Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Z10 Battery Problems

The phone was fully charged this morning but after 4 hours the battery was at 50%. I wasn't doing much on the phone during those 4 hours other than a few messages and a bit scrolling reddit on the app but no wi-fi, bluetooth, or nfc were turned on. Not sure why the battery would decrease so fast in a 4 hour window. 

I'm running the 10.2 release which I updated last Wednesday on the z10 but I don't believe that's the issue because I feel as if the phone was working fine earlier this week. No changes were made but I did install a new app which I sortly deleted because it was useless. App manager doesn't show anything running that shouldn't be there so I'm curious. Maybe a reload of the OS would fix this but just curious if anyone else has been experiecing anything.

I should really invest in a good battery monitor for these situations.

Elite I
My Device: Passport & PlayBook
My Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Re: Z10 Battery Problems

How old is the battery?

It may be the battery is just reaching end of life.  Other than age, how you use the battery and environmental factors can shorten life.

- Ira
Trusted Contributor

Got a new battery back in April/May because I killed the other battery when my friend used a playbook charger to charge my phone, I was unaware until after.

Doubt the battery is reaching end of life after that short of time. Is there a way to tell how much life it has? Some of the apps on the appworld say they show the "health" of the battery but not sure how accurate those would be.
Elite I
My Device: Passport & PlayBook
My Carrier: T-Mobile USA

It is acceptable to use the PlayBook charger to charge a BlackBerry handset.  If the battery went bad it was something else. 

Running lithium ion batteries down flat before charging is not good.  Hot temperatures (leaving in a closed up car in the sun) is not good.  Cold isn't bad, but freezing the battery is bad.

I don't know about the various apps.  

My bet is bad battery. 

- Ira
Trusted Contributor
My Device: BB Passport, Z10 and PlayBook 64Gb
My Carrier: Proximus (BE)

If you are often in weak coverage area, this could drain the battery quite quickly.

Check the settings and try "limiting" the cellular network to 3G, or even 2G and see if this affects the drain.

What about background applications that may also impact autonomy?

Hope this helps.

------------------------------------------------
Please don't forget to mark as "solved" if your question is replied and to "like" a useful reply to your post ;-)
Trusted Contributor

Definitely not in a weak coverage area, I have full LTE coverage. The problem of the battery draining faster only started happening recently and nothing really changed on the phone so like aiharkness said, it's probably a bad battery.

The only apps running on the phone this morning were all the basic ones plus the Remember app and AlienFlow (Reddit app). Typically these are running and I've had no problems before so it's strange for it to all of a sudden change on me.

Before I go ahead and buy a new battery, I'll buy a trusted app to monitor the battery and see what happens. Might also try a reload of the OS just to be sure. Appreciate the help.
Trusted Contributor
My Device: BB Passport, Z10 and PlayBook 64Gb
My Carrier: Proximus (BE)

Then indeed this could come from a defective battery (if this is the only "parameter" that has been changed recently) but unfortunately I cannot advice a reliable battery software from my own experience.

I've heard that most of them provide rather random results... for what it's worth.

Good luck.

------------------------------------------------
Please don't forget to mark as "solved" if your question is replied and to "like" a useful reply to your post ;-)