Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
My Device: BB Storm
My Carrier: Telus

Unlocked phone

I'm from Canada but I work for a non-profit and travel internationally a lot.  I usually buy a local chip for my BB Storm to use when I'm overseas (generally South America) to cut down on roaming costs.  Is it possible to do this with a BB 10?  Can I buy one that's unlocked?  I love my Storm but I'd really like to upgrade...

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Unlocked phone

Whether they're unlocked depends on the carrier. Once unlocked you can use any sim and it will brand to that sim.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor

Thanks! It's not possible to buy one unlocked for BlackBerry is it?  Someone suggested you could but I haven't seen that.  You also wouldn't know what carriers sell unlocked phones?  Sorry lots of questions...

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

BlackBerry doesn't sell them directly.

They're only available in Canada and the UK. Check with someone at a Telus store near you and see if they offer them unlocked or not. A lot has changed so I'm not sure just what the carriers are doing with the Z10's.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor

Thanks! 

New Contributor
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: Rogers

You can buy a BB10 from Future Shop or other retailer, and go month-to-month on a plan. This means you buy the phone outright, but are on a month-to-month contract -- you can cancel at any time without penalty because you paid for the phone. That's what I did.

Forums Advisor III
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

$20 or less to unlock them online. I did mine just fine for $20. Koodo z10 running on Rogers. Smiley Happy
-: DrewRead :-
Can't find an app on Blackberry World yet? Tweet the developer and ask when they will #GetWithBB10 !!
"Like it" if you like it. Smiley Happy
Highlighted
New Contributor

Thanks everyone!