Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: LU Tango
Accepted Solution

Problem creating Exchange ActiveSync account on Z10

Hello all,

I'm trying to set up my e-mail account on a Z10, using Exchange ActiveSync. Setting up the same account on a Samsung Galaxy S3 works perfectly fine.

When I use the normal setup procedure, I enter my e-mail address and password, and get back this:

Expected , delimiter: line 1 column 122 (char 122)

If I go through "Advanced", the error message is the same, except for the number 194 instead of 122.

The account in question is an Office 365 E3, and I would like to avoid using BBCS (if that even works with OS 10 devices; there are contradictory reports on the net).

I have asked the carrier I got the phone from, and they told me they could not help because it was not their e-mail account. I have asked Microsoft, and they told me they could not help because it was a BlackBerry problem. I have asked BlackBerry, and they have not answered yet.

Can anyone help?

(By the way, why would there be an error message from a JSON reader in the Python standard library involved in setting up an Exchange account? Because that is where the message is coming from. Microsoft is not known for their enthusiastic embrace of JSON, they are in love with XML.)

-- 

Christian

New Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: LU Tango

Re: Problem creating Exchange ActiveSync account on Z10

Problem solved. I would consider the problem security-related and restrict myself to vague suggestions, but since that alone would be enough to guess the problem, why bother?

The error happened because my password contained a double-quote character. Somewhere in the Z10's account setup procedure, something assembles a JSON structure from, among other things, the password entered by the user. This password is placed into a quoted string, but quote characters inside it are not escaped. When the structure is passed on to the next step, it does not parse, and the error happens.

I wonder why I seem to be the first user ever to have that problem.

tl;dr: Do not have double-quote characters in your password.

New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 STL100-1
My Carrier: N/A

Re: Problem creating Exchange ActiveSync account on Z10

Thank you very much, I had the same exact problem, and I spent weeks trying to get an answer!