Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

RAP
New Contributor
My Device: Z10

Video mp4 files from Z10 do not play on Windows Media Player

The video files from the Z10 (created using the camera app) are saved as mp4 files. After syncing to my Win7 PC, I can not play them from the PC using Windows Media Player. They play fine using Quicktime player and ``Media Player Classic``.

I use Windows Media Player for all my other mp4 videao files. Has anyone else encountered this probem.

Forums Advisor I
My Device: Blackberry Z10, Blackberry Playbook 64gb
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Video mp4 files from Z10 do not play on Windows Media Player

Windows Media Player supports only certain type of Codec.  The windows player can play the video, but since the audio is seperate, it doesn't link both together. The solution is for other Media Players that can play all kinds of various formats. Divx player is also one of the best out there.. I know the storey Maker works real well with Windows Media Player.. That codec  is compatable..

RAP
New Contributor
My Device: Z10

It's interesting that the audio portion of the mp4 file from the Z10 does play OK on Windows Media Player. It's the video that doesn't. mp4 files from other sources play OK using Windows media Player.

Highlighted
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

VLC is one of the best players for just about any format and spyware free.

https://www.videolan.org/vlc/

I dont have any issue with mediaplayer on my laptop with my Z10 so you might have a codec issue.

there are some codec pacs out there but some have spyware in them so be careful if you go that route

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Virgin Mobile

[ Edited ]

I'm using Win7 as well on my Acer laptop with Windows Media Player and I'm having trouble playing videos I've uploaded from my Z10. I had originally recorded about 4 videos and they play fine even until now on my computer. But any other video's I've taken with my Z10 have either not played at all on Win.Media Player (I get a black screen on the player and the time doesn't elapse) or the file plays with audio only( no video). I find this strange as I've managed to view some videos earlier, but any other video I record now and download on my computer, it doesn't play properly. As others have mentioned, I will download divx and try then.

UPDATE:

just finished downloading DivX Plus free version. Had no problem playing all the videos on my computer that I've recorded on my Z10.

My Device: BlackBerry Touch
My Carrier: AT

According to Microsoft support website, Windows Media Player still won't support MP4 files. Though we can make WMP play MP4 video by install some codec, sometime we still encounter can't play MP4 in Windows Media Player issue. MP4 is a container format which may contain multiple video and audio streams. And the video and audio stream can be encoded any of several ways. If the MP4 video or audio codec is not WMP installed codec supported one, Windows Media Player won't play MP4 video of this kind.

In order to solve "Windows Media Player won't play MP4 files even when the appropriate codec is installed" and to successfully play any MP4 video in Windows Media Player, we had better convert MP4 to Windows Media Player more supported video format like WMV, AVI with video converter like iDealshare VideoGo.

Just google search Step by Step Guide to Convert MP4 to Windows Media Player with iDealshare VideoGo, you will find a detailed guide.

My Device: Blackberry Z10
My Carrier: I am on AT&T

You may be interest in this tutorial which I found on Microsoft:

How to Solve "Windows Media Player Won't Play MP4" Issue?

To make WMP support MP4 format, you should install filters for MP4 format and its associated codecs. After you install these filters, all players that use DirectShow technology, include WMP, will support MP4 format. There are a bunch of third party codec packs on the internet that support not only MP4 format, but also many other common formats. Just Google "codec pack", you will find K-Like and CCCP are the most famous of them.

What if you cannot install codec pack? For example, you will play MP4 on other people's computer and you are not authorized to install any program? On this situation, converting your MP4 to WMP natively supported WMV or AVI format with Faasoft Video Converter is the best choice.