Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Rogers
Accepted Solution

Silent mode not working (Z10)

Has anyone noticed that when you set the phone to 'Silent Mode' calls and message tones are still coming through as in Normal mode? It's as if Silent Mode and Normal mode are the same. Further, in silent mode, the sound button is greyed out. I downloaded the last Os update, and tried rebooting but no luck. Any advice on this?
Solutions: 6,347
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Silent mode not working (Z10)

[ Edited ]

I haven't noticed that on the alerts coming through while in Silent Mode.

On your Settings screen, it says SILENT and the as the / through the bell icon?

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Correct.. all indications show that I'm in Silent Mode.. including the bell icon with the '/' through it. Seems as though Silent Mode stopped working after the last OS update. So weird...
Elite I
My Carrier: Telus

I know that this may sound like an obvious question, but have you tried to reboot your phone yet? To do this, simply press and hold the power button at the top of the phone for a couple of seconds and then select the Restart option on the next screen.

Silent mode is working correctly on my device, and I'm running the same OS version on my Z10 as you, so it should be working for you...

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

New Contributor

Definitely, that was the first thing I tried, i.e. to restart. I even did a battery pull... running Os 10.10.85. Can an app cause this problem? I recently installed whatsapp, UFC.tv, and skyscanner. I'll try uninstalling a few to see what happens.
New Contributor

Doesn't seem to be an app issue....
Elite I

Alright, in that case, you may simply be dealing with an upgrade that didn't go 100% as it should have. Out of curiosity, is the vibrate mode working correctly?

While I really hate to recommend this, if this is an important feature for you, it may be worth your while to back up your device using BlackBerry Link and reload the software on the device (if it can wait, you can always see if the next software update fixes things for you... catch being I don't know when the next update is coming). To do this, follow the instructions in the link below:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/General-BlackBerry-10-Smartphone/How-to-Reload-your-Blackberr...

If you have any problems, post back as I know I had some initial problems doing this myself.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

New Contributor

Vibrate mode works perfectly. I'll try the OS reload to see if that works. After the last update, "Notifications" don't show in my hub anymore either, and I've seen folks recommend a OS Reload for that too. Maybe this will resolve both issues. Thanks very much for the link!
When I get around to it, i'll definitely give some feedback here.

New Contributor

Reloading the Software did the trick. I have Silent Mode and Notifications back in my hub.

[Warning, re-loading the OS will result in the loss of any purchased apps!]

I didn't have any success with BB Link, it kept rebooting the phone and thats all.

The instruction you provided worked like a charm, thanks for taking the time to post that!!!

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/General-BlackBerry-10-Smartphone/How-to-Reload-your-Blackberr...

I was able to skip a few steps, my reload went in this order:

1. Disconnect your BlackBerry10 device from the PC.
  2. On the PC, turn off your BlackBerry Link and turn off the BlackBerry Desktop Software.
  3. Open your Internet Explorer (Firefox may also work) and navigate to www.BlackBerry.com/updates, Down the webpage , select the "Check for Updates" link.
  4. Connect your BlackBerry10 device with which you're having problems and click the 'check for updates button'.
  5. After these previous steps have been completed, there will be displayed a message: "Checking for BlackBerry Device Software updates. The BlackBerry 10 smartphone will now power itself off after 120 seconds."
  6. After that period, the BlackBerry10's LED is supposed to be lit green.
  7. Wait until after you see the LED turn green. Then, there will appear a prompt to install BlackBerry Device Software.
  8. Follow the remaining prompts to complete the install of the operating system.

Cheers!

Elite I

Perfect! Thanks for the update and I'm glad it worked out for you!