Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: giffgaff

Z10 Hotmail problem

Dear Support Forum, having recently purchased a lovely z10 the first thing I try to do is to set up my email accounts. My primary personal account is a long standing hotmail.com one that has served me very well over the years. The process looks simple but if I try to set up an account i get the following response. expecting delimiter: line 1 column 115 (char 115) If i try to set up a hotmail account, its the same response but with 187 in place of the 115's. The only thing that may be "different" is that I have not yet put a sim in this phone but have successfully hooked into wifi. I can browse the web and access hotmail that way. I have also successfully added facebook,linkedin and googlemail accounts. little help please.... Many thanks
Forums Veteran I
My Device: BB

Re: Z10 Hotmail problem

You must put the SIM Card in.

New Contributor

Was using wifi and managed to get all other accounts to setup. Slipped the SIM card in and it unfortunately made no difference. I have duplicated the (working) settings from my playbook and these also result in the same error. I am faced with 3 possibles here, Device / software problem (but it sets up other accounts), a microsoft / hotmail / outlook problem (that is blocking my ability to access my account .... does anyone know if there is a limit to the number of mobile devices that can access a single hotmail account? ) and thirdly and obviously least likely.... operator error.. To be fair to myself I have checked this dozens of times and am still coming up with the same error. Further assistance appreciated thanks
Forums Veteran I

You may consider the option below and if you do I would suggest setting up email accounts as the first thing to do after Restore.

You can restore your phone to factory settings if you wish to see if it corrects your issue. Resetting to factory settings will wipe out all your data so you should save it first. To save all your stuff download and install BlackBerry Link on your computer from the link below. Resetting will not back-up the OS on your phone. Once you have downloaded and installed BlackBerry Link connect your phone to your computer and save your stuff. Once saved disconnect your phone from the computer.

To reset your phone: tap the Settings App, scroll down and tap Security and Privacy, tap Security Wipe, tap the blank box and enter blackberry.

Once Wiped reconnect your phone to your computer and install your stuff.

http://us.blackberry.com/software/desktop/blackberry-link.html

http://ca.blackberry.com/software/desktop/blackberry-link.html

New Contributor

Jeepers, I haven even had it 24hrs
I unbxed it yesterday evening. Will give it a try when I get home...... it just seems rather drastic on a brand new phone
Forums Veteran I

Do you have a Data Plan on your SIM Card?

Highlighted
New Contributor

Yes, have a data allowance through giffgaff. Have wiped and started from scratch. Still coming up with the same error. Just like yesterday, first thing I tried to do was to setup my hotmail account. I don't think I'll bother tormenting myself by setting up the ones that I already know work. I suspect I am making a trip back to the carphone warehouse tomorrow to exchange. The really annoying thing is that my 9320 (work phone) works perfectly as does my playbook..... and my mototola xt 910 that the z10 is meant to be replacing..
My Device: Q10SQN100-3/10.2.1.2141

Re: Z10 Hotmail problem (SOLUTION: CHANGE PASSWORD)

[ Edited ]

I had the exact same problem, but eventually managed to solve it. I'll explain what I did here, even though I know the OP has since abandoned his BlackBerry because of this very problem (see http://forums.crackberry.com/blackberry-z10-f254/z10-cannot-setup-hotmail-outlook-email-v-strange-87... and http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook_com/forum/oemail-oapps/outlookcom-on-bb10-device/75dc80b9...).

I had had my Outlook.com email account set up and working flawlessly on my BlackBerry Q10 flawlessly for over six months, until one day (today) it suddenly started exhibiting issues. For instance, draft emails would not save and I could not access my filed emails, among other issues. So I thought, "hmm... deleting and readding the account should fix the issue." But it didn't. I got this exact error message every time and method I used to attempt to setup the account:

Expecting , delimiter: line 1 column 236 (char 236)

which I took to read as "Expecting comma delimiter..." which is a classic API issue.

Right away this sounded like a server-side issue, so to verify I created a dummy Outlook.com and set it up on my BlackBerry, and it worked flawlessly. There--proof that this had nothing to do with the fact that I was running a leaked OS. Phew.

Then I thought, "is there some sort of setting on Outlook.com's web client that I could change?" There wasn't, but then it hit me. "What if if change my password?" I logged into Outlook.com in a web browser and changed my password.

And that was it. It worked! I deleted the dummy account and went on my merry way with my fantastic Q10.

Forums Veteran I

Thanks for the update.

New Contributor

Chaz95,

Many thanks for the response. In my quest for a solution, I also set up a dummy outlook.com email account which also failed in exactly the same manner. 

If I still had the phone I would try changing my password. As it is, I returned the phone and got a refund. I was very dissappointed to be doing so. The phone worked perfectly with the exception of being able to set up my primary email account. This rendered it useless to me. 

The responses from this forum and crackberry have been helpful. The responses from Blackberry themselves have been non existent. With "service" like this, it is easy to understand why some may shy away from Blackberry in favour of something else. 

thanks again

McG