work Contacts from Outlook loaded - the contacts contain email and telephone info. But when I use the Z10 as a phone there are no contacts listed I press the phone contact button. Does the Z10 not automatically link contacts in the "Contacts" app to the contact list in the Phone app? If not, how can they be imported to the phone contact list? I have copied my contacts to the SIM card, but still nothing appears in the phone contact list. I read the "reset the phone by diagonal swiping" suggestion in anorther thread but diagonal swiping has no effect on my phone.

Anyone seeing this problem? Any solutions?

Retired
My Device: Q10/Q5/Z10/9930/9860/9310

Re: Phone Contacts vs Contact Contacts

Hey Sodecm,

Welcome to the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

Thanks for the question.

Phone contacts show appear the same as your regular contacts.  Have you tried restarting the BlackBerry Z10?  Also what version of BlackBerry 10 software are you running?  This can be found by going to Settings>About.

I look forward to your reply.

Cheers.

-ViciousFerret

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Click  Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry-A150 - Blackberry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

In the past few hours I discovered the answer to my own question. My Blackberry is provided through my hospital and their IT department has activated a policy built into the Blackberry design that treats the phone app as a private app and blocks it from sharing the contact information in the contact app (which is linked to the corporate Outlook Server). While this is annoying ( a phone with no contacts ), the workaround is to make phone calls by opening the Contacts app first and initiating the phone call from there.) Seems silly, and I have drawn it to ITs attention here, but there is probably a good security explanation.

Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Verizon

[ Edited ]

Delete me please.

Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Verizon

Well I thought I had a similar problem, then felt stupid because I figured out that I had misunderstood an intended feature, then figured out that I was stupid thinking that I was wrong because I was acutally right.  I should have known better!

Problem:  Not all contacts appear in the phone app.  My initial trapped bug ended up just not having a phone number so it seemed reasonable that the phone app would not show that contact as an option.  I added a phone number and the missing "Penny" showed right up.  Problem solved, right?  Today I found out differently.  <sad face>

When I search for "Lutz" in the Phone app, I get only one entry.  When I search for the same name in my Contacts app, I get three--the same one in the Phone app, and 2 more.  When I search for the same name on my Excahange server (via the Outlook Web Access), I get the 3 from the Contacts app plus 4 more.  The last anomaly is explained by the search looking into the notes (something I think the Contact app should do by default IMHO).  But my main concern is seemngly constantly trying to call someone and not finding their number in the Phone app and having to go to the Contact app to call.

Unlike my other suspected trapped "bug," all the Lutz contacts have phone numbers and all 3 should appear when I search the Phone app.

In case you are wondering, the "missing" Lutz's are not in the list of contacts on the Phone app even when I just scroll down through most of my 3,000 contacts to look for them manually.  Also, I'm using ActiveSync with the Exchange server.  And there are no admin rules to keep my contacts from working properly.

Boy, what we have here is a failure to communicate.  I know I'm throwing stones at the stars by posting on here about a problem, but it is theraputic.

Device:  Z10 (STL100-4)

New Contributor
My Device: z10
My Carrier: att

I have the same issue in HUB.  I misspelled Bryan as Brian and also his email address in CONTACTS App.  When an email was returned as non existant, I used a good email from Bryan to create a new contact in CONTACTS App with the correct spelling and email address.  Couldn't find Brian in CONTACTS App to delete.  But when I try to compose an email or try to forward an email in HUB App and again mispell as Brian I get the wrong one.  Again I can't find Brian in the CONTACTS App to delete.