Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 9320
My Carrier: O2

Z 10 Significant and unsolvable issues

3 days ago, I 'upgraded' to a Z 10...the last 3 days have been a washout as I have spent most of my time trying to resolve the endless problems with the device and the OS. The 'Guru' at my service provider also gave up today and I had to eventually return everything and go back to my old contract and old handset.

Some of the more obvious problems:

1. Blackberry Link does not download properly on to PCs. I have tried it on 3 different PCs in the last 72 hours and it has never installed without an error message saying that, basically, it hasn't installed properly.

2. Contacts are not copied across from my old device (9320)

3. Calendar cannot handle recurring entries - it shuts when you try this.

4. No settings, photos, apps are transferable.

5. Many apps just don't exist yet  (Shazam, WhatsApp + + + + )

6. The service provider is O2. They say all the issues above are known...

By any measure this is an inadequate launch and it seems that if you manage to get yours working (a new one is more likely to work than an upgrade with legacy accounts I am told) it is more by accident than intent. While the new OS has some good features, these are dwarfed by the inadequacy of a system that is 90% developed and a new desktop software that is also unfinished.

Cleary BB were in a hurry to produce this item in the high street. As a dedicated BB user since it first came out a decade or so ago I firmly believe they have been left so far behind and the problems are so numerous, irritating and complex that I am no longer able to be a guinea pig dealing with what should have been a beta launch rather than a formal launch.

Three frustrating days later I finally changed back to the basic handset, but as the Z10 has a micro-SD and a different operating system which is not supported by any other BB device, I have to wait for it to be activated - could be 24 hours.

An upgrade...frankly not in any way.

I would sell the stock short. And then move to any other system - one that works, as this one really doesn't.

NC

Forums Advisor III
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Z 10 Significant and unsolvable issues

[ Edited ]

nconto wrote:

3 days ago, I 'upgraded' to a Z 10...the last 3 days have been a washout as I have spent most of my time trying to resolve the endless problems with the device and the OS. The 'Guru' at my service provider also gave up today and I had to eventually return everything and go back to my old contract and old handset.

Some of the more obvious problems:

1. Blackberry Link does not download properly on to PCs. I have tried it on 3 different PCs in the last 72 hours and it has never installed without an error message saying that, basically, it hasn't installed properly.

This is a know issue for quite a few people, and I am very suprised that your "Guru" at O2 did not transfer you to Blackberry technical support so that they could properly pull the logs and get to the bottom of this issue. That honestly seems like inadequate training at the O2 support level, as it should have been escelated to Blackberry Level 2 support immediately.

This is something that Blackberry should be looking into, as there are a lot of posts here that suggest that the Carrier support teams are not doing their jobs properly as far as escalation is concerened.

2. Contacts are not copied across from my old device (9320)

If BB Link was not working then that would make it more difficult to transfer your contacts, but certainly not impossible. Smiley Happy

I believe that both a Bluetooth transfer and an uSD card transfer of this information should have been possible options for transfer from the 9320.

Mine seem to be fine, but that is not to say that there may be a bug of some sort, or maybe you had a corrupted calendar entry?

4. No settings, photos, apps are transferable.

Very blanket statement, but there are a number of things that ARE transferred between devices using Blackberry Link. Had your O2 rep transferred you to Blackberry support as they were supposed to you would have been able to transfer all of this from the old device.

5. Many apps just don't exist yet  (Shazam, WhatsApp + + + + )

Brand new OS, not exactly unexpected. If you want to see apps ported to a new platform, you need to be proactive.. not just complain that they don't exist. Smiley Happy I can easily see that complaining is apparently easier, there are a large number of posts with people complaining about the lack of apps, but very little action on the part of Blackberry users to help change that. How can you help? Read this.

6. The service provider is O2. They say all the issues above are known...

Again, you should have been sent to Blackberry level 2 support by the O2, and Blackberry really needs to get on these front line guys cases about not upping the support tickets. Blackberry needsto collect logs in order to solve these problems for their users.

By any measure this is an inadequate launch and it seems that if you manage to get yours working (a new one is more likely to work than an upgrade with legacy accounts I am told) it is more by accident than intent. While the new OS has some good features, these are dwarfed by the inadequacy of a system that is 90% developed and a new desktop software that is also unfinished.

Cleary BB were in a hurry to produce this item in the high street. As a dedicated BB user since it first came out a decade or so ago I firmly believe they have been left so far behind and the problems are so numerous, irritating and complex that I am no longer able to be a guinea pig dealing with what should have been a beta launch rather than a formal launch.

