Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Contributor
My Device: Z 10
My Carrier: telus

Should the permissions in apps concern me?

Can anyone explain the inherent risk in granting an app such as a game permission to access device data, pin etc.  Are these developers using our information or are such things required to properly execute the app?  If there is the risk is the anitvirus app I saw a legitimate tool in combating risks?  thanks

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Curve 9310
My Carrier: Sprint

Re: Should the permissions in apps concern me?

I don't allow apps to access my bbm, location or info. the apps seem to work anyways, if I have problems with the apps I delete them.

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

I think blackberry apps are safe , and you shouldn't be worried.

even Android apps they don't let malware work on your Z10

I also read that Enterprise users with "Blackberry Balance" aren't allowed to install Android apps.

but it's fun to read the permissions the app uses , and also I remove "Connect to BBM" for apps that don't really use BBM and they want permission just to write an update on it for your contacts to see
Contributor
My Device: Z 10
My Carrier: telus

Thanks!!
Trusted Contributor
My Device: Z10, Playbook

Some apps actually need the permissions that they ask for and won't work properly if you don't grant it.

Unfortunately, some apps ask for permissions that they don't need, especially a lot of 'free' apps, that are actually ad supported. The app itself doesn't need or use your location data (for example), but that info is used to target ads to your device.

Apps are required to provide a terms of use and privacy statement, or a link to it online, but if an app is sending any data from your device to the outside world, you really don't know what will be done with it.

Some people don't mind this, some do.

Highlighted
Forums Advisor III
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

taylor-tomt wrote:

Some apps actually need the permissions that they ask for and won't work properly if you don't grant it.

Unfortunately, some apps ask for permissions that they don't need, especially a lot of 'free' apps, that are actually ad supported. The app itself doesn't need or use your location data (for example), but that info is used to target ads to your device.

Apps are required to provide a terms of use and privacy statement, or a link to it online, but if an app is sending any data from your device to the outside world, you really don't know what will be done with it.

Some people don't mind this, some do.

I've also noted some apps sending me messages into my hub (I believe via BBM), so I make sure to turn most of the permissions off.. as most of the apps out there don't need them and use them for data mining reasons.

If the app doesn't work with the permissions turned off, then I will try to figure out which one they need to actually work.

Let's face it.. a fart app does not need access to my files, PIN, location or any other personal information. Smiley Wink

-: DrewRead :-
Can't find an app on Blackberry World yet? Tweet the developer and ask when they will #GetWithBB10 !!
"Like it" if you like it. Smiley Happy
Regular Contributor
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: T-Mobile

I am looking at "security and privacy" for a list of apps, and was wondering how I can prevent a downloaded app from accessing my list of contacts.

Is that BBM, or Phone? Or something else?

Contributor
My Device: BBZ10
My Carrier: Bell

From what I read in the legal about app development there are guidelines that are supposed to be followed for privacy.
I like most were excited to try Skype on my phone but after downloading and seeing all options greyed out for privacy I was not impressed. So after Skype confiscated all my contacts out of my hub I realized it was a bad idea but to late. We need a secure way to shield our contacts from apps that in my opinion break BB's privacy limits or at least should carry themselves in a more appropriate manner for being allowed to run under the BlackBerry Brand image.
Forums Advisor III
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

The app developers unfortunately are only able to choose certain generic options for their permissions, that doesn't mean that they use them all. For instance, in order to save something they need 'File Permissions' not 'write only file permissions'. It's not the app developers fault that it is setup that way, and maybe BlackBerry will change they way that works in the future. Only time will tell.

Skype needs access to your 'contacts' so that your Skype contacts can be saved to your device and linked with your BlackBerry contacts. I don't see anything wrong with this. They don't use your contacts in any other way unless you tell/let the app discover your contacts and to look for Skype contacts for you. The app definitely asks you for permission to do that.
-: DrewRead :-
Can't find an app on Blackberry World yet? Tweet the developer and ask when they will #GetWithBB10 !!
"Like it" if you like it. Smiley Happy
Regular Contributor
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: T-Mobile

You don't see anything wrong with Skype linking my contacts together?

I consider that a privacy violation. If I don't want skype to merge my contacts, you're saying there is no way to prevent that?
Wow.