Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: MTN Cameroon
Accepted Solution

Some Help Needed

Hi,

About 2 years ago, my Blackberry Curve got stolen. I had all of my data backed up on my Mac as I used the Balckberry Desktop Software for Macs back then. I recently bought a Z10 and I have read about how to transfer data from various devices including older BBs into the Z10. Only trouble is the procedure requires you to plug in the previous device which i no longer have because it was stolen.

I had a second phone at the time my BB was stolen which I have been using up till now. It had most but not all of the data I had on my BB (mainly contacts). However, I would now like to retrieve the contents of my previous BB and have been uploaded into the Z10.

My question is how can I have this done?

Solutions: 6,357
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Some Help Needed

smambe wrote:

However, I would now like to retrieve the contents of my previous BB and have been uploaded into the Z10.

My question is how can I have this done?

To clarify, you want to RESTORE the contents of the two year old back to your new Z10?

I don't understand your phrase "...and have been uploaded into the Z10."

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Yes that is correct J Sanders. Sorry that phrase confused you. It should have read "... and have them uploaded into the Z10)

When you load., install and use BlackBerry LINK on your PC, you will connect your Z10 to the PC and connect with Link. You will need to login to Link your BlackBerryID.

In Link, you will find the RESTORE option on the left hand menu column.

Click on that, and in the popup screen, you will click on 'restore from legacy device" and proceed from there.

More detailed information can be found here:  How to migrate data from a BlackBerry smartphone running BlackBerry Device Software 5.0 and above to...

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

Hi J

I tried what you suggested yesterday but still did not succeed. After reading again the instructions in the link you sent me, I realised this couldn't work anyway because it is only possible from a Windows computer as mentioned in the instructions. I use a Mac.

Thanks all the same for your help.

OK. From the two year old backup, you should be able to extract the contacts and other data using one of the MAC version softwares below.  Look at all the three options below, I don't recall which one has a MAC version.

Then, using the extracted database of contacts you can import those with a third party app installed on the Z10 , such as InTouch Contacts.

There are a couple of options for extracting and viewing data from a the backup files.

1. The IPD Parse macro is designed to read a Blackberry IPD file and create reports in MSWord or MSExcel. It is free, and you can find out more here: https://sites.google.com/site/ipdparse/home
For .bbb backup files, use this macro to extract seven "primary" IPD files (Address Book, Calendar, SMS Messages, Tasks, Memos, PIN Messages and Phone Call Logs)
IPD bbb Extract macro https://sites.google.com/site/ipdbbbextract
These IPD files can subsequently be used as inputs to the other macro, IPD Parse, to produce reports.

2. Another options is MagicBerry from MenaStep... which extract from a backup IPD or BBB file, split IPD files, etc. http://menastep.com/pages/magicberry.php

3. Another IPD and BBB file utility is BlackBerry Backup Extractor, and is available for PC and Mac, and can be found here: http://www.blackberryconverter.com/ There is a free and paid version.

Knowledge Base Updates