Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Forums Advisor III
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Should the permissions in apps concern me?

Skype isn't merging your contacts. Your BLACKBERRY is, for your benefit so that your contact list is simplified. Just like Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc.

If Skype sends emails to your contacts asking them to join you on Skype it is because you have allowed the app to do so. AGAIN, Skype will ask before doing this...

Skype doesn't do anything with your contacts unless you tell it to. Smiley Wink
-: DrewRead :-
Can't find an app on Blackberry World yet? Tweet the developer and ask when they will #GetWithBB10 !!
"Like it" if you like it. Smiley Happy
Contributor
My Device: BBZ10
My Carrier: Bell

To be fair I retried Skype and took 3 screen shots which shows I have no control over anything Skype wants to do with my data and to install the user must agree. So my contacts are on a cloud somewhere even though it wasn't needed. I need a bare Z10 to test apps before i choose to use perhaps. In a world where information theft ruins lives and company's I don't think I am asking for to much
My Device: BlackBerry Q10
My Carrier: TELUS

Sometimes these permissions are needed by the app in order to do a certain task. For example, WhatsApp might need your device PIN to be able to map your information to their database to identify you in the future. However, it is just as possible for an app to misuse this information (ie: sell it). Use your judgement, if it makes sense for the app to request the information then grant it, if not it is probably not a good idea. However, if the app stops functioning then you might then understand that it is required for functionality.

You could always ask the developer as well and they can clarify as to why this is necessary.
Forums Advisor III

@robzworld - please share those screenshots.. I'd love to see what Skype 'pulled onto the cloud'

From what I understand the only thing that Skype stores is your Skype contacts for Skype (info that your contacts already put onto Skype) Smiley Wink
Can't find an app on Blackberry World yet? Tweet the developer and ask when they will #GetWithBB10 !!
Regular Contributor
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: T-Mobile

If skype has access to my contacts, there is nothing technically preventing the PROGRAM from extracting all the phone numbers and e-mail addresses there and sending e-mail to them all telling them to join skype (substitute skype for any other web service here).

I realize there are technical benefits to storing everything in the same place and in the same way, but if there are is no way to prevent a program that has access to my contacts from accessing contacts of another system, I consider that a very serious security issue.

Forums Advisor III

If you have some evidence if Skype doing this..please feel free to provide it. Otherwise I remain without my tinfoil hat and continue to use Skype with the knowledge that this isn't happening..
Contributor
My Device: BBZ10
My Carrier: Bell

I will try to clarify my point of view which is still relating to the intial question on this thread. I down load skype it ask's me to grant it permissions ( this is normal ) accept or decline ( decline means it wont install which is normal ) . Above accept or decline it has " you can visit the security page in the system settings to view your permissions at any time " ( which is normal ) This would indicate there is at least one option to change a permission of some sort. However after viewing it all of the options are greyed out though the sliders are still visable. So on the accept page it shoud say " by accepting you understand there are no options to change permissions for this app" . With this said i am NOT implying in any way Skype or any apps are using your data in a way that was not agreed upon during its loading. These companys also have privacy policys they have agreed to follow and i have Skype on my laptop which works fine for me. I do trust Skype or i wouldnt use it. And that would be my final comment on this thread , not sure if i helped or not lol
Forums Advisor III

Robzworld - you have answered your own question:

"Above accept or decline it has " you can visit the security page in the system settings to view your permissions at any time " ( which is normal ) This would indicate there is at least one option to change a permission of some sort. "

It says 'visit' and there is no mention of the ability to 'change' the options. So your choice is clear: "accept" what is listed, or "decline" what is listed. Smiley Wink
Highlighted
Contributor

I agree we need better control over apps security. We can safely assume that the second an app gets access to your contacts they extract everything to their server.
AT&T Z10 (v10.1.0.2019)