Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Solutions: 6,349
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: WIFI connection Limited

Oh. The 'why'.

Because it is s mobile device, you're moving around. WiFi signals are not hard-wired connections (Yes, I know you know that, just had to say). So, your BlackBerry (or my daughter's in my home) as she flitters around, gets the weakest connection.

Also, you mentioned you use your BlackBerrys a lot around lunchtime, running a business in your home? That's also the most likely time your employees just on to Youtube and facebook when you hop from your desk they start flittering around the internet, bandwidth gets strained... and you are the weakest link.

Makes sense to me.  Have you even tried deleting the saved wifi profile and reconnecting to it like I suggested?

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
My Device: z10
My Carrier: o2

[ Edited ]

Many thanks again for the reply,

The iPads are as portable as the BB's and get moved around and used as much as the BB's, even the laptops get used round the house, oh and the iPhone that belongs to the son, and no other device drops connection!!  Also, there are no employees jumping on YouTube etc whilst I'm away from the desk, there are no employees in the house,  I'm not sure you have understood everything I have said as you say your daughter flitters around and gets the weakest connection?? They are not weaker connections they keep droppping connection regularly!

Don't worry about it.  And yes of course I have deleted the wifi profile and reconnecting.

I will contact the IP and see if there is anything they can do with the settings on the router from their end as there is obviously nothing that can be done within settings etc on the BB devices.

Thanks again for your help.

Edited content to comply withCommunity GuidelinesandTerms and Conditions of Use.

[ Edited ]

You asked why. I answered why. I was not going to answer the question because I knew you wouldn't like the answer.

I provided two helpful suggestions from the start.

My final suggestion, call O2, and get official support on the issue.

JAFTHERED wrote:

They are not weaker connections they keep droppping connection regularly!

Exactly. The weaker connection drops.

Anyway, I appreciate your thanks, you're welcome.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor
My Carrier: o2

[ Edited ]

So to clarify, you are saying that this is just something that happens to our BB's and no other device?  If I'm not mistaken I tried the suggestions you gave me, they just didnt make a difference?

'the weaker connection drops' It's as if you are saying just to deal with it!! To me it is this simple, if it wasn't something within the BB's themselves then it would happen to other devices, I am just trying to figure out if there are any other settings on the BB itself to prevent this, 

There is no way, whatsoever that phones of this magnitude should regularly be dropping wifi connections when 3 apple products, used in the same areas, at the same times never experience wifi drops or any connection issues, let alone any stationary wifi devices that connect and stay connected.

Lets just leave it there,  I appreciate the suggestions I have been given 

Ok.

Once you understand how it works, you might come to agree with me, but it is what it is, and we shall leave it at that, as you suggest.

Sorry I couldn't do more.

Knowledge Base Updates
My Device: 0

Thank you for participating in this conversation. The topic seems to have run off course. Please remember that this is a Peer-to-Peer Support Community forum, we ask that you keep your posts courteous when directing your comments at one another.

Thank you!

Chronos                                                                                                      New to the Community click here  
Community Moderator
Likes2.png  AS3.png  CG2.png
New Contributor
My Carrier: bell

J sanders, you are not providing a solution that even makes sense. The issue the op is speaking of is a bug in 10.2 that blackberry is failing to acknowledge. There are hundreds of people complaining of this on crackberry.com. Everyone I know with a bb10 is having this issue as well. The only work around at this time is to disable mobile data, then wifi will work. Here is what's happening.

Randomly the BlackBerry will not show the wifi connection in the top notification area. If you go to the settings it shows that wifi Is connected. In the network information it shows an ip address from the wifi network but when the wifi icon in the notification area isn't displayed, the BlackBerry uses mobile data for everything. Again, the only known workaround is to disable mobile data, then the wifi icon shows up in the notification area and you can use wifi network. The issue is very intermittent, some days it all works as expected, some days we have these symptoms. It happens on various different wifi access points. And has nothing to do with how many devices are connected. The issue has only come up after 10.2 was launched. Any explanation for that?
Forums Veteran I
My Device: Z30, Z10
My Carrier: Vodacom

JAFTHERED wrote:

So to clarify, you are saying that this is just something that happens to our BB's and no other device?  If I'm not mistaken I tried the suggestions you gave me, they just didnt make a difference?

'the weaker connection drops' It's as if you are saying just to deal with it!! To me it is this simple, if it wasn't something within the BB's themselves then it would happen to other devices, I am just trying to figure out if there are any other settings on the BB itself to prevent this, 

There is no way, whatsoever that phones of this magnitude should regularly be dropping wifi connections when 3 apple products, used in the same areas, at the same times never experience wifi drops or any connection issues, let alone any stationary wifi devices that connect and stay connected.

Lets just leave it there,  I appreciate the suggestions I have been given 

I've got two pc's, one WD Live Media Player, one Z10, one 9800 and and one ipad mini connected via WiFi. The ipad mini drops connection at least 3 times during an hour of use (no limited notice), the WD Live often forgets the connection but once reconnected does not drop connection while in use.

tonypigz wrote:
J sanders, you are not providing a solution that even makes sense. The issue the op is speaking of is a bug in 10.2 that blackberry is failing to acknowledge. There are hundreds of people complaining of this on crackberry.com. Everyone I know with a bb10 is having this issue as well. The only work around at this time is to disable mobile data, then wifi will work. Here is what's happening.

And you don't know the complete story. If I recall correctly, the user above finally determined that he could change the broadcast bands of his WiFi Router and his subsequent update indicated his BlackBerrys were holding the WiFi signal well.

So, while you may determine my solution didn't make sense, the user did finally look away from the BlackBerry hardware and to the router for the solution.

Knowledge Base Updates
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
My Device: Z10 STL100-2
My Carrier: Out

Guys, we have to cool down at first Smiley Happy
I had that problem and solution was very simple: I switched off WMM and MAC filtering in router wireless options. BB stopped losing connection.
A very useful thing for speed up Wi-Fi is manual editing DHCP and ARP tables both.
A have 7 devices on my home wireless incl. 2 Z10s and haven't absolutely any problems