Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Reply
Posts: 94,493
Likes: 24,392
Solutions: 6,349
Registered: ‎04-01-2008
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Z10 Battery Suddenly Draining Faster


myrusty66 wrote:

I tried the kill all running apps option and they went away and taskmanager reported that it saved 0kB from the killed apps.

 

What now???

 


Good. They were draining your battery.

 

If you have one of those battery apps running, some of them show the "power" being consumed. That should be less now.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV


1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
Posts: 9
Registered: ‎01-15-2014
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Re: Z10 Battery Suddenly Draining Faster

I would ask why are those apps running in the background?  Wouldn't the multiple battery pulls I've done this week get rid of them?  Will they come back?  Do I have to continually monitor Taskmanager for them?

 

I guess it really doesn't matter too much at this point as after 3 hours, my battery is still draining rapidly at more than 10% per hour, so these mysterious apps were evidently not the reason...

Posts: 94,493
Likes: 24,392
Solutions: 6,349
Registered: ‎04-01-2008
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Z10 Battery Suddenly Draining Faster

Give it a few days. Check back with Task Manager to make sure those apps are still completely closed.

 

What is your Operating System loaded to your device? From the main screen, swipe down from the top black bezel to Settings > About... what is the OS Version listed there?

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV


1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
Posts: 9
Registered: ‎01-15-2014
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Re: Z10 Battery Suddenly Draining Faster

Not sure if this phone has a few days at this point.  If I'm tied to a charging cord, how is it a mobile phone???  I do appreciate all the suggestions to fix this problem, but nothing seems to be working.

 

I tried deleting the calendar appts today and after a re-boot and reloading the calendar while it was on the charger, I took it off and within an hour, it had lost 20% of the battery.  I'm not sure what to do next, is it just a bad battery?

 

Yes, some of those mysterious apps came back on the Taskmanager again today, but as I said yesterday, I killed them and then the battery still drained fast.

 

I am on OS 10.1.0.4780, which says it's current when I check it.  This is the OS that has been on there for months when it was holding a charge all day long too.

 

As I said before, I can't think of a change that happened at the same time as the battery drain started.

 

I do have a few sideloaded apps on it that have been on there for a while, at least a couple of weeks before the draining started, maybe I'll try to take those off this weekend.

 

 

Forums Advisor III
Posts: 1,177
Registered: ‎01-23-2009
My Device: Samsung Galaxy S2, Samsung Galaxy S3, Samsung Galaxy Note 4, BlackBerry Torch 9800, BlackBerry Z10, Blackberry Z30, BlackBerry Priv
My Carrier: Fido

Re: Z10 Battery Suddenly Draining Faster

This battery drains are pretty weird .... I`m wondering if the network does something weird by remotely activating something in the phone.... (conspiracy theory alert !!!)

Posts: 94,493
Likes: 24,392
Solutions: 6,349
Registered: ‎04-01-2008
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Z10 Battery Suddenly Draining Faster

Some of those same apps keep appearing in TaskManager? Which?

 

Also, I would encourage you to upgrade to OS 10.2.1.1925. It is quite good on the battery and you have more features to deal with rogue apps and measuring their impact on the battery.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV


1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Regular Contributor
Posts: 64
Registered: ‎04-24-2009
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: VZW

Re: Z10 Battery Suddenly Draining Faster


myrusty66 wrote:

Not sure if this phone has a few days at this point.  If I'm tied to a charging cord, how is it a mobile phone???  I do appreciate all the suggestions to fix this problem, but nothing seems to be working.

 

I tried deleting the calendar appts today and after a re-boot and reloading the calendar while it was on the charger, I took it off and within an hour, it had lost 20% of the battery.  I'm not sure what to do next, is it just a bad battery?

 

Yes, some of those mysterious apps came back on the Taskmanager again today, but as I said yesterday, I killed them and then the battery still drained fast.

 

I am on OS 10.1.0.4780, which says it's current when I check it.  This is the OS that has been on there for months when it was holding a charge all day long too.

 

As I said before, I can't think of a change that happened at the same time as the battery drain started.

 

I do have a few sideloaded apps on it that have been on there for a while, at least a couple of weeks before the draining started, maybe I'll try to take those off this weekend.

 

 


I thoroughly agree with JSanders that an OS update to the proven stable leak he mentions is in order. I've never attempted to sideload an Android app due to the problems you are experiencing. I've just read about too many issues with sideloading...getting the correct Andriod run time and debug tokens and then maybe the app will work and not cause problems...I said to myself, No Thanks.  I'm normally too busy to deal with issues like that. From what I've read, for running Android apps, the leaked OS has some features your current OS does not have. Heck, I haven't loaded the leak myself because I read it takes 2 hours or more to get your device back to fully loaded. Too much work to let that happen right now. Best of luck.

VZW Z10 on OS 10.2.1.2234
Regular Contributor
Posts: 64
Registered: ‎04-24-2009
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: VZW

Re: Z10 Battery Suddenly Draining Faster


JSanders wrote:

Some of those same apps keep appearing in TaskManager? Which?

 

Also, I would encourage you to upgrade to OS 10.2.1.1925. It is quite good on the battery and you have more features to deal with rogue apps and measuring their impact on the battery.


Will this leak allow reloading from a back up? i've read that process doesn't alway work so well and that it's safer to reload from scratch.

VZW Z10 on OS 10.2.1.2234
Posts: 94,493
Likes: 24,392
Solutions: 6,349
Registered: ‎04-01-2008
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Z10 Battery Suddenly Draining Faster

You can restore from backup or not, your choice.

 

I chose not to restore on my first install of 10.2.1, so as to not ALSO restore some of my previous issues.

 

 

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV


1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Regular Contributor
Posts: 64
Registered: ‎04-24-2009
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: VZW

Re: Z10 Battery Suddenly Draining Faster


JSanders wrote:

You can restore from backup or not, your choice.

 

I chose not to restore on my first install of 10.2.1, so as to not ALSO restore some of my previous issues.

 

 


Thanks for the response. Yes...the idea is to remove issues, not restore them. Fortunatley, I have no issues at the current time. I had an app the other day that suggested an update. Update caused me to lose Notifications. App is gone and notifications are back...

VZW Z10 on OS 10.2.1.2234