Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Contributor
My Device: Z 10
My Carrier: telus

Thanks for help but now I need to backup contacts only, any idea how?

[ Edited ]

Everytime I ask the z10 to copy contacts from the device TO the sim card (in case I need to switch devices) it tells me not all contacts will be copied shows the new progress scroll circle and then fails to copy contacts.  I figured maybe it is the ones I copied over from my 9900 but it also fails to copy contacts I created on my new z10.  Please advise.  Thank you.

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Has Anyone been able to copy contacts TO the sim?

Copying contacts to the sim card is really a useless feature. The sim card only holds one number per name and is limited in the number of names/contacts it will hold. The address book in the device is so much more comprehensive. The feature is made for those that had standard cell phones and saved names and number on sim cards on those simple devices.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Contributor

Thanks for the reply but I still have the need to backup just device contacts, please help

Thank you for the reply and I agree however I have a dilemma that adds a wrinkle.  The text message platform on my z10 seems to have some errors as I cannot delet all or generate mypin in a text.  The provider is going to swap out my phone but the backup in BB link does allow for a partial backup that is specific to items other than media, applications etc.  With this I fear a full backup will import whatever is causing the sms errors.  How can I copy my device contacts only?

G2M
Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9900
My Carrier: ATT

I think there are two ways to do this. If you have an older bb device try a bluetooth to bluetooth contact transfer to your old phone and then migrate it back to your new phone.

I understand if you wouldn't want to do this. I know I have my objections to it and hope BB fixes link asap for outlook/backup, but that's another story.

You could make an outlook.com account and sync your contacts to it, by adding that outlook.com to your phone. This would back up your contacts to outlook.com and then you can re-sync to your new phone by readding the account.
Contributor

I just tried this and am new to outlook.com.  Since you are not allowed to sign in to your outlook.com on its own I guess I need to create a new one separate from my new alias within hotmail?

G2M
Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9900
My Carrier: ATT

Re: Thanks for help but now I need to backup contacts only, any idea how?

I'm not too familiar with hotmail. I did create a new outlook account specifically for contacts and calendars. I'm pretty sure your hotmail one would work as long as you added it to your phone and allowed it to sync contacts. If not, you could make a new one specifically for this transfer and then delete it when you're done.
Contributor

I simply synced my hotmail contats and it worked.  I was worried that all of my email contacts would import to my phone and they did but that is okay I will delete from pc and it should work.  Thanks for your help.  Much appreciated.

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Z10 (returned) ** Torch and now my first non BB product a Samsung Note II so I can sync my Outlook,Notes,ToDo list,Categories,I am loving it !! I never knew a phone could do so much !!! hurry up RIM

[ Edited ]

You can sign in to Outlook.com with your Hotmail ID.   There are plans in the works to force all the Hotmail accounts,Live & Msn accounts to Outlook.com.  You will still keep your original ID, everything will be there. 

There may also be a upgrade button on the right hand side under options in your Hotmail account.

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. - Thomas Edison.
Contributor

[ Edited ]

Awesome, thanks!

Contributor

Once contacts are synced with an email and brought to device how can i now save them to device permanently?

Okay, that all worked but once I have synced the contacts they only remain on phone so long as I keep the sync on.  Is there any way to now save them to the device?