Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Playbook 16GB, 32GB, 64GB, Z10
My Carrier: Wind Mobile

Re-target Blackberry Protect as a locator for seniors and children

I have tried Blackberry Protect on the Z10. It works very well in locating the Z10. 

Z10 (BB10 OS) does not require a BIS plan, any wireless Internet connection or WiFi Internet connection will do.

The application I am thinking of is only needed once in a blue moon or very infrequent - to locate a senior or a child who carries a Z10 phone that is set up with the Blackberry Protect.

My questions are:

1) Is this a push application? Meaning there will be no data consumption from polling. Data only consumed when there is a request to track or locate. This is needed to figure out what minimum data plan is required for such an aplication.

2) Will Blackberry Protect work without a data connection? Meaning can it just use the voice channel to do the locating? This would even be greater! Save the data plan.

Perhaps this would be a great feature to have if not already there - sending location via text message to the Blackberry Protect website that converts the coordinates into a map location for display!!!

Thanks.