Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: T-Mobile, vodafone, o2

Z10 Exchange 2003 - 300 MB Data usage in 7 hours

Hi Folks,

I just investigated why the battery of my Z10 was draining that much. It lost 10% a hour just lying around without moving.

First I was thinking that Fast Dormancy wasn't supportet on my network (O2 Germany/Telefonica). But then I made a very strange investigation. The Z10 pumped 300 MB through the wireless network in just one day. Only with a single Exchange Account added (and BBM).

As I heard of strange issues regarding iOS 6.1 in combination with an Exchange 2007 server - somehow I seem to have the exact same issue here.

Setup:

Exchange 2003 Account with about 250 adresses, lots of mails in lots of folders, lot of dates in the calendar. I wiped the machine clear before this test and set up the sync to 1 day so not that many items would be synced. Then setup and synced the exchange account through my WLAN. The only other thing I set up was BBM (1 contact and 1 group) without much traffic.

Switched of the WLAN then and only operated the O2-Network. 10% drop of battery per hour. Not using the device. Just checking the battery status. Reception was very good with 4-5 bars and H+.

When I checked the net-usage I found out the device had used 300 MB of network traffic in the 7 hours it was sitting there without using it.

Next day I deleted the exchange account on the device and just synced my google mails with IMAP. I was down to 1% battery per hour.

So -> whats wrong with the Z10 in connection with an Exchange 2003 account. Or: what wrong with my Exchange account (which works well with iOS and Android!).

Any idea?

Greetings

Erik

Contributor
My Device: Iphone 4 - S3 - Z10 - PlayBook - Nexus 7
My Carrier: Super Duper Scooby Doo Network

Re: Z10 Exchange 2003 - 300 MB Data usage in 7 hours

I'm wondering the same thing.. 

One user attached to our BES 10 is having the same issue.. without the exchange 2003 account it seems normal.

In 3 hours he droped 35% of his battery.

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: blackberry z10
My Carrier: Bell

Would love an answer to this
New Contributor
My Device: blackberry z10

Also using Outlook 2007 but with the active sync setup
Regular Contributor
My Device: Passport
My Carrier: TELUS

We are also having the exact same problem. Exchange 2003 as well. I am currently getting approximate 3-4 hrs n the battery. I believe we have isolated it to the personal mail account syncing via active sync with exchange 2003. In my work profile I had a bes10 account syncing to exchange 2013 (we are migrating mail servers). Further mail/contacts/cal etc all sync perfectly on my work profile. On the exchange 2003 / personal side syncing is haphazard at best. Also a bug we have noticed is that if the device drains the battery fully and dies when you recharge it takes between 1-2 hours before the exchange 2003 / bb10 starts syncing mags again. It appears to be a disaster. We know it isn't an exchange issue as iPhones sync fine. No issues. It appears to be the combination of exchange 2003. Active sync and bb10 Has anyone else noticed this and or solved this issue
Contributor

The phone that is draining quickly is being exchanged for a new one.

He took his off the charger at 7:30 am without much use other then checking the time he is at 65% battery. 

I took mine off at 8:15 and after checking email and browsing the web a wee bit i'm at 95%

Same exchange 2003 server connected to a bed 10 BDS service.

Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have the same setup and the same problem

After chokingly seeing that I had used up more than 4GB in less than 2 weeks (I am on a 1GB plan) – where as I on my old 9800 was using 2-4ooMB/month – and battery life was really bad,  I wiped the device.

I was 98% of the time on wifi but data was turned on for the network provider, and the usage was always 1MB/minute with sessions ranging from half an hour up to 14 hours.

After the wipe I then turned off data and added Exchange active sync only. Nothing else, no other accounts just the default installation.

When it was finished getting all the mails, contacts and calendar items, I turned data on.

I had it like that for 20 minutes until I turned data off.

When I checked my usage I saw a session lasting 17:34 min and a usage of 17:64 MB.

To me clearly this is a bug in the OS. Why would it not use wifi for the syncing when that is available.

And why is it constantly pulling? I have it set up to sync only every 15 minutes.

When I look in the Exchange logs I see activity with my Z10 happening every second.

Contributor

[ Edited ]

I can't pull the data usage for the devices as i can't find where to do this yet, but i suspect we are seeing the same issue with this one device. The battery is very hot when the phone is just sitting there doing nothing.

The active sync logs see constant activity with his user account but i'm not sure what is causing this issue. We didn't have simlar issues with his s3 or 9860 (besx 5.0.3)

THe other z10s (3 others) attached to the BES10 server using active sync don't the same issue.

He did have 10 devices register with active sync (downloaded and installed mobile admin for exchange 2003) and i delete all the old ones. He did have a playbook, 2 android tablets and his z10 showing as active.

Not sure where to go from here.

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook & 9900
My Carrier: Rogers

Have the same issue.  Had Rogers waive data overage charges until we can sort out what the issue is.  

Check advanced settings and disable folder sync for all but the key folders.  That may have something to do with it.

But there is definitely some issue/bug. 

I also think it may relate to the phone downloading all attachments on every email as opposed to just email headers.

Issue has also been posted on crackberry forum. 

Contributor

Have you tried turning off data? When I do this I have no battery issues. For me it was not an attachment issue.
I see a usage of quite precisely 1MB/min plus a bit of email data on top if there are any in that session.