Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Proximity detector not being used by phone

When I make a phone call, the proximity detector is not being used. I have verified the hardware is running since the infrared light it emits can be seen using the camera on another phone to detect the infrared light. I have also verifed the proximity detector works by sideloading an Android sensor test app.

To summarize the problem, the phone is running the proximity detector code when I make a phone call, but it doesn't use the results of the sensor. That is, it does not deactive the screen when my face or any object is close to the sensor.

Z10

STL100-3

Software release 10.1.0.2006

OS version 10.1.0.2025

T-mobile

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Re: Proximity detector not being used by phone

Hi gariac,

Did the proximity sensor work before updating your BlackBerry Z10 with the latest software version?

Thanks.

-CptS

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

I can't say for sure if the rev to 10.1.0. 2006 made the proximity detect not be used by the dialing routine. My previous phone was a BB Bold, so I wasn't accustomed to having a proximity detector. As you know, you can most likely still use the phone without the proximity detector because most of the time you are hitting the screen with a relatively flat surface (cheek) rather than a finger, so the touch screen won't react. So maybe i never noticed a problem in the old rev, or the problem wasn't present. I just can't say for sure.

At this point I know the hardware is fine. It is a bug in the firmware. But perhaps my phone didn't get updated properly since not everyone has this problem.

Let's just say I've been using the speaker phone when I can. ;-)

If there is a place to get the 10.1.0.2006 firmware, I suppose I can try to reload it. But we haven't ruled out some Android app being the problem.

Contributor
My Device: Priv
My Carrier: Bell

I have this same issue. BBVE Test passes but the phone app doesn't turn the screen off during a call. You can see the light blinking but it doesn't react. I'm now using the latest OS, Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925 . It's been doing this for a few versions now.

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Z30, Z10
My Carrier: Vodacom

nickdollimount wrote:

I have this same issue. BBVE Test passes but the phone app doesn't turn the screen off during a call. You can see the light blinking but it doesn't react. I'm now using the latest OS, Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925 . It's been doing this for a few versions now.

I have no problem with my Z10 STL100-2, OS 10.2.1.1925.