Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: z10
My Carrier: telus

Tethered APN setting

Once my carrier's (Telus) SIM card is inserted, I can no longer see the "Configure" option for Internet Tethering, where the tethered connection APN can be set. This is important, since Telus requires a different APN to allow a VPN link through a tethered connection. I have tried removing the SIM card, setting the APN, and then reinserting the SIM, but that did not work since the APN setting was cleared after the SIM was inserted. Telus support says that this is a problem in the Z10 that was supposed to be adressed in the next release. Can anyone confirm this and give an estimated date of the fix? Or is there a workaround?

Retired
My Device: Q10/Q5/Z10/9930/9860/9310

Re: Tethered APN setting

Hey dmoule,

Welcome to the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

Thanks for the question.

What version of BlackBerry 10 software are you using?  Go to Settings>About to get this information.  Also by default the APN settings are blocked out as the SIM card provides the APN settings.  If it is blocked out, there is no current workaround.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Cheers.

-ViciousFerret

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Click  Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

New Contributor
My Device: z10
My Carrier: telus

Re: Tethered APN setting

I finally resolved this working with the Telus Enterprise Service Desk (very helpful) -- the solution lies with the engineering screen that is accessed through the web browser. The instructions for accessing this are at:

http://crackberry.com/how-access-engineering-screen-blackberry-10

Be careful with this utility because you can mess your phone up! Once you've carefully followed the instructions to access the escreen go to the "General Radio" page and enter "vpn.telus.com" in the APN field about half way down the page. Note that there are no trailing blanks or other invisible characters allowed as there does not seems to be any validation done on the entered string. Once this was done I had no problem connecting from my laptop tethered via the phone's hotspot service and was able to establish a VPN connection using a Cisco ASA client on my laptop. It's reasonably good speed too, over a 4G connection. Note that I couldn't get this to work using the Bluetooth tethering, but I didn't investigate that option in any detail.