Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Contributor
My Device: z10
My Carrier: o2

WIFI connection Limited

AAAAAGGGGHHHHH!!!

This is driving me nuts too!! WIFI keeps dropping signal on my BBZ10 and also my wifes BBQ10. There are another 10 or so devices in the house with no issues what so ever.

To make things more irritating, it is completely random. We are both regularly connected to the home hub, yet cannot access online apps or online browsing. Then the z10 will sometimes drop connectivity and a message will appear in the hub saying 'Wifi connection limited' and then all of a sudden an hour or 2 later, it will re connect to the wifi.

tried all sorts, anyone else having a similar issue? 

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Z30, Z10 (10.3.2.2876), 9860 (7.1), Samsung S4
My Carrier: Indosat

Re: WIFI connection Limited

Hello JAFTHERED

I have this issue once and made some tricks to dealt with my home wifi:

1. Use static/manual ip address setting in my Z10 and 9860. It's worked and the devices able to communicated properly with home wifi. However, you must know how to use this setting.

2. Factory reset of my home wifi. You MUST know exactly how to do this. After resetted, we can choose  auto obtain IP address setting in our handheld as default setting.

3. Knowledge Based: Article ID: KB14477 Unable to connect to a Wi-Fi network on the BlackBerry smartphone.

You can choose one of bove options to settle your wifi issue.

Cheers and good luck.

Click like.jpgto thanks those who help you • If your issue solved, mark the best post in your thread as Solution message_type_solution1.gif

Self Support: Knowledge Base & Manuals

Solutions: 6,396
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Some WiFi routers are limited to a specific number of connections, five or ten or whatever. You might check the router to make sure your limit is too low.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor

Hi,

It's not that as it is specifically only the 2 BB's in the house, and also that would not explain the fact that they show as connected but just randomly drop connection and only on my handset get the 'wifi connection limited' warning.  There have been new devices enter the house whilst we have had the phones and there is no problem setting them up for unlimited super fast wifi with no connection issues, so I reiterate, there is something specific about the 2 BB's that is not keeping a constant connection with the wifi.

OK.

I'd check, for sure. I've seen that EXACT problem before because YOU are using this device, you notice it more. A stationary laptop or iPad it might not be noticed or dropped because it is stationary. Likewise, if you have a couple of other devices streaming music or a movie via WiFi, your device may very well be limited due to bandwidth. That's common. Before, if you refuse to check, ok.

On your Z10, go to the WiFi screen > Saved Profiles.

Delete the saved profile for that router.

Reboot the Z10.

Setup the WiFi connection again.

That might help with a stronger connection. It will not help with dropped connections due to limitations of the router.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi,

it definitely is just the 2 phones and nothing else. The business is ran from home so the laptop and iPad gets used constantly, mostly all day every day during the week and there have never been any dropping out issues with these devices, and thats 2 laptops and 2 iPads, the phones actually get used the least - like when taking lunch or a short break, and we this is when we are noticing the dropouts in connection, and also, why does only the BBZ10 get this annoying 'WIFI Connection Limited' notice in the hub and not the other phone? Or for that matter, if the other devices were dropping out why would they not get the error message?

Confusing I know, i will be one very impressed bunny if someone fixes this as I have spent months googling it and for some reason only just decided to join the forums today!

JSanders wrote:

OK.

I'd check, for sure. I've seen that EXACT problem before because YOU are using this device, you notice it more. A stationary laptop or iPad it might not be noticed or dropped because it is stationary. Likewise, if you have a couple of other devices streaming music or a movie via WiFi, your device may very well be limited due to bandwidth. That's common. Before, if you refuse to check, ok.

On your Z10, go to the WiFi screen > Saved Profiles.

Delete the saved profile for that router.

Reboot the Z10.

Setup the WiFi connection again.

That might help with a stronger connection. It will not help with dropped connections due to limitations of the router.

Edited content to comply withCommunity GuidelinesandTerms and Conditions of Use.

Yep, as I suspected, just what I expected. The laptops being built as stationary devices keep the more solid connection and hold.

I do the two things I've recommend. If after a week, you contnue to constantly lose connections, drop back by.

Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor

Thanks, and I appreciate the advice but there are no limitations on the router?

Cool, good for checking.

Then it's likely bandwidth of the router. 8-10 devices is a lot for a normal router to handle.

You might consider a second router as well. And don't forget, your router only distributes the signal the ISP gives you through the cable.

Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor

Hi,
Thanks again, however it looks like we'll have to agree to disagree! I am no expert however if that was the likely scenario it would not just affect the Blackberry's alone whilst everything else works fine! I agree with you that there is way too many devices that can connect to the router (in reality through the day though only 5 or 6) however my main issue that no-one seems to be able to answer is 'why only the BB's dropping out'???