Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Returned my Z10

I'm posting this for Blackberry's benefit.  I returned my Z10 today.  It is a wonderful phone and I didn't want to give it up. However, I am a business owner and rely on my phone as a key tool for managing my work, schedule, and clients.  I discovered several issues that prevented me from using the Z10.

First, whenever I connected the phone to my computer it would crash (ie. BSOD) the computer and force a reboot.  I subsequently found via Google that there are issues connecting the Z10 BB to a Windows 8 pro computer via USB. OK, so I would connect via WiFi.

I then found that I cannot sync my Outlook contacts and calendar with the BB.  I'm sorry, but these are essential business tools.  It is unforgivable that BB cannot sync with Office.  OK, I can purchase CompanionLink with DejaOffice.  These will let me sync but not so I can use voice dial while I'm driving (essential in Ontario).

Then, last night when I woke the phone to play with it, there was a prompt asking me for a password.  I had deliberately avoided turning on security so I was surprised at the prompt. What triggered the password prompt I had no idea. Since I had never activated password protection I had no idea what password was required but I couldn't access the phone without the password.  I tried every possible password combo I could think might be used without success.  After 10 unsuccessful attempts, it wiped my phone.

This morning, neededing a working phone with my contacts and calendar, I returned the Z10 to Rogers and re-activated my iPhone. 

As I said above, I regret having to return the phone.  It was fast, smooth, had an excellent screen and took great photo's and video. It just doesn't work well with Win8 or at all with MS Office. If I it wasn't essential for my business I wouldn't have returned it. Please fix these fundamental problems so I can buy another.  Until then, I'll be watching....

Regular Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Z10

Re: Returned my Z10

One of the reason I am still carrying two phones (Z10 and an iPhone) around ... shouldn't have to, but I have no other choice given the poor reliability this past month ... but I do see signs of improvements finally.

Did you do the most recent OS update?

Developer
My Device: Limited Edition Z10, Playbook 16GB/32GB, Dev Alpha A/B/C
My Carrier: Mobile Vikings

Indeed, I would do the same if I had an iPhone, they aren't reliable at all :-D

I also carry around two phones sometimes, but that is just because I like to switch between them. As I am a big fan of BB and Android (other phone: HTC One X), both have their ups and downs.

@lwerring I cannot really help you, and it is regrettable you think that way, or that you had those problems. But if you want, you can submit those problems as bugs on the BlackBerry Bug Tracker. That way, you can best let BlackBerry know about these problems. Because this is mainly a user-to-user forum (although there are some BB employees on this forum), most people on it will not really be able to help you with it.

The BlackBerry bug tracker: https://www.blackberry.com/jira/

A like is always appreciated,
but a nomination for BB Elite even more :-)
You can also contact me on Twitter: @ndsmyter
New Contributor

Yes, I updated. Everything was the latest including Blackberry Link. Hmmm.. That reminds me... I should uninstall Link and the BB Device Manager.
New Contributor

Thanks. I will post on bug tracker.
New Contributor
My Device: BBZ10
My Carrier: AT&T

I bought mine yesterday and returned it today.  I actually liked the phone, but I couldn't sync it correctly with my exchange.. Emails finally came thru yesterday afternoon, but the contact wouldn't come.. Only a few hundred of them came and i left it over night and nothing.  The tasks and notes wouldn't sync.  I tried it again to resync and same thing.  I returned it and went back to my bold.  I think I'm done with blackberry,..  Probably cancel my account later this week and go to iPhone.  I already have an iphone, but have been using my bold for all my scheduling, emails, tasks but I think I've gotten used to my iPhone and will probably switch.  There's something going on with Blackberry 10 and exchange and I don't have the time nor the patience to make this work.  It was annoying to start that AT&T wouldn't allow enterprise users to pre-order then finally getting one having this issue took me over the edge.  

Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Koodo Mobile

The latest version of BB LInk does actually sync with Outlook, but it's a 1-way sync for now. The password it was asking for was probably the account password for your exchange server (EAS), which it should not ask for after the initial setup. BB link however, does have serious issues with PC's. Mine will no longer work trying to backup the device - it crashes all the time no matter what and I need to drill down and look at uninstalling other programs, until I get it to work. Uninstalling and reinstalling BB Link doesn't resolve my issue.
New Contributor

Nope. If it had been my non-existent EAS password it was asking for, it would not have wiped the device after 10 unsuccessful attempts.  Only the Z10 Security settings for the core Z10 account would have done that.  I have no exchange account.  I was connected to my mail account va IMAP.

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: AT&T

The windows 8 things is superbly annoying. I hope that is fixed sooner than later. It took me a while to realize it was the BB causing my machine to BSOD, not a pleasant experience.