Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: 4168787137

Re: What is OTHER DATA on Blackberry Z10?????

As far as I know, the Os itself is about 9 gigs, thats from a fresh install when you buy the phone itself without any apps added or whatever, straight from the store. 

The updates to add up, considering you might have 6megs of update, which once it extracts, it almost doubles. 

As for pictures, depending on the format you're using, they do take a lot of space, but not to the point it should be doubling the amount your importing into it. 

To solve the issue, get yourself a 16 or 32 gig micro SD card to put it in, put your data files on the card, which leaves the OS and whatever data the phone needs to run smooth. 

Formatting the phone to original settings might help, but if you end up restoring your backup, it will just end up doing the same thing again. 

So either clean out your unwanted files, cache, etc. 

Solutions: 6,350
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

The OS uses no where near 9GB.

My device is at:

• Total 16 GB
  • Free 9.8 GB
  • Videos 0 KB
  • Pictures 30.6 MB
  • Documents 3.1 MB
  • Music 11 MB
  • Other Data 6.1

The "Other data" will include the OS, apps data (calendar, email, Remember, games saved data, misc apps saved data, BlackBerry Maps data like Fav Places, etc., and so on.).

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

I have 10 gig in other but I know I have many huge games that are over 1 gig in size that I have bought and it reflects that.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor
My Device: z10

But the issue is, is that even with an sd card I can't put any of my apps on there. So whenever I need to do an OS update I'll have to delete apps to make space... That's pretty pointless. 

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Donsync

I agree with your frustration, but how can this mean this is pointless?

Let's face facts for a minute and take a broader view.

• iOS does not allow to install apps on an SDCard
  • WindowsPhone does not allow to install apps on an SDCard
  • BlackBerry7 does not allow to install apps on an SDCard
  • BlackBerry10 does not allow to install apps on an SDCard
  • Android for the first two years, did not allow to install apps on an SDCard
  • Android starting 2.2 (2011) allows to install apps on an SDCard

That being said:

BlackBerry 10 allows developers to install an app on the device memory, and let all additional data be stored on the SDCard. examples where it can be useful:

• a mapping app can store the local map data on the SDcard
  • a streaming app can store the temporary cache data on the SDcard
  • a game can store the info of a given level on the SDcard

Unfortunately, developers rarely use that possibility, and prefer to store everything on the device memory.

I do not know what are the technical reasons for BlackBerry 10 to not allow apps to be installed on an SDCard. I wish I knew, and I hope BlackBerry is currently working on enabling installation on SDcards.

That being said, about the OS, indeed you need to free some space to install the OS. I don't see anything wrong with that, it is the same for MacOS upgrades and Windows Updates.

• The space required is around 1GB as far as I remember.
  • You may indeed have to delete an app prior to doing the upgrade then reinstall it (simply choose the biggest one !), I have noticed that the time lost doing that is quite small compared to the time of the entire OS upgrade, so yes it is a nuisance, but really not worth mentionning.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Solutions: 6,350
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Diztronic, one has never been able to install apps on the SD media card. That is not an issue.
>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

Xandrex wrote:

Donsync

I agree with your frustration, but how can this mean this is pointless?

Let's face facts for a minute and take a broader view.

• iOS does not allow to install apps on an SDCard

iOS doesn't even allow an SD card!  And we give BB a hard time....smfh

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: 4168787137

LoL, I was about to say that, but you said it first.
OS doesn't even allow an SD card! And we give BB a hard time....smfh
Trusted Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 & PlayBook

JSanders wrote:

The "Other data" will include the OS, apps data (calendar, email, Remember, games saved data, misc apps saved data, BlackBerry Maps data like Fav Places, etc., and so on.).

Why is Application Data labeled OTHER Data?   Why can't I remove it?  Why is that Data appearing on my SD card AND my local storage?

So far you haven't given any more inforamtion on this than anyone else. 

Can someone who is a developer or a BlackBerry employee please provide a verbose reason for this data, what the data is and why isn't it user removeable without going through some long winded processes?

IF YOU DO NOT KNOW -- PLEASE DON'T RESPOND, there are already plenty of posts of people speculating what the data is.  I am not interested in theories I am trying to find out what this data is exactly.

Trusted Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 & PlayBook

Xandrex wrote:

Donsync

That being said:

BlackBerry 10 allows developers to install an app on the device memory, and let all additional data be stored on the SDCard. examples where it can be useful:

• a mapping app can store the local map data on the SDcard
  • a streaming app can store the temporary cache data on the SDcard
  • a game can store the info of a given level on the SDcard

Unfortunately, developers rarely use that possibility, and prefer to store everything on the device memory.

I do not know what are the technical reasons for BlackBerry 10 to not allow apps to be installed on an SDCard. I wish I knew, and I hope BlackBerry is currently working on enabling installation on SDcards.

That being said, about the OS, indeed you need to free some space to install the OS. I don't see anything wrong with that, it is the same for MacOS upgrades and Windows Updates.

• The space required is around 1GB as far as I remember.
  • You may indeed have to delete an app prior to doing the upgrade then reinstall it (simply choose the biggest one !), I have noticed that the time lost doing that is quite small compared to the time of the entire OS upgrade, so yes it is a nuisance, but really not worth mentionning.

See these answers do not help.  I mean if this was application data, I am kind of shocked it is not labeled that way.  Also if this is just caching for Apps, why can't I delete the data myself? 

Does anyone have white papers that discuss this issue in detail or is everything about this kind of word of mouth with no one from BlackBerry taking any responsibility?

I have been looking for answers about this since March and it's always someone telling someone else what it is never someone proving a link to BlackBerry documentation that actually describes this issue and what you can do to reemedy it short of wiping your freaking phone!

Is that really too much to ask of BlackBerry?