Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
My Device: z10
My Carrier: 3 mobile

Static

Hello,

I seem to be having a problem with static discharge on my new bb z10.

i was having a problem when connecting to my laptop, it would keep turning off suddenly and rebooting, which i thought was an issue with the USB port.

then yesterday i was getting electric shocks (mild) through the headphones with the z10 in my pocket.

Today there was another small static charge while it was plugged into my laptop and it cut the power again.

This is the second handset as the first developed a software fault and I had it exchanged, so it seems to be a design problem.

is there anyone who can help with this? I don't want to get a different phone, the z10 is really good.

Many thanks

Richard

Forums Advisor I
My Device: Blackberry Z10, Blackberry Playbook 64gb
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Static

wow that is not normall,, hmmm.. the case is mainly plastic. Take a static sheet that you use for drying cloths and rub it against the phone on outside and back of the inside of the case. You might want to hold the phone and touch something metal first to discharge the static built up.  I wouldn't touch the internal components. Also are you using the supplied USB Cable that came with your z10 to connect to your PC.

New Contributor

hello.

Thank you for your reply.

I shall give that a try and see what happens. 

I don't always, no, as the cable provided doesn't always work as well as others. Internet tethering and hotspot doesn't work too well if I use the provided cable, but does fine with the cable for my old bberry. 

as I recall, the problem has occured with all the cables I have used, but can't be certain. I shall stop using this non bberry one and only use my bberry ones to see if that helps, though it shouldn't cause this sort of problem one would think.

also, doesn't explain the headphone shock. I had tracksout trousers on that have a similar material that generates a fair bit of static like the clothes.

will do further testing and report back

many thanks

richard

Forums Advisor I
My Device: Blackberry Z10, Blackberry Playbook 64gb
My Carrier: Bell

Blackberry highly recommends to use the cable and charger that came with it Old BB cables and chargers don't work well, it would actually drain your battery. Other USB cables, could cause a short as you experienced. 

Highlighted
New Contributor

Hello

The cable that came with my 9200 works the best. It charges better through the computer and doesn't short out. possibly because it is a much shorter cable, about 5 inches. 

This evening I went to the shop listening to the radio with the headphones and suddenly the whole handet sent dead and souldn't turn back on. I had to take the battery out and put it back in before it would work again.

There definietly seems to be a static issue with the phone when a wire is plugged in. 

As you say it is mostly plastic so it must be caused when cloth is rubbed on the glass surface.

Alternatively, their could be a problem with the handset that is causing a short circuit.

Either was if it doesn't improve I'm going to have to switch to something else Smiley Sad 

I might try switching the handset one more time to see if it is just this particular one.

If there are any other suggestions, they would be much appreciated, I don't want to have to give up on my z10

Many thanks

Richard