Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Z10
My Carrier: AT&T

S/MIME Capabilities in Blackberry Z10 - Blackberry Enterprise Server

Hello,

I haven't received any answers regarding my questions so I decided to repost it. Could someone from Blackberry explain why RIM chose to change a client-based solution like S/MIME and use as a server-based feature under Blackberry Enterprise Server? 

Answers like "because we have been doing it all the time" is not what I am looking for and it should not be an answer from a security-conscious company like RIM.

Thank you,

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH995), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: S/MIME Capabilities in Blackberry Z10 - Blackberry Enterprise Server

Hello,

Given the wording of your question and thereby just to set your expectation...please review this information (which is at the top of every page on this site):

BSCF User Comm.JPG

So, while you may get lucky with a response from a BlackBerry representative (from time to time, they do drop by), you should not be expecting a formal nor authoritative response via this site (the Ts and Cs also confirm that, even when a BB person does respond, it is not to be taken as BlackBerry authoritative).

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Z10
My Carrier: AT&T

I asked them the questions multiple times and they have been avoiding to answer it. The only time i got an answer was  like this "if you are concerned about security, get BES." And when I asked why they chose this way to implement, their answer was "because it is teh way we have been doing it."

So I am trying again to see if they will answer the question in a dedicated post.

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH995), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

OK...searching, I do see Vicious Ferret's reply to you (VF is an actual BB person):

As you continue to pursue, just do please understand that, especially in this forum, you are unlikely to get anything more than that...especially to your "why?" question. The answer, quite naturally, involves, trade secrets, proprietary information, and/or access to internal information...all of which are prohibited from being posted on this site (per the Ts and Cs).

In all honesty, I believe that, with VF's reply from up there, that's all you are going to get here on this site, especially in the public zone. You might try a PM instead, and see if you can get more...but I doubt you will. What you are asking for is quite outside the scope, purpose, and Ts&Cs of this site.

In a nutshell, this site is, on a user-to-user basis, all about "what is" and "how to" concerning "what is"...it is not for "what should be", "why is it", "when will it be", or other such discussions (except for speculation about those things...that's OK...but nothing authoritative).

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................