Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: AT&T
Accepted Solution

Screen stays black out of holster

I haven't changed any settings (on purpose) or updated OS in the last few weeks. Sometime last week, my Z10 stopped responding to the magnet. It won't wake up when I remove if from the holster, and it doesn't sleep when I put it in. I have just the regular microfiber sleeve with the magnet. I have had it for over 18 months since I got my Z10. It has always worked fine - normally when I pull it out of the holster, it is awake and ready to go. Now, it's still dark when I pull it out and won't wake up, and when I slide it in, I can still see it's on.  It's impacting the battery life I am used to.

I can't seem to find a setting for this or anything. Anybody have any ideas?

Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Screen stays black out of holster

There's no setting in BB10 to control this action.

If you're using the same holster you've been using and you haven't changed any settings (because there are none to change), reset your phone to see if that helps. Press and hold your power button for about 15 seconds until you see BlackBerry on your screen. Don't release the button until you see that, ignoring anything you see before that.

Try that and post back with your results.  Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

After you reboot, you can try a strong magnet over the device and see if you can sleep and wake it manually. The goal is to determine if it's the device or the sleeve.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Forums Veteran I
My Device: Z30, Z10
My Carrier: Vodacom

In phone app, drag down - settings - holster - set to answer and end calls, then check if it works when you remove and replace the phone in the holster.

If not, check with another magnet towards the left side of the phone, also check with a piece of metal if the magnet is still in the correct position in the holster.

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Z10

Thanks, all.  I figured it out.  (By the way, I had already tried a reboot, reset, battery pull and holster - answer settings.)  It is not the phone, and was the sleeve.  I'll post what I fixed here, in case someone else searches. I found several other posts around the internet with people asking the same question, and no one had solved it, so this may be useful to somebody.

There are two magnets in the microfiber sleeve, one on each side of the metal Blackberry logo insert. They are about the size of a penny, except thinner.  One of them had slid all the way down to the bottom of the sleeve, out of position, and the other was also slightly out of place.  I was able to work them with my finger nails up and back into their round recesses.  Tada, works fine now.

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Yup. I had a feeling it was the sleeve and not the device.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!