Three frustrating days later I finally changed back to the basic handset, but as the Z10 has a micro-SD and a different operating system which is not supported by any other BB device, I have to wait for it to be activated - could be 24 hours.

I personally do find the device great to use and many of the changes that they have made to the workflow are amazing. That said, I am not and probably won't be a heavy user of very many external apps. I am also fairly technically savvy and managed to get all of the info onto my new device without the use of Link, with some help from reading this forum, and I enjoy doing that kind of thing. A trait that makes me a good early adopter. Smiley Wink

As an early adopter you need to expect things to be different and for there to be a few bumps for the first while, if you aren't willing to be a guniea pig.. don't early adopt. This goes for just about all new hardware and software... not just Blackberries.

They certainly weren't in any kind of rush, or this would have been out a year ago and it would have been a total disaster like the Playbook was at first. Awesome piece of hardware and REALLY no software to back it up. They learned from that mistake and this device is frankly very useable.

You have to expect that with a v1.0 OS (which is what this is) that every feature that you had before may not be here yet, but I am more than willing to wait for them to all show up.

An upgrade...frankly not in any way.

Totaly disagree, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

I would sell the stock short. And then move to any other system - one that works, as this one really doesn't.

Lol.. If feel like trading short, go ahead.. but I am sure that there are other forums that would be more applicable for that type of discussion. Smiley Wink

Oh and 'unsolvable'? Really?? Love the drama! Smiley LOL

NC

-: DrewRead :-
Can't find an app on Blackberry World yet? Tweet the developer and ask when they will #GetWithBB10 !!
"Like it" if you like it. Smiley Happy
New Contributor

Interesting....

Whilst I cannot dispute the fact that the carrier support teams might need some training, this should not be an issue for the consumer, who let's face it has a choice.

The transfer methods suggested by 'drewread' below for moving data/contacts/apps/pictures etc doesn't work. we tried every avenue, including but not limited to the ones mentioned and also using the micro SD to back it all up to. Still didn't work.

The recurrent entry for the calendar is a widespread problem - a google search will validate this.

Whilst I agree with the sentiment of not just complaining, there are few avenues open to consumers other than this which is then used by the developers to fix problems. Not ideal - perhaps, I would welcome other suggestions that didn't suggest I should just accept an inferior product and not moan when it doesn't work.

Finally, there was zero drama in my statement that it was unsolvable. Simply the reality. After trying twice to replace the software in the device through BB-link, the Guru then tried various other fixes and the phone then froze. Dead. Nothing other than a spasmodically flashing red light. Two different sets of Gurus at two locations in London tried to get it going again but nothing doing. Their 'solution' was to start again with a new device...

Also, I have not mentioned many other failings as they are a constant in the blogs and probably not worthy of further blogging.

Let me put it this way - I have never owned an iPhone but I am certain that if any of the problems I highlight below occured with iPhone device or software it would not have been released. The issues are too fundamental (i.e. software that doesn't install properly) and the advantages are too few and too esoteric to matter to the vast majority of smartphone users.

Forums Advisor III

[ Edited ]

Right.. no issues on the iPhone, like Antennagate, or the recent maps and Siri debacles..
Smiley Wink

Can't find an app on Blackberry World yet? Tweet the developer and ask when they will #GetWithBB10 !!
BlackBerry Employee

nconto wrote:

Is it from recurring appointments or is it this issue with gmail's calendar?

New Contributor

Recurring entries from the calendar on my 9320 were not transferred - all the others migrated across.

When you manually enter a new appointment into the device itself, if you try and select the 'recurrence' key - it immediately closes the calendar.
New Contributor

p.s. Sorry - forgot to answer the actual question...

Nothing to do with gmail calendar - I don't use this.
BlackBerry Employee

[ Edited ]

nconto wrote:
p.s. Sorry - forgot to answer the actual question...

Nothing to do with gmail calendar - I don't use this.

What type of calendar is it and what protocol is it using?  I've never seen a crash on attempting to create recurring entries.

Also BlackBerry link will have a MSI log file in you %tmp% folder which should be used for troubleshooting a failed installation.  You'll likely need to get a support ticket opened to analyze this.  KB33542 is a potential cause of Link failing to install. 

For some setttings/data not transerring KB33523 covers what should be expected from a device switch.

New Contributor

It's the 'Calendar' on the Z10 device.

thanks for advice
Forums Advisor III

Just set one up on my calendar no problem. Can you tell us what steps you took to have it crash out?