Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Bell

Traveling abroad

Hello,  I just finished a 2 week trip to Europe with my Z10 in tow.  Here are some comments that unfrotunately, I find very disturbing.

1- Air Canada Rouge has WIFI on some planes, with an APP to access all the entertainment that used to exist on little TV's in the seat of the person infront of you.  Well that APP is only available in Android and Apple products.

2- I was in Barcelona, Paris, and many other small towns in between.  It turns out that all major cities have apps for subway, city tours, etc.  But they were all for Android and Apple products.

I didn't see once anything that supported Blackberry.  I have contacted AirCanada about their lack of support for Blackberry products, but the lack of support for BB products needs to be pushed more at the top.  If there were more APPs people would more likely use them. I don't know where to post this, and can't find a general mail box for Blackberry.  I hope that someone reads this and can pass on the message.

Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Traveling abroad

[ Edited ]

It's a vicious circle; developers won't develop for a platform that every second person doesn't use and more people don't flock to a platform that doesn't have a gazillion apps from developers.

BlackBerry has many things going for it but oodles and oodles of (mostly useless) apps isn't one of those things (and I'm not knocking any apps to which you referred in your post). BlackBerry has recently changed things around and you can now load Android apps on a BB 10 phone running OS 10.2.1+. Sadly, it appears you have a PlayBook (according to your description under your avatar) and that doesn't support the loading of Android apps and never will.

Just know that you have one of the most powerful communications platforms in your hands and it's only going to get better with the release of OS 10.3 and new phones like the Passport (have you seen the killer specs on that thing???).

Cheers.  Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Bell

Oh, I am aware of the circle that you describe.  I just thought that Rim would have talked to major transportation firms in CANADA to support "Made in Canada" a little more.  There is a app by Air Canada for booking tickets, and schedules etc, but not for the in-flight entertainment.

It is just dis appointing, since I know that the Z10 was released in London. I just thought that there may be more users of the BB hardware.

I have tried to load Android Apps in the past on the Z10 and also the Playbook. In some cases they work, in others they don't.

I have seen / heard about the two new phones, and l look forward to giving them a try at some point.

thanks

My Device: Z10 10.2.1.3247
My Carrier: T-Mo USA

[ Edited ]

I have found with the later OS (I'm on .2228) that not only can I load Android apps directly, (no snap needed) but most of them work.  For instance, have a couple of banking apps in Android (not avail in BBerry World) that work just fine.