Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Koodo

Start up without prompting

[ Edited ]

Hello:

I turn my Z10 off and as I am looking at it, it turns itself back on.  It downloads without authorization, for example this message shows up after a reset, "this update contains files and applications specific to your region and wireless service provider." 

The page lists available wi-fi connections and offered the following 2 options: "Add" and "WPS".  I cannot "Add" because all the wi-fi networks are locked (besides, I don't want to join any wi-fi network for safety reasons).

I am stuck here and cannot move forward and use the phone for its intended purpose - to make phone calls.  

One morning I woke up, (at the time I had disconnected my home wi-fi) and the phone had downloaded 331MB of data.  How is this possible?

Why is my phone forcing me to download?  I cut off data because of security reasons and previous breach of my laptop and phones by an ex-boyfriend.  Must I absolutely download and use wi-fi?  I would prefer not to because I would like to have a very secure phone that does not dictate to me.  By the way, phone calls are dropped, there are clicks before a call is connected, lots of fuzzy noise, and this phone previously locked itself and showed an image that prompted me to plug the phone into my computer.  Why does my phone have a mind of its own?

Is my phone hacked?!?!

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Re: Start up without prompting

Hi vickers and welcome to the BlackBerry Support Community Forums!

From what you are indicating, it sounds like there was a software update available for your BlackBerry Z10. You may have started the update without realizing it and then turned off your Wi-Fi network, causing the device to download the update using your mobile network.

If you do not want to use data on your device, contact your wireless provider to have them cancel your data plan then make sure not to enable Wi-Fi.

Thanks.

-CptS

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Koodo

Re: Start up without prompting

[ Edited ]

No, sorry, I did not start any update without realizing it.  Actually, I am adamant about no downloads/updates.  Hence the reason for a couple of resets.  The device has a mind of its own and will absolutely not allow entrance into the phone without the downloads.

I bought the Z10 for security reasons, i.e. no downloads without my authorization!!!  

I did contact my service provider and request cancellation of my data plan, still, the plone will not allow me past the insistance of wi-fi connection/downloade/update page.  

By the way, is the Z10 encumbered to have a data plan?  

I attemped to charge the device yesterday; the device kept turning on after a solid power off.  I would again turn it off but it would turn itself back on.  I thought this might be normal so I turned it off without charging it, but all to no avail, it continues to turn itself back on as I look on in amazement.

Does this appear to be a secure phone to you?  Please advice on my choices.