Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Z10
My Carrier: Bell Canada
Accepted Solution

Two issues I'm having

Hey, I'm having two problems.

First issue is I have a text message notification displayed in my hub, which is for a text message from Scotiabank (which I have text alerts setup for my bank account). I've opened the message and it doesn't clear, and I've tried to delete the message and it won't go away. I also have an old text message locked in there from 2010 that I can't delete, and finally several blank text messages that - once again - will not delete.

More worrying is the problem I noticed today, which is that my phone keeps activating shared access on whatever network I login into. If I shut off every connection other than wifi, and have "access using wifi" turned off in the memory settings, I suddenly get a notification on my laptop that my phone has been connected and that there are two drive letters now mapped. I can simply open up the mapped drives and access all my files - modify, add, delete, anything...

I had the device hooked up via usb the day before, and thought nothing of the drive mappings. But this is happening through the wifi, even though I have the access using wifi option off...

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: EE (Orange)

Re: Two issues I'm having

You need to open up Link on your computer and go into the settings - you can turn the wifi sync off from there.
Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

For the messages, try resetting the Hub. In the Hub, do 5 diagonal swipes from the top right into the hub. That should reset it. Does that help?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Contributor
My Device: z10
My Carrier: Rogers

That post worries me a little bit as well, what with the sharing files and all.

I know you can turn it off on your computer, but what's keeping someone else from running the program with it turned on?  Wouldn't they be able to download all your files if you were nearby if you didn't turn it off from your phone?

Contributor

Thanks for the replies. Not sure why I didn't get of it sooner, but I did a security wipe of the phone just in case there were other problems that I hadn't noticed yet, and then restored the Z10 backup that I made. I was able to clear the messages after this, but it probably only needed a hub restart. Glad to know the restart procedure is easy if that happens again!

As far as the second issue, I would assume it only shows up on my own computer, and didn't create a mapped drive for the entire network. With that said, turning off wifi in BlackBerry Link has cured the problem! 

Thanks again to both of you for the help 

Contributor
My Device: Curve 8520
My Carrier: Orange

Wifi ? The Link software I have installed doesn't have any options at all for Wifi, this post is the first I knew that it used Wifi ....

Contributor

That's what I had thought too.

When your phone is connected, click on the settings button (gear icon, top right of program), and then click on your phones tab on the bottom (or you can do it in the other order as well).

When you do this, you open up a few options such as automatic backup scheduling, what gets syncronized when your phone connects to your comupter, Folders where it syncs, Wireless sync, and log files. It also shows you a nice bar along the top that shows how much storage space is used up and by what.

Contributor
My Device: z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Now if only I can get it to sync with my computer...

Contributor

I hated Link when I first tried it, but am quickly growing comfortable with it. With the phone plugged in to USB, on the main screen of Link should be your computer and your phone on the bottom tab.

To send files from the computer manually, click the computer tab on the bottom, and then one of the 4 types of files. You should be able to then select where from (ie. for pictures - All Pictures, My Pictures (and subfolders), Public Pictures, etc). Right click the folder, and tell it Sync To and click on the name of your phone.

Similar procedure for phone to computer, click phone tab, select type, folder, and then sync to desktop.

For auto syncronization you may need to go into the settings and fiddle with a couple of things. I turned mine right off, as I haven't gotten the folders setup how I want to yet, and don't need it trying to sync nearly 100GB of photos I've taken to the phone.

Contributor

Found myself beating my head off the wall a little again.

I had sync turned off. I removed the micro sd card, put it in my laptop, and then added 16GB of pictures, 10GB of video, and 5GB of music. Plug the card back into the phone, and click on pictures. Nothing. Go to music, nothing. Go to video, nothing.

Came to find out I had to plug in the phone, open BB Link, turn Sync back on, and then it started populating the list of files, and copied nearly 32GB of data back to my laptop because it wasn't in the sync folders. Crazy...