Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Highlighted
Visitor
My Device: Non-Blackberry User
My Carrier: IT Support Professional

Question about swapping SIM cards on a Z10

Hi, everyone, I am a non-Blackberry user who works in IT support.  One of my clients uses a Blackberry and has often asked me very complicated questions about how to do various unusual things with his device.  At the present time, he is considering switching to a Z10, which would be set up using ActiveSync.  He wants to know if he could swap the SIM card without having to go through the setup process again.   My client travels a lot, and wants to use a local SIM card on an upcoming trip to a very remote area.  

I've not been able to find an answer to this anywhere. 

This is his exact question: "I just got it from a friend (ATT version) and I am trying to see if I like it enough to switch to it as my primary phone.  Blackberry z10 asks you to sign in with your blackberry world ID when you first set up the phone.  Question: Would you have to do it again if you put a different simm into it?  With iPhone, it makes no difference so long as the device is unlocked—you can then exchange simm cards as often as you want.  Would it be the same with an unlocked blackberry z10 (I know it's not possible with the bold 9900 as System 7 ties your ID to the simm card).  In short, in blackberry z10, could you exchange the US simm for another country's simm without having to wipe the phone,  etc.  "

If anyone can shed some light on this for me, I'd be very grateful.,  Thanks!

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Question about swapping SIM cards on a Z10

[ Edited ]

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

The key issues are thus:

1. Ensuring that the device is truly carrier unlocked
  2. Ensuring that the specific device model is compatible with the radio frequencies/technologies that the desired carrier uses. There are 4 different Z10 models:

If both of those are OK (separate research of the desired carriers would of course be necessary), then it is indeed a simple matter to change carriers. For example, I changed from ATT to TMO by simply changing the SIM...no need to WIPE or anything, and my same BBID came along just fine. You should, however, always obtain a properly-sized SIM card from the carrier -- there are plenty of reports of folks trying to use "cut" SIM cards and experiencing errors.

With BB10, it's actually simpler than with legacy BBs. Legacy BBs used the BIS service, which required receipt onto the device (from the carrier data network) of Service Books so as to activate the various services that the user subscribed to. When changing carriers, it often could be that a latent Service Book from the prior carrier causes issues when shifting to a different carrier...and that's where WIPING and such came into play, so as to cleanse the device so that the new carrier could deliver all of the proper Service Books to the device. With BB10, there is no BIS, and there are no Service Books...so all of that complication is eliminated.

But, as always, YMMV.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................