Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
My Device: Z-10
My Carrier: Videotron

Software update

Hi. I just received and installed software release 10.1.0.4184 for my new BB Z-10. It now shows me that I am operating on 3G when I am quite sure that it is in 4G mode. Is this a glitch? Is there a fix? It seems trivial but it is really bugging me. Perhaps I can go back to the OS that was replaced by the update. Suggestions most welcome. Thanks. Alan
Forums Advisor III
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700
My Carrier: BELL

Re: Software update

To start, look in to Settings. Network Connections. Mobile Network.

Open Network Technology. Make sure you are on the top one listed. It should say LTE.

If you still cannot achieve the fastest speed contact your service provider. This could also be an issue with the SIM card, or the provider's system.

As for myself I run the phone in the Second level down which is 3G. It saves about 20% to as much as 30% on battery usage especially in bad reception areas. The LTE (4G) mode uses a lot more power because of the necessary bandwidth. For general browsing, email, and talking I would think the 3G speed is very adequate. I found using the 3G mode with any of these phones the reception is generally better in difficult reception places.

At the fastest speed of LTE is more than what any phone would need unless it was being used as a modem for handling very large data demands. Watching high defination videos at 1080i would is also better at using the LTE type speed. With watching high defination videos the allowable data would be used up very quickly unless the phone plan is very large.

Jerry G.
New Contributor

Thanks Jerry.  Did as you suggested and set the Network Technology field to read LTE/HSPA+/UMTS/GSM.  But at the bottom of the page it still reads Videotron 3G.  I cannot understand it.  Before I moved the setting to the top LTE one, it was on the second setting (same minus the LTE).  Do you know if I can revert to the old software that I had prior to installing the update?

It is interesting that there seems no perceptible difference between 3G and 4G.   Alan

Solutions: 6,357
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

RationalAlan, also, do a reboot on your #Z10. Press and hold the volume UP and DOWN key together for about 10 seconds and the #Z10 will reboot. That may reconnect you bob the LTE network.
>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Suggestion tried.  No luck.  Then I tried removing and reinstalling the battery.  No result.  Even though set on LTE, the phone establishes contact with 3G.  The only thing that I can think of next is to return to factory fresh.  Back up the data and then restore it to a phone that is at factory settings with the original OS.  What do you think?  Alan 

It's worth trying.
>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

It worked.  I've got the old software back and also the 4G.  I am losing some new stuff but one day, BB will get it right.  Went to the store and they told me that changing phones would cost $480.  I'll live with the old OS for another two years and 8 months. 

I'm embarrassed at being such a BB and Canadian loyalist, but it really is a great product.  Customer support contact is also incredibly expensive so I'll wait.  It is truly a shame.  Thanks for your help.  I'm glad that I have found you great people.  Alan 

Hey Alan, you're welcome.

I'd think that some future OS releases will solve your issue, but I know that some radio files within the OS are best adapted for certain specific carriers, and while that shouldn't be something users should need to decipher, I am not familiar with Videotron or what bands they use, so it's pretty hard for me to comment or advise.

Keep aware if Videotron releases a future update, hopefully they'll get it right.

Knowledge Base Updates
Highlighted
New Contributor

It is reassuring to have ready access to expertise from positive folks.  Thanks very much.  Alan