Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Classic and Blackberry Q10
My Carrier: Vodafone UK

Syncing the Z10 with the "updated" Blackberry Link

I recently downloaded the update to the Blackberry Link. I then downloaded my contacts, calendar etc from my BB Bold 9900 to the updated Link desktop application and followed the instructions.

Once the downloading from the BB9900 was complete, I plugged in the Z10. When the syncing from the Link to the Z10 was complete, I discovered that there are a number of contacts that have been duplicated three or more times in the Z10. The duplicated contacts appear to be random except that they all only have a name in the company section of the contact "form" but no personal name (i.e. restaurants, hotels, airlines etc)

Has anyone else noted this phenomenon and could someone from BB please tell me how to stop the Link syncing process having this effect.

Thanks

PJCMoray

PJCMoray
Retired
My Device: Q10/Q5/Z10/9930/9860/9310

Re: Syncing the Z10 with the "updated" Blackberry Link

Hey PJCMoray,

Thanks for the post.

What version of Outlook are you currently using?  Also if you do a security wipe on the BlackBerry Z10 and then import the contacts from Microsoft Outlook before you do the switch device wizard, are the contacts still duplicated?

I look forward to your reply.

Cheers.

-ViciousFerret

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Click  Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Classic and Blackberry Q10
My Carrier: Vodafone UK

Thanks for your response.,

I am using Outlook 2010 on a Windows 7 64-bit OS running on a Toshiba Ultrabook Satellite Z830 1OU. Before I carry out the security wipe you ask, could you please confirm what you mean by "switch device wizard"? Are you asking me to wipe the Z10, then connect the Z10 to the BB Link and download contacts etc?

May I add "en passant" as they say in Montreal (and Paris) that I have been a Blackberry user since they were introduced into the UK in the early 1990s. I have remained stubbornly loyal. I am disappointed by the inability of the Z10 to continue the old tried, tested and much loved synchronisation feature with Outlook and consider the arrogance of the BB OS10 developers in deciding to discard this feature as absolutely unforgiveable and frankly downright stupid. Sadly the initial sales figures following the introduction into the US would appear to support this view.

But hey! BB have designed one very sexy device with some brilliant features. The display qualities on e-mail attachments in Excel and Adobe pdf are outstanding. So I am going to forgive you, hold on to my Z10, buy the Q10 in late April when it is introduced into the UK - PROVIDED we sort out this issue of synchronising to Outlook.

Synchronising to Outlook with a USB cable and nothing else is absolutely key. Synchronising using the "cloud" is not an option. "Cloud" to me means rain or snow - and we have had enough of this in the UK over the last twelve months without BB adding to our misery.

So please - no more word of cloud - let's boogie with the well tried and trusted USB cable!!

I look forward to trying out your requested test if you can clarify how you want me to proceed (as you may have guessed, I am a total nerd (i.e. an ex-investment banker) so I need gentle explanations!!)

Thanks again

Charles

aka PJCMoray

PJCMoray
Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Wind Mobile

I think the issue has more to do with Microsoft recently making a major upgrade to Outlook in the last little while.. I've had no trouble symcing my Z10 using BlackBerry Link on my computer running windows 7 64bit